The world’s first baby bottle was patented back in 1841. From that moment to the present day, it has been actively improved by various specialists, and you can find a variety of its modifications on the shelves of modern stores. As a rule, bottles are purchased even before childbirth, so that by the time of discharge from the hospital there is no need for additional “raids” on children’s stores and pharmacies.
What bottles to buy, in what quantity, and which brands to pay attention to?
The content of the article:
- Types of baby feeding bottles and water
- Manufacturers of the best baby bottles – ranking
- How many and what bottles should I buy?
Types of baby bottles for feeding and water – the main criteria for choosing bottles for a baby from 0 to a year
In Soviet times, choosing a bottle did not take much time – the market did not offer a rich assortment. And today, the choice of such a seemingly simple subject rests on a whole list of criteria and requirements. What can we say about trade marks, of which there are a great many on modern “children’s” counters.
Everything you need to feed a newborn baby – a memo to a young mother
What should you pay special attention to?
Glass or plastic?
Today, in the production of bottles, they use …
- Glass. Pros: sterilization, easy maintenance, durability. Disadvantages: inconvenience, heavy weight, risk of breaking the bottle while feeding.
- Silicone. Pros: imitation of mother’s breast in thermal conductivity and elasticity, safety. Disadvantages: Long-term sterilization is not recommended.
- Plastic. Pros: lightweight, comfortable, unbreakable. Disadvantages: when warm / hot liquids get into it, cheap plastic can emit harmful substances, therefore, when choosing such a bottle, it is recommended to focus on a manufacturer with a good reputation.
Which shape should you choose?
Modern technologies have provided manufacturers with ample opportunities to create bottles that are truly comfortable for mothers and babies.
The most popular forms:
- Classic. It is convenient to wash, but inconvenient to hold for the baby.
- With a wide throat. Good for formula feeding.
- With a narrow throat. Good for water and juices.
- Curly. These bottles are comfortable for the baby’s hands, but for the mother, this shape is a real headache. It is extremely difficult to wash such a bottle.
- Drinking bottle. An older version of a bottle for toddlers who are already taught to drink on their own. The bottle is a container with handles, a sealed lid and a special spout.
- Anti-colic. Special modern bottles, which are distinguished by the presence of an air valve that provides pressure control. In such a bottle, the nipple does not stick together, the air does not enter the child’s stomach, and food flows to him uninterruptedly. The valve can be located at the bottom, on the nipple itself, or as part of an anti-colic device used.
Why does colic occur and when will colic in infants go away – the diet of mother and child with colic in the abdomen in newborns
Bottle nipples – selectable by shape, material and hole size
- Silicone. High strength, long service life, easy maintenance.
- Latex. Low cost, fast deformation.
- Rubber. Presence of rubbery taste and odor, rapid loss of shape and properties.
- Spherical classic: the top is rounded, the shape is elongated, the presence of a “skirt” to protect against air intake, wide base.
- Orthodontic: flattened shape, forms a correct bite.
- Pulling: imitates the sucking process, requires effort when sucking. Recommended for mixed feeding.
- Anti-colic: protects against gastrointestinal problems and regurgitation.
Hole size selection
Important: the number and size of holes directly depends on the age of the toddler and the type of liquid. The baby should not choke when using the nipple, but there should also be no fatigue from sucking.
- For the smallest the little man will have enough nipples with 1 hole, from which 1 drop per second drips, if you turn the bottle upside down.
- A nipple with several holes is purchased for a grown-up toddler, as soon as you begin to notice that the baby is very tense when sucking, gets tired and malnourished.
- Large holes in the nipple – for liquid cereals.
7 most useful gadgets for moms
How often to change nipples and bottles?
- Latex nipples – once every 2 months.
- Silicone nipples – every 3-5 months.
- Plastic and silicone bottles – every 6 months.
What else do you need to keep in mind when choosing a bottle?
- Completeness. A set with a bottle may include nipples of different sizes, supports and lids, as well as removable handles, etc. Pay attention to the presence of the cap!
- Tightness. If you shake the bottle, nothing should twist off and fall off.
- Quality. The bottle and nipples should not smell anything, and the packaging should contain an inscription about the absence of bisphenol A, etc. Be sure to check for a certificate.
- Trademark. The choice depends only on the buyer, but for the safety of the baby, it is better to focus on proven brands and companies with a good reputation.
- Dosage labels. Ideal if the marks are embossed (raised), because the marks printed on the bottle wear off over time from washing and boiling. Pay attention to the accuracy of the scale (unfortunately, many manufacturers are guilty of the accuracy of the marks), especially if you plan to feed the child with a mixture.
