Heartburn during pregnancy – 15 folk remedies for heartburn and belching for pregnant women
For every expectant mother, the waiting period for the baby becomes a real test of strength. Toxicosis, edema, headaches – what moms do not face during pregnancy. Many ailments, which were previously only heard from other women, become an unpleasant surprise at all. For example, heartburn is a very unpleasant “companion” of pregnancy.
How to cope with it, and is heartburn dangerous during this period?
The content of the article:
- Causes of heartburn during pregnancy
- How to prevent heartburn and belching?
- 15 remedies for heartburn and belching in pregnant women
- Diagnostics and medications for heartburn, prescribed by a doctor
The main causes of heartburn in pregnant women – why does belching and heartburn appear in early and late pregnancy?
Three out of four mothers experience heartburn during pregnancy. Moreover, regardless of whether such “meetings” happened before.
Heartburn “covers” a burning sensation in the throat and a sensation of acid in the mouth…
Most often it appears after eating, or in a horizontal position, and can last from a couple of minutes and up to 3-4 hours…
Some mothers suffer from heartburn so much that even deprives sleep…
What are the causes of heartburn?
- Hormonal changes. The increased level of progesterone during pregnancy promotes relaxation of smooth muscles, acting not only on the uterus (approx. – to reduce its excitability), but also on the sphincter that separates the esophagus from the stomach.
- Increased gastric acidity (also occurs due to hormonal changes).
- At a later date. During the third trimester, the uterus is already very large, and the intestines constrained by it begin to support the diaphragm – which, in turn, creates conditions for heartburn. In addition, the toddler itself, which by the end of pregnancy is already very large, is capable of causing similar sensations.
How to prevent heartburn and belching in pregnant women – adjusting diet and lifestyle
If such a nuisance as heartburn happens to you only sporadically, and in general does not bother you, then there is no need to specifically deal with it.
But with a noticeable discomfort, increased attention should be paid to this problem so that this trouble does not lead to inflammation of the esophageal mucosa afterwards.
It should be noted that no reason to panic – heartburn, by itself, will not affect the course of your pregnancy and the health of your baby.
But you can alleviate the symptoms using simple methods:
- Do not drink antispasmodics! They will cause even more serious relaxation of smooth muscles. Use only the drugs your doctor has prescribed for you.
- We eat in small portions.
- Putting tight things in the closet that can squeeze the stomach. Choosing loose clothing.
- Don’t bend over – gently squat down.
- We don’t go to bed after eating – you need to avoid horizontal position for at least 30-60 minutes.
- We eat right! We give the supper, which can cause an increase in the production of stomach acid, to the enemy.
- We exclude sour foods, any soda, strong coffee, as well as spices and herbs / marinades from the menu… In addition, we limit the use of such products from vegetables, berries, fruits and fermented milk (tomatoes, kefir, etc.). Can also cause heartburn eggs, yeast dough products, fatty meats.
- We do not gorge ourselves at night. Eat a couple of hours before bed, and do not forget about half an hour of activity after meals.
- We take a higher pillow for the period of pregnancy and sleep on our back.
15 harmless home remedies for heartburn and belching in pregnant women
The first thought that comes to mind with heartburn is, of course, soda… A kind of “grandmother’s recipe”, which for some reason is still stubbornly distributed to everyone. Yes, soda can relieve an “attack” of heartburn for a certain short period, but This method has more disadvantages than advantages:
- First, it promotes the production of carbon dioxide, which causes a strong secretion of gastric juice.
- Secondly, there is no reason to expect a stable effect.
- Thirdly, baking soda can cause increased puffiness.
Therefore, we put the soda in the far box and use only mild methods of calming heartburn.
- Cold milk. A glass of the drink effectively neutralizes acidity and even benefits both organisms. We drink in small sips!
- Freshly squeezed potato juice. In this case, a couple of tablespoons / spoons are enough. Starch also acts as an acid neutralizer.
