Modern clothes for newborns are very diverse – from birth, babies can wear suits, bodysuits, shorts with T-shirts and diaper dresses. But it has long been noticed that a baby, swaddled for the time of sleep, sleeps much more calmly and soundly, and therefore many mothers are in no hurry to part with such an important accessory of a newborn baby’s wardrobe as diapers.
The content of the article:
Diapers have undergone changes, and the modern market for clothes and accessories for newborns is ready to offer many types of diapers – here and the “classics of the genre” – eternal flannel and chintz diapers, and innovations in the form of disposable diapers, Velcro diapers, waterproof diapers, knitted diapers etc. Which of them will be best for the baby? Let’s figure it out.
How to choose the right diaper for a newborn
The best diaper for a small child always made from natural material… She must:
- Good moisture absorption and not create a “greenhouse effect” on the baby’s skin.
- Be soft and tenderso as not to rub or squeeze the child’s body.
- Gotta keep the temperature baby’s body, without overheating and hypothermia.
- Be of high quality and durableto withstand repeated washing and ironing, not to lose its properties.
- Should be well finished around the edges, and on the canvas, the diaper should not have any seams, decorations, ruffles, so as not to rub the baby’s skin.
See also: Types of swaddling of newborns – tight and loose swaddling of newborns.
All types of diapers can be classified as comfortable and convenient diapers for a newborn baby. flannel, chintz, satin nappies, as well as nappies made of 100% cotton jersey, natural cellulose… Some unscrupulous manufacturers sew diapers from mixed fabrics that contain synthetics and are unacceptable in the wardrobe of a small child, whose skin is very vulnerable in the first months of life.
Types of diapers for a newborn and their purpose
A wide variety of types of diapers for babies, which is presented on the modern market, is justified – after all each type of diaper has its own purpose, and can be used in caring for a baby at one point or another in his life. Before buying diapers for a baby, parents should familiarize themselves with all types of these items of children’s wardrobe in order to determine the choice and purchase exactly what their child will need. There are more than types of diapers, there are colors, colors, various sets with diapers, designed in the same style, so young parents will have to work hard on the choice. So, the types of diapers:
Fur diapers for a newborn
This – winter diaperswhich are akin to outerwear, a blanket or a warm envelope for a newborn baby. Fur nappies can later be used as a blanket for a baby, a baby blanket or a play mat. Many models of fur nappies can transform into an envelope, which is much more convenient for walking in the first months of a baby’s life. Fur diapers must be fulfilled only from natural wool and are provided with a corresponding hypoallergenic document. If an envelope or overalls for winter walks is bought for a child, then it makes no sense to buy a fur diaper.
Calico diapers for a newborn baby
This – thin reusable diapersmade of chintz – a natural soft material, 100% cotton fiber. When changing, chintz diapers are put on flannel, creating two layers of clothes for the baby, which meets hygienic standards. On very hot days or in a well-heated room, chintz diapers can be used to swaddle crumbs without a flannel backing. In the store you can choose any color of chintz diapers, as well as any size. These diapers can be used, like bed sheets in a criblike a soft towel after washing or bathing a child.
Flannel diapers for a small child
Flannel nappies are very pleasant to the touch, they are made of 100% cotton fiber, in a special way “puffed up”. Flannel nappies absorb moisture well and do not create a “greenhouse effect” on the skin and unpleasant cold for the baby, even when wet. Flannel nappies keep baby’s body warm and do not allow him to overheat and hypothermia. This type of diaper can be used like sheets in a baby’s crib, like a towel after washing and bathing the crumbs, like a coverlet for sleeping in a very warm room or in summer.
