Adaptation of the child in kindergarten. What Parents Should Know About This
For the first time crossing the threshold of kindergarten, the baby actually enters into a new life. And this stage is difficult not only for dad and mom and educators, but mainly for the child himself. This is a serious stress for the child’s psyche and health. What are the features of the adaptation of a baby in kindergarten, and how to prepare for it?
The content of the article:
Adaptation in kindergarten. How does it proceed?
No matter how fantastic it may seem, but stress, which is experienced by a child who finds himself in kindergarten for the first time, is, in the opinion of psychologists, equal to the overload of an astronaut. Why?
- It hits into a completely new environment…
- His body is exposed disease attack with a vengeance.
- He has to learn to live in society…
- Most of the day he spends without mom…
Manifestations of maladjustment in a child in kindergarten
- Negative emotions. From mild to depression and worse. The severe degree of such a state can be expressed in different ways – either through hyperactivity, or through a complete lack of desire in the child to make contact.
- Tears. Almost no baby can do without this. The separation from mom is accompanied by a temporary whimper or a continuous roar.
- Fear. Every child goes through this, and there is no way to avoid it. The only difference is in the types of fear and in how quickly the child copes with it. Most of all, the child is afraid of new people, surroundings, other children and the fact that his mother will not come for him. Fear is a trigger for the effects of stress.
The consequences of stress in the process of adaptation of a child in kindergarten
The child’s stress reactions spill over into conflicts, whims and aggressive behavior, up to fights between children. It should be understood that the baby is very vulnerable during this period, and outbursts of anger can appear without any, at first glance, reason. It is most reasonable to ignore them, not forgetting, of course, to sort out the problem situation. Also, the consequences of stress can be:
- Reverse development. A child who is familiar with all social skills (that is, the ability to eat independently, go to the potty, dress, etc.) suddenly forgets what he can do. He has to be spoon-fed, changed, etc.
- Braking and temporary degradation of speech development – the kid remembers only interjections and verbs.
- Interest in learning and learning due to nervous tension disappears. It is not possible to captivate the baby with something for a long time.
- Sociability. Before kindergarten, the baby had no problems communicating with peers. Now he simply does not have enough strength to communicate with annoying, screaming and ill-mannered peers. The child needs time to establish contacts and get used to a new circle of friends.
- Appetite, sleep. Habitual home daytime sleep is replaced by the categorical reluctance of the baby to go to bed. Appetite decreases or disappears altogether.
- On the basis of severe stress, especially with a severe degree of adaptation, barriers of resistance to various diseases collapse in the baby’s body. In such situation the child can get sick from a slight draft. Moreover, returning to the garden after an illness, the baby is again forced to undergo adaptation, as a result of which he falls ill again. That is why a child who started going to kindergarten spends three weeks at home every month. Many mothers are familiar with this situation, and the best thing about it is to wait with the kindergarten so as not to inflict psychological trauma on the child.
Unfortunately, not every mother can leave her child at home. As a rule, they send the baby to the garden for certain reasons, the main of which is the employment of the parents, the need to earn money. And the invaluable experience of communicating with peers, as well as life in society, important for the future student…
What is the best way to prepare your child for kindergarten?
- Search for the kid the nearest kindergarten to the house, so as not to torment the child on a long journey.
- In advance (gradually) accustom your child to the daily routinewhich is adhered to in kindergarten.
- It will not be superfluous and consultation with a pediatrician about the possible type of adaptation and taking timely measures in case of an unsatisfactory forecast.
- Temper the child, strengthen the immune system, dress appropriately for the weather. There is no need to wrap up the child unnecessarily.
- Sending the kid to the garden make sure he is completely healthy…
- You should also make sure that the child is familiar with all self-service skills…
- Drive the kid for a walk to kindergartenso that he gets to know educators and peers.
- It is better to bring the baby to the garden for the first week. as late as possible (by nine o’clock in the morning, just before breakfast) – the tears of peers when parting with their mothers will not benefit the child.
- Necessarily feed your baby before going out – in the garden, he may at first refuse to eat.
- The first time (if the work schedule and educators allow) is better to be in a group with the baby… Pick it up within the first week or two, preferably before lunch.
- From the second week gradually extend the time your baby is in the garden… Leave for lunch.
- From the third to fourth week you can start leaving the baby for a nap…
Quick adaptation of the child in kindergarten – recommendations for parents
- Do not discuss kindergarten problems with your child.
- Under no circumstances do not threaten the child with kindergarten… For example, for disobedience, etc. The child should perceive the garden as a place of rest, the joy of communication and learning, but not hard labor and prison.
- Walk more often in the playgrounds, visit child development centers, invite your baby’s peers.
- Watch the baby – whether he manages to find a common language with his peers, whether he is shy or, on the contrary, too impudent. Help with advice, look together for solutions to problems that arise.
- Tell your kid about kindergarten in a positive way… Point out the positives – a lot of friends, interesting activities, walks, etc.
- Raise your child’s self-esteem, say that he became an adult, and kindergarten is his job, almost like dad and mom. Just do not forget between times, gently and unobtrusively, to prepare the baby for difficulties. So that his anticipation of a continuous holiday does not break on the harsh reality.
- An ideal option if the baby falls into a group that his familiar peers already go to.
- Prepare the child for daily separation for a certain time. Leave for a while with your grandmother or relatives. When the kid plays with peers on the playground, move away, do not interfere with communication. But do not stop watching him, of course.
- Always keep promisesthat you give to the child. The kid must be sure that if his mother promised to pick him up, then nothing will stop her.
- Kindergarten teachers and doctor should be informed in advance about the characteristics of the character and health of the child…
- Give your child to kindergarten his favorite toyto make him feel more comfortable at first.
- Taking your baby home, you should not show him your concern. It is better to ask the teacher about how he ate, how much he cried, and whether he was sad without you. It would be more correct to ask what the child learned new and with whom he managed to make friends.
- On weekends try to stick to the regimeninstalled in kindergarten.
To attend or not to attend kindergarten is the choice of parents and their responsibility. The speed of adaptation of the baby in the garden and his a successful stay in society depends to a large extent on the efforts of mom and dad… Although the teachers of the educational institution play an important role. Listen to your child and try not to limit him too much with your care – this will allow the baby become independent faster and adapt well in a team… A child who has adapted well to the conditions of a kindergarten will go through the period of adaptation of a first grader to school much easier.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!