How much should a child eat from 1 week to a year
A caring mother cares about everything that concerns her child. Especially his health. That is, the baby’s sleep, mood, thermal regime, comfort, coziness and, of course, nutrition, which takes a leading position in all this. The questions young mothers ask themselves are similar – has the child eaten enough? Did he have enough portions to keep him full? How many times a day does the baby need to be fed to gain weight? The content of the article:
Breastfeeding and bottle feeding – basic rules
First of all, you should remember – the baby does not owe anything to anyone, and eats exactly as much as his body needs, because everyone has their own appetite. When the baby is mobile, cheerful, and his sleep is full and healthy, then there is no point in worrying that the baby has not finished his milk or mashed potatoes. Read about proper breastfeeding and remember:
- The consequence of forced feeding – development of neuroses… At this age, food is still poorly digested, and the child may regurgitate.
- If the baby eats more than the norm, but the weight is kept within the prescribed range, it means that the child simply has such a metabolism… Most likely, the baby is very active: he walks, moves, spends his energy – this is the body and needs compensation.
- The main indicator when feeding is not the numbers on the scales, but health status… As for weight gain, it says a lot in the first days and weeks of a toddler’s life.
- Don’t worry too much for no reason. Let the baby eat how much is he able to eat… The main thing is that the food is healthy and suitable for age.
How much should a child eat from 1 week to a year? Specialist recommendations
Do you want to educate your baby “according to the book”? Then follow the recommendations of the doctors. You should know that at different times of the day, the baby can eat different volumes of milk… If you have electronic scales at home, carry out control feeding and weighing. That is, weigh the toddler before and after meals (clothes and diapers must be the same in both cases). The resulting difference in weight is the amount of milk you drink.
Dynamics of the increase in the amount of food
- Second day. The baby eats about 90 ml of food. That is, for one feeding, he consumes 10-30 ml.
- Third day. The volume of milk eaten increases to 190 ml, in accordance with the baby’s “experience” and more intense lactation.
- Fourth day. The amount of food already reaches 300 ml, which is due to the increase in lactation and the improvement of the “sucking” skill.
- Fifth day. The food volume is about 350 ml.
- Sixth day. The volume of food is about 400 ml and more.
Don’t be surprised at the rate of increase in milk intake – it is not an endless process. As soon as the amount of nutrition reaches the age mark, this dynamics will slow down and already stop at its level. Further, the amount of food eaten will be kept stable. And they are calculated in accordance with the body weight of the crumbs.
- Ten days to eight weeks. The volume of food per day is equal to 1/5 of the part (about 750 ml) of the baby’s weight.
- From two to four months – about 900 ml (1/6 of body weight).
- From four to six months – about 1000 ml (and 1/7 of the body weight).
- From six months to twelve months – about 1100 ml (1/8 of body weight).
The daily amount of food is divided by the number of feedings – in this way, the amount of milk that the baby should eat at a time is calculated.
Newborn stomach volume
- After birth – seven ml.
- Fourth day – about forty ml.
- The tenth day is about eighty ml.
- Four weeks – about a hundred ml.
Tips and tricks for nutrition for children under one year old
- During the first months of the baby’s life, it is preferable to feed every three hours (or three and a half) with a break of six night hours – that is, about six times a day.
- Complementary foods begin to be administered after four and a half (five) months. From this moment on, the baby is transferred to food five times a day.
- Want to whet your baby’s appetite? Arrange for him longer walks… The baby’s refusal to eat after a walk is a reason to see a doctor. Moreover, the point is not in the amount eaten after the street, but in appetite – it should be.
- For babies up to a year, the amount of feeding should not exceed per day 1200 ml…
- Talking about “Supplementing”, it should be noted that for “artificial” it is necessary, and for babies on breast milk – it is necessary in the presence of such factors as the heat, fatty foods consumed by the mother and the heating season.
Calculation of infant nutrition in calories according to Maslov
As you know, one liter of breast milk contains about seven hundred kcal… The ratio of the amount of required kcal and the age of the baby:
- For crumbs up to three months – 125 kcal per kilogram of body weight.
- From three to six months – 120 kcal / kg.
- From six to nine months – 115 kcal / kg.
- From nine to twelve months – 105 kcal / kg.
For example, if a baby weighs 5.8 kg at four and a half months, then he needs 120 kcal for each kg, or 696 kcal per day. That is, on average, about 994 ml of food.
How can you tell if your baby is getting enough milk?
The sucking reflex in the baby in the first months is very pronounced. Often, mothers overfeed their babies in this regard. Weight gain is a guideline in this case:
- If in a week the little one has added more than three hundred grams, which means he is being overfed.
- 150-200 grams per week – an adequate increase.
- Less than one hundred grams per week – a reason to worry. Most likely, it is simply a lack of milk. But it’s better to play it safe – the reasons may be more serious. It makes sense to consult a pediatrician.
Ways to increase lactation for full breastfeeding
- Feed more often toddler in the daytime.
- Drink more fluids… Especially water. More liquid means more milk.
- In no case do not rush the child, but also stretch the feeding for at least twenty minutes.
- Drink green tea, carrot juice and the collection “Laktovit”.
The listed remedies for better lactation increase milk production within five days… Further, you can forget about nutritional deficiencies.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!