What does this term mean
The 28th obstetric week corresponds to the 26th week of fetal development and ends the second trimester of pregnancy. Even if your baby is asked to go outside at 28 weeks, the doctors will be able to help him, and he will live.
The content of the article:
Feelings of the expectant mother
In general, the woman’s well-being at 28 weeks is satisfactory, however, there are some unpleasant sensations characteristic of the later period:
- Possible disturbances in the work of the gastrointestinal tract: heartburn, cramps, indigestion;
- Periodic, mild and most often painless contractions (contractions of the uterus) appear;
- From the mammary glands begins to stand out colostrum;
- Itching occurs due to stretch marks on the skin;
- The skin becomes dry;
- Pulling back pain (to eliminate them, you must avoid staying on your feet for a long time);
- Swelling of the legs;
- Shortness of breath;
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain and burning in the anus when using the toilet;
- Clearly drawn veins in the mammary glands;
- Appear body fat (the most common area of their habitat: belly and thighs);
- A sharp increase in weight (by 28 weeks it reaches 8-9 kg);
- Stretch marks are becoming more visible.
Reviews from Instagram and VKontakte:
Before drawing any conclusions regarding the presence of certain symptoms, we must find out everything about how real women feel in the 28th week:
I’m already 28 weeks old. I feel pretty good. Only one unpleasant moment still does not recede – my back hurts very badly, especially when I look a little like me. I have already gained 9 kg, but it seems to be normal.
I have already gained 9 kg. The doctor swears that this is too much, but I don’t eat much, everything is as usual. In the evenings, heartburn torments and pulls the stomach. My left leg is numb, as I sleep on my side. I can’t wait to lie down on my tummy!
Also at 28 weeks, but I’m still working, I’m very tired, I can’t sit normally, my back hurts, I get up – it also hurts, and I constantly want to eat, even in the middle of the night I get up and go to eat. I have already gained 13.5 kg, the doctor swears, but I can’t do anything. Can’t I go hungry ?!
I have 28 weeks. The weight began to rise sharply starting at Ձ 20 weeks. At the moment, the weight gain is already 6 kg. Too much, but I do not understand why so much, if I eat just a little, and there is no particular appetite. Doctors say there will be a big baby.
I only gained 6.5 kg. I thought it was even a little, but the doctor scolds me that a lot. Advised to do fasting days. I have only constant edema from unpleasant sensations, maybe a fasting day will be able to eliminate this problem at least for a while.
So we got to the 28th week! I added 12.5 kg, there is no edema, but heartburn often bothers me, sometimes the limbs go numb. Our puzzler has become a little calmer, kicks less and does somersaults. The belly is very large and has already managed to become covered with fluff, the nipples have darkened, the colostrum has become some kind of yellow!
What happens in the mother’s body at 28 weeks?
More than half of the way has been covered, there are only 12 weeks left, but certain changes are still taking place in your body:
- The uterus increases in size;
- The uterus occupies a position at a distance of 8 cm from the navel and 28 cm from the pubic symphysis;
- The mammary glands begin to produce colostrum;
- The uterus rises so high that it supports the diaphragm, which makes it difficult for a woman to breathe;
Fetal development, height and weight
- The child is recovering sharply and his weight reaches 1-1.3 kg;
- The growth of the baby becomes 35-37 cm;
- The baby’s eyelashes lengthen and become more voluminous;
- The skin becomes smoother and softer (the reason is an increase in the volume of subcutaneous tissue);
- The nails on the hands and feet continue to grow;
- The hairs on the baby’s head become longer;
- The baby’s hair acquires an individual color (pigment is actively produced);
- Protective grease is applied to the face and body.
Formation and functioning of organs and systems:
- The alveoli in the lungs continue to develop;
- Is increasing brain mass;
- Typical convolutions and grooves on the surface of the cerebral cortex;
- Ability appears to distinguish thin varieties taste;
- The ability is developed react to sounds (the baby may respond to the voice of the mother and father with slight movements);
- Such reflexes are formed as sucking (the baby in the mother’s tummy sucks the thumb) and grasping;
- Formed muscle;
- The child’s movements become more active;
- A certain biological clock is set (period of activity and period of sleep);
- The baby’s bones are finishing their formation (however, they are still flexible and will harden until the first weeks after birth);
- The kid has already learned to open and close his eyes, as well as blink (the reason is the disappearance of the pupillary membrane);
- The beginnings of understanding of the native language (the language spoken by the parents) are being formed.
With an ultrasound scan at 28 weeks, the size of the baby from the tailbone to the crown is 20-25 cm, by which time the legs are significantly lengthened and are 10 cm, that is, the total growth of the baby reaches 30-35 cm.
Ultrasound at 28 weeks is usually prescribed for determining the position of the fetus: head, transverse or pelvic. Usually babies are in the head position at 28 weeks (unless your toddler is not properly accommodated for another 12 weeks). In the pelvic or transverse position, a woman is most often offered a cesarean section.
On an ultrasound scan at 28 weeks, you can observe how baby is moving in the tummy, and how opens and closes eyes… You can also determine who the baby will be: left-handed or right-handed (depending on which thumb of which hand he sucks). Also, the doctor must make all the basic measurements to assess the correct development of the baby.
For clarity, we provide you the norm of the size of the fetus:
- BPD (biparietal size or distance between the temporal bones) – 6-79mm.
- LZ (frontal-occipital size) – 83-99mm.
- OG (fetal head circumference) – 245-285 mm.
- Coolant (fetal abdominal circumference) – 21-285 mm.
Normal indicators for fetal bones:
- Femur 49-57mm,
- Humerus 45-53mm,
- Forearm bones 39-47mm,
- Shin bones 45-53mm.
Photo of the fetus, photo of the abdomen, ultrasound and video about the development of the child
Video: What happens at the 28th week of pregnancy?
Video: 3D ultrasound
Recommendations and advice for the expectant mother
Since the third, last and rather crucial trimester is ahead, it is necessary:
- Go to 5-6 meals a day, set a meal time for yourself and eat in small portions;
- Observe sufficient calories (for 28 weeks 3000-3100 kcal);
- Foods containing a large amount of protein should be taken in the morning, since it takes a long time to digest, and dairy products are preferable for dinner;
- Limit salty foods, as they can negatively affect kidney function and retain fluid in the body;
- To avoid heartburn, exclude spicy and fatty foods, black coffee and black bread from the diet;
- If heartburn does not give you peace of mind, try a snack with sour cream, cream, cottage cheese, lean boiled meat or a steam omelet;
- Continue to lean on calcium, which will strengthen your baby’s bones;
- Do not wear tight clothing that obstructs breathing and blood circulation in your legs;
- Be in the fresh air more often;
- If you are working, then write a vacation application, having thought in advance whether you will return to your previous place after caring for a child;
- Beginning this week, visit the antenatal clinic twice a month;
- Get a number of tests, such as a blood iron test and a glucose tolerance test;
- If you are Rh negative, you need to take an antibody test;
- It’s time to think about labor pain relief. Check out such nuances as episiotomy, promedol and epidural anesthesia;
- Monitor fetal movements twice a day: in the morning, when the fetus is not very active, and in the evening, when the baby is too active. Count all movements for 10 minutes: all pushing, rolling, and wiggling. Normally, you should count about 10 movements;
- If you follow all our recommendations and doctor’s recommendations, you can easily withstand another 12 weeks before your baby is born!
Previous: Week 27
Next: Week 29
Choose any other in the pregnancy calendar.
Calculate the exact due date in our service.
How did you feel in the 28th obstetric week? Share with us!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!