Intermittent fasting – a temporary refusal to eat – was mentioned by Hippocrates. The Nobel Prize laureate Yoshinori Osumi took up the study of this food system in more detail. The scientist found out that a starving cell quickly deals with damaged and dead protein cells in order to extract energy from them – and, thanks to this process, body tissues begin to rapidly renew themselves (so-called autophagy).
The content of the article:
- How it works?
- Benefits and cons
- Who is this diet not suitable for?
- Types of fasting
- Diet preparation and rules
Also, during fasting, the body begins to rapidly take energy from fat cells, which leads to weight loss. Reviews of intermittent fasting for weight loss and the results of such a diet confirm its effectiveness.
What is intermittent fasting, how does fasting work for weight loss?
The fasting scheme for weight loss is simple, and does not depend on the type of fasting, of which several have been invented:
- The day is divided into two windows.
- In the first window, you need to distribute all meals.
- In the second – give up food altogether, but drink water, herbal infusions, unsweetened tea.
The easiest and most popular option is to eat for 8 hours in the afternoon (window # 1), skip late dinner, go to bed, and not eat breakfast too early (16-hour window # 2). The process of losing weight with such a scheme will not cause any discomfort: during the day you will not have to limit yourself to your favorite products, and “lean” hours will fall on sleep.
Video: What is intermittent fasting and how it helps you lose weight
As long as a person adheres to the principles of intermittent fasting, the following happens in his body:
- A malnourished body “pounces” on adipose tissue – and breaks it down for energy. As a result, the fat layer gradually melts, and – most importantly! – muscle mass is preserved, since you do not have to give up protein foods.
- During “sleeping on an empty stomach,” the production of growth hormone increases dramatically. In combination with the phenomenon of autophagy, this forces the cells to renew, the body not only loses weight, but also becomes younger and heals in the general sense.
- The amount of sugar in the blood and the level of insulin are reduced to normal values. Therefore, intermittent fasting for women with type II diabetes and do not want to deny themselves all the delicious pleasures is 100% suitable. Also, fasting helps to reduce “bad” cholesterol.
- Digestion is getting better, difficult due to lazy bowel syndrome or problem microflora in it, inflammation of the mucous membrane decreases. On an empty stomach, you can and should take probiotics that enhance the effect of fasting.
The advantages and disadvantages of fasting compared to other food systems
- Losing weight – guaranteed, since the daily calorie intake will decrease. The weight will go away relatively slowly (from 5 to 8% for a period from a month to six months), but it is the refractory visceral (internal) fat that spoils the forms, and not the muscle tissue, that will dissolve.
- Aging slows down. Due to the stimulation of cellular renewal, new cells will regularly appear in the tissues (= rejuvenation), and this will happen in a natural way, without latent and long-term consequences.
- The heart starts to work better. “Bad” cholesterol will drop, and blood vessels will be freed from atherosclerotic plaques – the main cause of heart attacks and strokes. The pressure will cease to scare in jumps, the function of the heart muscle will gradually recover.
- The work of the brain is normalized. Since this organ is also composed of cells, their renewal will lead to improved memory, decreased symptoms of depression, and increased learning ability.
There are also disadvantages to a fashionable diet:
- During the “hungry window” may feel nauseous, may be very thirsty.
- In the “well-fed window” there is an involuntary desire to eat everything that is within sight.
The way out is to plan a refusal to eat while sleeping, and return to regular meals if unpleasant symptoms begin to haunt: alas, fasting is not suitable for all women…
Video: Myths and truths about intermittent fasting – 5 expert answers
Who shouldn’t try intermittent fasting for weight loss?
Fasting – however, like all other relatively strict and strict food restriction systems – it is better not to practice with such diagnoses and conditions:
- Lack of weight by 20% or more.
- Diabetes mellitus type I.
- Toxic goiter.
- Severe heart disease – blockages of nodes, failure, post-infarction condition.
- Chronic hypotension (during fasting, it is fraught with fainting).
- Gallstones, peptic ulcer.
- High level of platelets in the blood.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding of the baby.
If the listed diseases and conditions are not observed, but doubts still prevail, then before trying a new calorie restriction scheme, it is worth consulting with your therapist…
Types of Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss
Several fasting options were invented and tested.
The main approaches to dividing the day into windows are as follows:
- 16/8… The person does not eat for 16 hours, but eats whatever he wants in the remaining 8 hours. The optimal division is 4 meals from 10 am to 6 pm and the consumption of unsweetened soft drinks at any other time of the day if desired.
- 14/10… A woman who wants to lose weight eats for 10 hours, does not eat anything for the next 14 hours. Anyone can withstand such a diet, because it is allowed to treat yourself to your favorite food in any quantity from 10 am to 8 pm.
- Day without food… If a person eats breakfast at 10 am, their next meal will again be breakfast, and again will be at 10 am. Between breakfasts, he will abstain from food. Doctors do not recommend completely giving up food for a whole day more often than once a week.
- 2/5… For 5 days, a person who wants to lose weight eats everything, 2 days – suffers (does not gorge on more than 500 kcal).
While there is no one solution for everyone – you need to try different approaches to intermittent fasting, and not hope for instant results: the body will lose weight slowly and gently.
But subsequently, the weight will not be gaining 10 times faster from each allowed cake, as often happens after strict diets like “1 apple and 1 glass of kefir with 0% fat per day.”
Video: Losing weight in a new way: diet 8/16
Basic fasting rules for women – how to prepare and start a diet?
Before you start intermittent fasting, you need consult a therapistto exclude contraindications.
It is advisable to stop eating fatty, deep-fried foods and crystalline sugar a week before switching to the chosen meal schedule. It is also useful to establish a drinking regime – 2 liters of filtered water without gas daily.
- Drink as much unsweetened, non-carbonated liquid as you like.
- Eat in small portions once an hour, in large portions every 2.5-3 hours.
- Walking every day without jogging: fresh air stimulates metabolic processes in the body.
- For those involved in sports, it is better to fast at night, before an early morning workout, eat a couple of tablespoons of porridge and eat solidly immediately after the end.
- Do not overdo it with dietary restrictions. Too fast burning of adipose tissue in the female body leads to hormonal disruptions: the production of estrogen is disrupted, the menstrual cycle can get lost.
- If no food has entered the stomach for a whole day, the first intake should be fresh fruits and vegetables, natural juices…
- Discomfort may occur during fasting. In some women, these are stool disorders, in others – dizziness and headaches, in others – attacks of gastritis or nausea. First aid for such symptoms – sweetened black tea: having switched to an unusual mode, the body can rebel due to a lack of glucose, an increase in cortisol levels, the aggressive effect of gastric juice on the mucous membrane of the empty gastrointestinal tract. The intake of warm, sweet liquid can solve a number of minor problems.
- If the discomfort does not go away in any way, it interferes with concentration and spoil the mood, you will have to get out of the diet carefully – eat a few fruits, wait 1-2 hours and cook soft warm food – porridge, not spicy or sour soup, mashed potatoes, etc. The next attempt at fasting should not be undertaken earlier than a week after the cessation of unpleasant symptoms.
Fasting for women is a gentle fasting option that makes it possible to lose weight without strict dietary restrictions and does not distract from the usual rhythm of life.
If there are no contraindications, but there is willpower and a desire to gain harmony without radical measures, you can safely practice this method and wait for the effect.
The Bologny.ru website reminds: by performing a diet on your own, you take full responsibility for non-compliance with the rules. All information provided is for informational purposes only, and is not a medical recommendation. Before using the diet, be sure to consult your doctor!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!