Dry skin on the elbows: reasons for what to do
The skin on your elbows can tell a lot about your health. Let’s try to figure out which signs indicate a serious illness, and which ones – the need to use a moisturizer or nourishing cream!
Features of the skin on the elbows
The skin on the elbows is normally very dry. This is due to the fact that there are no sweat and sebaceous glands on the elbows. In addition, the skin is constantly exposed to stress, as you often bend and unbend your arms, lean on your elbows, etc.
Dry skin on the elbows is not dangerous. However, if cracks appear on it, antiseptics and moisturizers should be used in order to avoid infection of the wound.
Why does the skin on the elbows get dry?
Elbow skin can dry out for the following reasons:
- use of aggressive detergents… Alkaline soap destroys the skin’s natural protective barrier. There are no sebaceous glands on the elbows, so the skin on them is prone to dryness;
- the habit of sitting propped up on your elbows… In this case, the skin receives an additional “load”, which affects its condition;
- rough clothing that irritates the skin… Synthetic clothing or items made of rough textured fabric can worsen the condition of the skin;
- thyroid disease… Thyroid disease can cause dry skin. Thyroid problems are also indicated by tachycardia, insomnia, increased blood pressure, and irritability;
- gastritis… Dry skin may indicate onset gastritis. If the skin on the elbows becomes dry, and you notice nausea after eating or pain in the epigastric region, see your doctor;
- avitaminosis… If your diet lacks vitamins, your skin may become drier. Naturally, in the first place, the skin on the elbows and knees reacts to this;
- strict diet… Restriction of protein foods and vitamins impairs the quality of the skin: it begins to flake off, and on the elbows and knees it can crack and bleed.
What to do?
Most often, in order for the skin on the elbows to become smooth, it is enough to use mild detergents and regularly use a greasy cream. However, if your skin becomes dry for no apparent reason, and you notice other health problems (abdominal pain, insomnia, hair loss, etc.), you should see a doctor!
The skin on your elbows can be an indicator of your health. Be attentive to your body: sometimes minor changes indicate onset diseases!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!