Knitted diapers for a newborn
Knitted diapers appeared much later than their chintz and flannel counterparts. Currently, this type of diaper is very popular, as it gives practicality and comfort when used in caring for a newborn baby. Using the knitted diaper is placed on the flannelso that the skin of the crumbs touches a very soft, comfortable, pleasant surface. On a hot day, it is enough to wrap a child only in a knitted diaper. When buying, it is necessary to carefully consider the labels on the diapers, or rather, the composition of the fabric – the diaper should be completely cotton. Knitted diapers comfortable for their plasticity – they stretch and take the shape of the baby’s body, the child can freely move his legs and arms in such a diaper, she does not tighten the body…
Disposable diapers for baby
Disposable diapers are currently very popular – they will come in handy for parents to to cover the changing table, to put in a flannel or knitted diaper when swaddling an infant, visiting a pediatrician or massage sessions at a clinic, traveling with a baby, covering the surface of a bed or sofa for carrying out hygiene procedures for a child. Despite their practicality and versatility, disposable diapers cannot completely replace flannel, knitted and chintz diapers. First, it is not very economical… Secondly, according to hygiene standards, cloth diapers are still in the first place. When buying disposable diapers, you must carefully study the composition: it should include only cotton fiber or natural cellulose, not synthetics. The filler of disposable diapers contains a special powder that, when wet, turns into a gel (like filler of disposable diapers), and wicks moisture away from the baby’s skin. Disposable diapers will be good if the baby is born by the summer, and all hot days will sleep without diapers – disposable diaper will not let the baby’s skin get wet, and will give a feeling of dryness and comfort for a restful sleep.
Velcro diapers for newborns
These are modern diapers that allow you to swaddle a newborn very quickly and without problems, without creating unnecessary folds and without tightening his body. Velcro diapers can also be disposable – these are sold in special departments, along with other items for the care of a newborn baby, and fabric, made of knitwear, fleece, flannel.
Reusable Waterproof Newborn Diapers
Reusable diapers will help parents by protecting them from accidental “leaks” when visiting a pediatrician, on walks, on the road. On the one hand, such diapers have pleasant velvety or terry cloth surfacemade of 100% natural threads, on the other hand – a thin oilcloth. Very often, reusable diapers – “waterproof” have antibacterial and anti-allergenic impregnation, which creates additional barriers to bacteria and harmful microbes. Reusable diapers, unlike disposable ones, are much more economical – after use, they are perfectly washed.
How many diapers should I buy for a newborn?
Parents of most newborn babies use disposable diapers from birth, and there is no need to buy dozens of diapers now. Here is the absolute minimum of various types of diapers that a baby may need from birth:
- Flannel nappies – 5 items.
- Calico diapers – 5 items.
- Knitted diapers – 5 items. If the parents do not plan to swaddle the baby, then knitted diapers can be skipped.
- Velcro diapers – 2-3 pieces (fleece and bike). If the baby will not be swaddled, they can be skipped.
- Disposable diapers 10 pieces are enough for the baby’s discharge from the maternity hospital. In the future, the mother will determine how much such diapers are needed, and will buy them if necessary.
Diaper sizes for babies
Experienced mothers advise buying or sewing diapers for babies of rather large sizes, for the comfort and convenience of swaddling (from small diapers, the baby will soon begin to unfold):
- Calico diapers – rectangular, with sides not less 0.9m x 1.2m… Calico diapers, which are useful only from the birth of a baby, are sized 0.85m x 0.9m; 0.95m x 1m…
- Flannel nappies – 0.75m x 1.1m or 0.9m x 1.2m… Very comfortable square flannel nappies with a side 1.1m or 1.2m – they can be used both for swaddling and as a sheet for a baby’s bed.
Tips for choosing diapers for newborns
- All diapers must have well finished edges… It is preferable to process the edge with an overlock, and not a hem, so that there are no hard seams. In addition, threads that fall out of the inaccurate edge of the diaper can enter the child’s respiratory tract.
- Must see diaper fabric composition – it must be 100% natural (cotton, linen, additives of silk, wool, cellulose).
- Diapers should be soft to the touch, knitted diapers – plastic.
- Diaper colors should not be flashy, otherwise it will soon become annoying for both the parents and the child himself. Doctors also warn that bright colors are harmful to the eyes of a newborn baby. In addition, diapers in bright colors can shed heavily and lose their attractive appearance, and the dyes of such diapers can be harmful to the baby’s skin and cause allergies.
- Diaper needed buy only in specialized stores for newborns, trusting companies with an undeniable reputation.
- It is not worth buying baby diapers from the market.
- Diaper size better to choose the larger of the proposed samples – large diapers are more convenient to use. There are only a few small diapers you can buy – they are cheaper than large ones, and can be used in the first weeks of a baby’s life.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!