Best Baby Bedding for Newborns – Tips for New Mothers
The baby’s sleep should be calm, sweet and safe. And for this you need not only to choose the right bed, but also to approach carefully the choice of bedding. After all, it is with the fabric of bed linen that children’s skin comes into contact most often. How to choose the right bedding for a newborn?
The content of the article:
General Tips for Choosing Baby Bedding for Newborn Babies
The three “components” of good baby linen are quality, aesthetics and safety… When choosing underwear for a newborn, it is about them that you should remember.
First of all, this criterion implies the composition of the fabric. The ideal option for a newborn is, of course, cotton. That is, excellent air exchange, absorbency, elimination of hypothermia or overheating, antiallergenicity. You can also pay attention to calico and chintz.
According to GOST, domestic manufacturers must produce baby bedding only using 100% cotton. Therefore, when buying a kit, look at the label – foreign manufacturers do not have such restrictions. And, of course, it will not be superfluous to ask for a quality certificate.
- Lack of unnecessary details.
There should not be any buttons and zippers with small elements on children’s underwear that may be in the baby’s mouth. As for the seams, they must be processed in the most careful way (only internal and inconspicuous). The ideal option is underwear without seams.
- Kit size.
This criterion depends on the size of the mattress. Classic sizes – 60/120. But if the crib was made to order, or its purchase is only planned, then the standard size may not fit.
The set of items of linen depends on the needs and capabilities. It can be a regular set of 4 elements or of 8 (including a side, additional pillow, etc.). As a rule, a complete set is quite enough for a newborn baby, to which you can add removable sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers.
It is better to choose a sheet for the mattress with an elastic band – this way there will be fewer unnecessary folds on it. For the same purpose, it makes sense to take pillowcases with an elastic band.
- Choice of colors.
For a newborn, bed linen does not have to be white – other shades are allowed, but calm. Too bright colors excite the nervous system, and they will not benefit the child. In addition, they may contain harmful colorants. Linen with mul-heroes can be chosen when the baby grows up a little and will be able to distinguish and study them.
A set of good linen cannot cost less than 300-400 rubles in fact. But the price is sometimes not an indicator. Therefore, be sure to check the quality, labeling and certification.
Buying bedding for newborns – what to remember?
- Do not take underwear to grow. First, it will be harder for you to wash. Secondly, the child will have to sleep in the folds of the linen.
- When you buy your laundry, don’t forget to wash it.… If the linen has faded, feel free to put it in the closet, it will not work for a newborn.
- Do not overuse lace, satin inserts, ruffles etc. A newborn does not need this.
What can be included in a bedding set for newborns – we consider all options
The standard kit for a newborn is a sheet, duvet cover and a pair of pillowcases… But there are also kits with additional functional elements. So what can be included in a newborn bedding set?
- Duvet cover. Size – 112×146 cm. Only made of cotton.
- Sheet… The main sheet should be elastic. It is advisable to stock up on 2-3 at once. Size – 127x62x20 cm.
- A blanket… Size – 110×140 cm. It should have exclusively natural filler and cotton base fabric. The choice of blanket depends on the time of year and the average temperature in your home. For the summer, a fleece blanket and one thin one will be enough, for the winter – two thin and one warm (preferably down or camel wool). The blanket should be lightweight and not prickly.
- Protective side. It is usually filled with padding polyester, and the fabric is made of 100% cotton. The standard dimensions of the side are 360/36 (50) cm. Purpose – to protect the crumbs from impacts against the walls of the crib and from possible drafts. It is better to remove the sides for the summer – they worsen air exchange. The side covers can be removable.
- Canopy… Purpose – protection against mosquitoes and midges, decorative purposes. If you decide to purchase it, prepare in advance to wash it regularly. Because in 2-3 days it accumulates dust on its surface.
- Side pockets. They can be used for rattles and other useful items.
- Mattress topper. As a rule, it is already present on the mattress when purchased. But one more, to replace, will not hurt.
- Pillow… A newborn does not need and even contraindicates a pillow. It interferes with the correct development of the spine. Therefore, a pillow should be chosen specifically for newborns (very thin), or simply fold the flannel diaper several times.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!