- Chamomile broth or chamomile tea. Drinking 2 glasses a day will have an excellent healing effect.
- Kissel or oatmeal decoction. With the help of such a thick mixture, reliably enveloping the walls of the stomach, you can also get rid of these unpleasant sensations. Enough 1 tbsp / l of jelly or broth 15-20 minutes before meals.
- Oat flakes. They can simply be chewed throughout the day to reduce discomfort.
- Mineral water. We release gases in advance and drink during the day in small sips. Enough 100 ml per day.
- Carrot juice. They can also “wash down” heartburn, but you should not get carried away with vegetable juices (the concentration of vitamins in them is quite high).
- Buckwheat porridge. It is recommended to eat it in the morning so that heartburn does not bother you during the day.
- Unsalted rice broth. It acts on the principle of jelly.
- Walnuts. We eat several pieces a day.
- Pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. We gnaw them as discomfort arises.
- Mint tea. In addition to helping the stomach, it also has a calming effect.
- Fresh parsley. Just chew on a couple of sprigs of these greens, and the discomfort will leave you.
- Activated carbon. Just a few tablets remove excess acid from the stomach.
- Fresh apple. With constant and serious heartburn, it will not save, but in rare and mild cases, it is even very capable of eliminating heartburn.
What can and cannot be drunk by pregnant women – is it harmful to drink kvass during pregnancy?
Also, expectant mothers note the effectiveness of the following funds:
- Eggshell powder.
- A teaspoon of honey before meals.
- Rowan bark (chew).
- Dried angelica tea.
- Infusion of dill seeds.
As for herbal preparations and decoctions from them – it is recommended to consult a doctor (many herbs are contraindicated in pregnancy).
What diagnostic methods and remedies for heartburn during pregnancy can a doctor prescribe?
Usually, expectant mothers come to a gastroenterologist only in case of severe and constant heartburn.
Naturally, first of all, you need to determine its cause…
For diagnosis, use the collection of anamnesis and the following procedures:
- FGDS, suggesting examination of the stomach and duodenum through an endoscope. In some cases, during EGD, a biopsy is performed to exclude the development of a dangerous disease, and a test for “Helicobacter pylori” is also performed.
- X-ray of the stomach with the esophagus. This method is not as informative as the first, but it is quite enough to detect a narrowing of the esophagus or a hernia.
- Esophageal manometry. In this procedure, the work of the esophagus and its sphincters is determined using a probe. The method is rare and is carried out when the picture is unclear even after EGD.
- Ultrasound of the liver.
Concerning treatment, it can be aimed at eliminating the symptoms or the very cause of heartburn.
What medications for heartburn does the doctor prescribe?
Naturally, not all medications can be taken while waiting for the baby. Therefore, the main purpose will be a diet and fractional meals.
Of the drugs, the doctor can prescribe …
- Phosphalugel. This gel eliminates discomfort in a matter of minutes. It is not recommended to use it all the time. The cost is about 300 rubles.
- Almagel. It belongs to antacids. The duration of the effect is no more than 2 hours. It is not recommended to use more than 3 days in a row. The cost is about 250 rubles.
- Gastal. Able to neutralize acid, acts quickly. Very convenient to travel. The cost is about 200 rubles.
- Maalox. An effective antacid drug with an analgesic effect. The cost is about 300 rubles.
- Rennie… It is considered the least dangerous remedy for heartburn during pregnancy. The cost is about 200 rubles.
- Gestide. Combination drug approved in pregnancy in the form of chewable tablets. The cost is about 150 rubles.
Remember that only a doctor can prescribe this or that drug for you and establish the optimal dosage! It is strongly not recommended to self-prescribe medication to yourself!
Causes of constipation during pregnancy – effective and safe ways to get rid of constipation in a pregnant woman
The Bologny.ru website warns: the information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not a medical recommendation. Do not self-medicate under any circumstances! If you have any health problems, consult your doctor!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!