- The presence of a temperature scale indicator. This “option” will allow mom to control the temperature of the liquid in the bottle. This function will be especially useful for a family, where the baby often stays with his dad, who does not understand what temperature the liquid in the bottle should actually be.
Manufacturers of the best baby bottles – ranking of the most convenient baby bottles
There are a great many manufacturers of baby bottles in Russia today, but we will note the 10 most popular of them that have become in demand due to the quality and convenience of their products.
Average price: 480 rubles.
Country of origin: Great Britain.
Features: wide neck, the presence of an anti-colic system in the nipples (as well as the ability to regulate the flow of fluid), compactness, high quality.
Average price: 600 rubles.
Country of origin: USA.
Features: the presence of an anti-colic system, a wide neck, lightness, a wide base of the nipple.
Average price: 450 rubles.
Country of origin: Great Britain.
Features: anatomical nipple, wide neck, anti-colic system.
Average price: from 400 rubles.
Country of origin: Switzerland.
The assortment includes regular bottles, sippy cups, bottles with smart pumps, and so on.
Features: full imitation of breastfeeding, universal size and shape, anti-colic system, Swiss top quality.
Average price: from 250-300 rubles.
Country of origin: Germany.
Features: high strength, striking design, imitation of natural feeding, choice of orthodontic and anti-colic nipples, narrow neck.
Average price: from 330-600 rubles.
Country of origin: Italy.
Features: wide neck, stability, anatomical nipples, large selection of glass bottles.
The world of childhood
Average price: from 160-200 rubles.
Country of origin: Russia.
Features: wide neck, ergonomic shape, anti-colic system, striking design. They perfectly tolerate sterilization, do not contain harmful substances.
Average price: from 500 rubles.
Country of origin: USA.
Features: removable bottom, anti-colic system, inclined shape, wide neck, imitation of natural breast sucking, thermal sensors.
Average price: from 250 rubles.
Country of origin: France.
Features: the ability to regulate the flow of liquid, the presence of a protective cap, wide neck, anti-colic system.
Average price: from 150-300 rubles.
Country of origin: Poland.
Features: the presence of an anti-colic system, maximum proximity to natural feeding, wide neck, comfortable use, increased strength of the nipple.
How many and what feeding bottles and water do you need to buy for a baby’s birth – how to care for baby bottles?
Some moms and dads fill the bedside tables with bottles, others buy one at a time and change only when necessary.
How many bottles does a baby really need?
- For the baby who just came into the world, a 120 ml bottle will suffice.
- For an older toddler who already eats more than 120 ml at a time, we need bigger bottles – 240 ml each.
- For babies on artificial feeding, at least 6 bottles are needed: 180-240 ml for milk and 80-100 ml for water / tea.
- For naturally fed babies – 4 bottles, 80-100 ml each for water, juice and supplementary feed.
How to care for feeding bottles – basic rules
The most important thing in bottle care is timely sterilization and replacement.
It is pointless to argue about the need for sterilization – it is mandatory for babies up to 1-1.5 years old.
Sterilization methods – choose the most convenient:
- Boiling. Fill clean disassembled bottles with water, put on fire, after boiling water, boil over low heat for about 10 minutes. The boiling time for silicone nipples is no more than 3 minutes.
- Cold processing. We dissolve a special tablet with disinfecting properties in water, lower the bottles for the time specified according to the instructions. The method is highly controversial given the chemical composition of the drug.
- Microwave. Simple and convenient: we put the washed bottles in a glass container filled with water and, setting the maximum temperature, sterilize the children’s dishes in the microwave for several minutes.
- Steam. A gentle, dish-friendly and effective way of dish disinfection. You can use a regular steamer for a few minutes, or lower a colander into a pot of water, and then place the bottles there with the neck down for 3-4 minutes.
- Multicooker. No less convenient way than a double boiler. We put in the device a sieve for steaming food, put the washed bottles in it, pour water to the bottom, press the “steam” button and turn it off after 5 minutes.
- Shop sterilizer. This device is designed exclusively for the disinfection of children’s dishes. If you have such a device, you do not need to look for other methods of sterilization: we just install all parts of the bottles in the device and start the device.
- Be sure to sterilize the bottles after each use. New bottles are decontaminated too!
- Before sterilization, it is compulsory to wash the bottles.
- We change plastic bottles every 6 months, and nipples every month.
- To wash bottles, we use only safe products: baby soap, soda, mustard or special ECO products for washing baby dishes.
- When washing the bottles, we use a baby (!) Brush, which should also be disinfected periodically. This brush cannot be used for any other purpose.
- Drying the bottles after sterilization! There should be no water left at the bottom (bacteria will quickly multiply in it).
The Bologny.ru website thanks you for your attention to the article – we hope it was useful to you. Please share your feedback and advice with our readers!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!