6 best quick ways to relieve muscle soreness after exercise
Do your muscles hurt after training? So, as they say, you did not try well! But seriously, muscle pain that appears 1-2 days after exercise is quite normal. Muscles worked – that means they should hurt. True, in the case when the pain causes significant discomfort, a more precise cause should be sought. How to relieve pain and protect yourself from it in the future?
The content of the article:
Causes of muscle pain after exercise
There are many theories for the onset of muscle pain. We will highlight the main ones:
- The action of lactic acid. Accumulating rather quickly in muscle cells, it is a certain by-product of physiological processes. When it leaves the body, uncomfortable sensations arise, and with repeated workouts, this acid becomes more and more. This substance is washed out by the blood within 24 hours, and its accumulation in the muscles during exercise is absolutely safe.
- Delayed pain. It happens that muscle pain “covers” only on the 2-3rd day of classes. The reason is in microtrauma of muscle fibers. There is nothing to be afraid of: muscle injury provokes the body to activate the defenses and increase the secretion of hormones to quickly get rid of toxins from the muscles and restore damage. After 3-4 workouts, the pain begins to subside. It is recommended to constantly change loads and intensity of training.
- Increased muscle reactivity. This case is due to an aggravation of the sensitivity of the nerve endings due to heavy muscle loads due to a change in the biological balance of fluid and salt. That is, imbalance. In addition to pain, this cause can also lead to cramps in the calf muscles. For prophylaxis, stretching “before and after” is recommended, as well as compensation for fluid deficiency right in the process of training.
- Overtraining. With a constant feeling of weakness in the muscles, severe pain and loss of strength, you can safely conclude that the body is exhausted – you have overtrained. In terms of biochemistry, this is due to nitrogen imbalance or the loss of more protein than you receive. Persistent symptoms lead to a decrease in immunity, to hormonal and menstrual irregularities, and even to infertility.
- Injury. In this case, the pain has an aching and chilling character, aggravated by sudden movements and with a load of any force. It is often accompanied by swelling at the site of injury, as well as a deterioration in general condition. The onset of pain is immediate, less often the next day.
- Full amplitude workouts (horizontal press with a barbell, deadlift on absolutely straight legs and deep squats, etc.). In addition to stretching the muscles, the fact of receiving a load in those areas of amplitude where it does not exist in ordinary life is also noted. Pain relief can be achieved through partial amplitude training.
6 best quick ways to get rid of muscle soreness after exercise
How can you relieve pain quickly? The best express methods are for your attention!
- Water procedures
Contrary to stereotypes, it is cold water that reduces muscle pain, but alternating cold and warm water will be most effective. This can be a contrast shower for 10 minutes, or a warm bath (for 20 minutes, with sea salt), followed by a cold shower or cold shower.
One of the best ways to relieve pain is with a combination of low / high temperatures and an abundant drinking regime.
- Swimming in cold water
Regardless of the muscle group trained and the intensity of the exercise, swimming (especially regular swimming) for 15-20 minutes relieves pain more effectively than other methods. Many athletes with post-workout sore throats become big fans of swimming. Pain relief occurs by improving blood circulation and vasodilation.
If there is no professional masseur nearby, then you can do it on your own. The most important thing is to warm up the muscles and puncture painful areas for blood to flow to them. You can use olive oil to warm up the muscles with the addition of 2-3 drops of essential oil (clary sage, lavender, marjoram). Also popular today are massage rollers (approx. – Pilates machines), which improve blood flow in the muscles and help reduce pain. The procedure with such a roller lasts about 15 minutes.
An option for the laziest. Ointments from the pharmacy with herbs, essential oils and bile, balms or anti-inflammatory creams. Usually, such agents contain active ingredients or special substances for influencing pain receptors (voltaren, capsicam, etc.).
Yes exactly. Warm up immediately after training. The muscles have to work, especially the antagonist muscles. Does your back hurt? This means that you need to “pump” the pectoral muscles. Does your biceps hurt? Swing your triceps. Stretching before and after exercising reduces the risk of pain by 50%. In addition, warmed muscles reduce the risk of injury.
How to avoid muscle soreness after exercising in your next workouts?
So that muscle pains do not torment you after training, remember the main rules for their prevention:
- Proper nutrition
The amount of protein absorbed must match the amount consumed. It is also worth remembering that to restore the body, you need 2-4 g / per 1 kg of weight – carbohydrates (per day), about 2 g / per 1 kg of body weight – protein, as well as about 20% of the total number of calories as non-harmful fats. …
Its amount per day depends on the weight. Calculation of the formula: human weight x 0.04 = amount of water / day. Due to the lack of water consumed, the body’s ability to eliminate toxins is impaired, and the process of muscle recovery takes much longer and more difficult. Drink water!
- Cardio exercise
Recovery is accelerated by 3-4 cardio workouts per week. Supplemental oxygen and accelerated blood circulation contribute to the rapid elimination of lactic acid and directly toxins.
- After training – water treatments!
We alternate between cold and hot water in 3-5 cycles.
- Don’t forget about massage
After training – independent (or ask someone to “stretch” the muscles), and once a month – professional.
One of the most important are fatty acids (300 mg per 1 kg of body weight), which reduce the inflammatory process in the muscles and stimulate the immune system. We are looking for them in linseed oil and fish oil.
- Cycle your workouts
Alternate sessions with a high number of repetitions (from 10 to 15) and solid weight with sessions with a low number of repetitions of exercises (from 6 to 8) and low weight.
- Refrain from workouts that last more than 1 hour
The maximum training time is 45 minutes. After an hour of training, testosterone levels decrease and cortisol levels rise.
With a lack of it, the level of cortisol begins to go off-scale, as a result of which the recovery process is disrupted and the risk of injury increases. The optimal time for normal sleep is 8 hours.
- Supplemental antioxidant intake
It is necessary for the neutralization of decay products in the body. We are looking for antioxidants in retinol, carotenes, in ascorbic acid and tocopherol, in selenium, in succinic acid, as well as in flavonoids (blue cabbage and cherries, raisins, dark grapes).
- Drinking watermelon
One of the methods to quickly recover from exercise. Watermelon juice (only natural!) Relieves muscle pain, thanks to the amino acid in its composition (L-citrulline), which promotes the removal of lactic acid from the body. Drink this juice one hour before class and one hour after.
- Foods That May Ease Pain
In addition to watermelon juice, there are also black currants, blackberries with blueberries, cranberry and grape juices. The anthocyanins found in these foods can help reduce inflammation and pain levels. Peeled potatoes, cucumbers and figs with pomegranate, walnuts and parsley, ginger will also be useful for these purposes. Do not forget about decoctions from licorice (the most effective), from chamomile and linden, from wild rose or currant leaves, from the bark of white willow, bearberry or St. John’s wort.
When is it worth contacting a specialist?
Joint and muscle pain should not be confused. Joint pain, as opposed to muscle pain, is a very serious problem that can lead to critical injuries. Remember, too, that severe muscle damage can result from chronic overuse. Therefore, the reason for going to the doctor is pain that lasts more than 72 hours.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!