Everyone knows that the lifestyle of the expectant mother is radically different from her usual one – you have to give up a lot, but, on the contrary, add something to the diet. As for the proper nutrition of a pregnant woman, a lot has been said and written about this (more vitamins, less spicy, etc.), but not everyone knows about drinks.
So, what can expectant mothers drink and what is strictly prohibited?
The content of the article:
Can I drink coffee during pregnancy?
Coffeemania is inherent in many modern women. It’s hard to get started and concentrate without a cup of coffee, and there’s no need to talk about the pleasure of this drink. In modest doses, coffee, of course, does not pose a great danger. But, given the caffeine content in it, expectant mothers should be careful. Why?
- Caffeine has exciting action on the nervous system.
- Strengthens blood circulation.
- Significantly increases blood pressure (for moms with hypertension – it is dangerous).
- Has a diuretic effect.
- Causes heartburn.
- Coffee is also prohibited for those who have a diagnosis on their card – gestosis.
For the rest of the future mothers, a small cup of weak, only natural brewed coffee a day is enough. Better yet, a coffee drink (one that is caffeine-free). And, of course, not on an empty stomach. As for instant coffee and “three-in-one” bags – they should be excluded completely, categorically.
Can pregnant women drink tea?
Tea is not contraindicated for expectant mothers. But you need to know something about its use during pregnancy:
- Preference – herbal, fruit, green tea.
- In terms of harmfulness, black tea can be equated with coffee. It strongly tones and increases blood pressure. It is preferable to refuse it.
- Do not brew the tea too hard. Especially green. It promotes increased urination and increased heart rate.
- Do not use tea bags (discard it in favor of loose, quality tea).
- Ideal – tea made from herbs, dried fruits, leaves… Naturally, consult a doctor in advance – is it possible for you to have this or that herb. Chamomile tea, for example, can cause preterm labor. And hibiscus and tea with mint, on the contrary, will be useful: the first, thanks to vitamin C, will help in the fight against colds, and mint will soothe and relieve insomnia. Tea made from raspberry leaves and rose hips is also useful.
- Alternate teas (natural) – let different vitamins enter the body. And don’t drink more than three cups of tea a day. And it is generally better to exclude tea at night.
Talking about ginger tea – in small quantities, it is very useful for both mom and baby. But it doesn’t hurt to be careful with the miracle root. If there have been cases of miscarriages, then ginger should be excluded during pregnancy. And also exclude it in the last trimester, in order to avoid trouble.
Can pregnant women drink kvass?
One of the healthiest drinks is kvass. But as for its use by expectant mothers – here the experts were divided into two camps.
First you need to figure out what is kvass? First, this drink may contain alcohol (about 1.5 percent). Secondly, its effect on the body is similar to that of kefir – stimulation of metabolism, regulation of gastrointestinal processes, etc. Kvass is also essential amino acids and other valuable trace elements. And still drinking it during pregnancy is not recommended… Why?
- Kvass in bottles… The expectant mother should not drink such kvass. Bottled product is gases obtained not by fermentation, but by artificial means. That is, kvass from a bottle will cause increased gas formation, and this is fraught not only with abdominal discomfort, but also with miscarriage.
- Kvass from a barrel outside. The biggest problem is that equipment is rarely cleaned properly. That is, on pipes / taps, and in the barrel itself, bacteria successfully live and thrive. And the composition of the raw materials is unknown to anyone. Therefore, it is not worth the risk.
And what kind of kvass to drink then? Make kvass yourself. There are a huge number of recipes for its preparation today. But you will not doubt its quality. Again, the content of gases in it will be minimal, and the laxative effect will help with constipation, which torments many expectant mothers. But remember that the yeast content in kvass is an appetite stimulation with a drink. And as a result – extra calories and swelling of the legs, arms, face when consumed in large quantities. Therefore, try to drink it in moderation. They should not replace teas, compotes and juices.
Can pregnant women drink cocoa?
Cocoa is not recommended for expectant mothers. Causes:
- Caffeine and theobromine as part of a drink (that is, an exciting effect on the nervous system).
- A large number of oxalic acid…
- Allergic reaction. Cocoa is no less a strong allergen than citrus fruits.
- Interference with calcium absorption.
Can pregnant women drink carbonated and non-carbonated mineral water?
Mineral water is, first of all, a remedy, and only then – a drink to quench your thirst. It can be carbonated / non-carbonated, and its composition is gases, mineral salts, biologically active substances.
- Mineral table water… For the expectant mother – no more than a glass a day (not systematically). Such water, with edema in a pregnant woman or salt in the urine, will become a serious burden on the kidneys.
- Sparkling mineral water. Not recommended.
Pure, plain water, without impurities, without gases, is the main drink for the expectant mother. Water should be two thirds of all that liquidwhat mom uses in a day.
Juices during pregnancy – which are useful and which should be discarded?
Are juices good for the expectant mother? Definitely yes! But – only freshly squeezed. And no more than 0.2-0.3 liters per day. The more juice, the more actively the kidneys work. But it is better to bypass factory juices – because of preservatives and a large amount of sugar. So, which juices are allowed and which are not allowed for expectant mothers?
With an exacerbation of gastritis or pancreatitis, refuse. With increased acidity – dilute with water 1: 1. In other cases, it is a continuous benefit.
From the 2nd half of pregnancy – refuse. A pear can cause constipation, and bowel movements are already difficult due to an enlarged uterus.
With increased pressure and swelling, do not abuse this juice (it contains salt). Otherwise, its properties are beneficial (improved blood circulation, relief from toxicosis, etc.).
Allergic juice – drink with care. A significant disadvantage is the excretion of calcium, which the child needs for normal development.
Increases acidity in the stomach, has a laxative effect. If you have gastritis / heartburn, do not drink. Positive properties: folic acid content, increased sugar levels and appetite.
This drink can neutralize the effects of certain medications. The benefits of juice – for nervous exhaustion and varicose veins, to improve sleep and digestion, as well as reduce blood pressure.
In large quantities, it is contraindicated due to the content of beta-carotene (no more than 0.1 ml twice a week).
The expectant mother can only drink it diluted, a couple of times a week and only 2-3 hours after the juice is prepared. Substances that fresh juice contains can cause headaches and nausea.
Useful only in the absence of pollen allergy – especially in severe toxicosis. Given the glucose content in the juice, it should not be abused.
Can pregnant women drink wine?
Experts strongly recommend to expectant mothers refuse categorically from all types of alcohol – especially in the first two trimesters. There are no “light” drinks. There can be no benefit from wine, given that a baby is developing inside you. As for harm, it is better to simply not risk so that those 1-2 glasses of wine do not cause trouble, up to and including premature birth.
Can I drink cola, phantom, sprite for pregnant women?
According to statistics, pregnant women who are addicted to soda before childbirth, give birth prematurely… If you consume more than 2-4 glasses of soda per day, this risk doubles. Moreover, this applies to any kind of carbonated lemonade. What is the danger of such drinks?
- The risk of developing hypertension, obesity, gestational diabetes mellitus.
- The presence of phosphoric acidnegatively affecting bone density. Simply put, it interferes with the normal development of the osteochondral system in the fetus.
- Caffeine in Coca-Cola, it is harmful to the development of the fetal brain and contributes to the risk of miscarriage.
- Also, a carbonated drink is the cause of fermentation in the intestineswhich, in turn, can lead to contraction of the uterus.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!