How to choose pants for your figure
How to choose trousers according to your figure – we asked this question to the professional stylist Yulia Klyukvina, an expert of the COLADY magazine.
Trousers for women were originally borrowed from the men’s wardrobe – this happened in the 30s of the twentieth century, when women’s trousers were sewn in the same cut and fabric as men’s. But this newfangled detail in the women’s wardrobe so liked the fair sex that soon new types of trousers appeared, which were already inherent in purely feminine chic.
At present, the free fluctuations of fashion bring to the “surface” one or another type of women’s trousers, and each woman can choose for herself those trousers that fit her figure best, correspond to her style and the spirit of modern life.
Popular types and styles of trousers
What pants should a woman choose? What’s in vogue now? The stylist tells.
- Marlene Dietrich Style Pants – these are the very first pants for women that looked like men. These are trousers of a straight cut, with wide legs, with a belt that fits tightly at the waist.
- Flared trousers – trousers that fit tightly on the hips, but with trousers flared from the hip.
- Bell pants – trousers that are tight at the waist and hips, but flared from the knee.
- Trousers – “pipes” (“Cigars”, “tubes”) – with narrowed legs, tight-fitting trousers. The legendary Elvis Presley introduced the fashion for such trousers.
- Trousers with “arrows” – classic straight, strict cut trousers with sewn-in folds in the center of the legs – “arrows”.
- Sail pants – very spacious trousers with wide legs made of flowing, very light fabric.
- Trousers (“Shalvars”, Turkish trousers, trousers-balloons) – this is an oriental cut for women, assuming a very wide cut of trousers that do not fit the figure at all, gathered at the ankle with an elastic band, drawstrings or cuffs.
- Banana Pants – the so-called “oval” trousers, tight at the waist and tight-fitting to the upper thighs, but with wide trousers, which are narrowed to the ankle.
- Tapered trousers – came into fashion from military uniforms; These are trousers with significant expansion at the hips, but tight at the waist and upper thighs. Trousers “breeches” have legs narrowed from the knees.
- Zouave Pants (“Harem trousers”, “afghani”, “Ali Baba”, fuzo, aladin, sarsuel) – trousers of a simple and original cut with a very low armhole. These trousers came from the eastern national dress of women in India, Afghanistan; resemble a wide skirt with a sewn-in hem.
- Shalwar (patials, salvars) – trousers that came from eastern culture. They have a yoke on which wide trousers are laid in the folds. At the bottom, at the ankle, shalwar are gathered on the cuff, elastic band, strings. Unlike zouaves, they have a trouser cut of the legs. Sharars – trousers of women of India, with wide legs, not gathered at the ankle.
- Jeans (“Texas”) – trousers made of special denim.
You might be interested in: How to make friends with an unusual duet of the season “dress + trousers” – stylist’s advice
- Corderois (“strokes”) – trousers made of corduroy fabric.
- Leggings (“leggings”) – trousers made of very elastic fabric that fit snugly around the thighs and legs.Trousers with stripes – trousers with straight or tapered legs, with a loop at the bottom, which is worn under the foot, or under the heel of the shoe. These trousers came from 19th century men’s fashion.
- Chino trousers (chinos, chino) – straight-cut trousers, monophonic (white, khaki, beige, blue) made of cotton, linen. They have a sloppy, rumpled look, worn with rolled-up trousers.
- Cargo Pants – deliberately rude, casual trousers of a straight free silhouette, with an abundance of pockets, fasteners, Velcro, buttons, zippers.
- Trousers-pantaloons (“Bloomers”) – very loose, baggy-looking trousers, with trousers, cuffs gathered at the ankles, elastic bands.
- Jodhpurs (“Jockey trousers”) – very tight trousers, tight-fitting to the figure, having strips at the bottom.
- Hipster – trousers of a free cut, a little baggy, with a very low waistline.
- Carrot trousers (trousers – carrots) – loose on the hips, these are trousers with legs tapered downward. Sometimes “carrot” trousers are sewn slightly shortened.
- Hakama Pants (samurai trousers) – tight on the hips, very flared, with folds on the hips. Very similar to the skirt.
- Churidars – trousers of oriental fashion, very wide at the hips, but with tight-fitting, narrow legs. The legs can be very long, so the ankles are tucked up. Sometimes they come with cuffs, fasteners at the bottom.
- Slim – very tight, tight hips and legs trousers with a high waist.
- Skinny – very tight trousers, sometimes called “second skin”.
- Palazzo trousers (“Skirt-trousers”) – reminiscent of a wide skirt, these long trousers are made of lightweight fabrics. They are greatly extended from the hip, with a high waistline.
- Safari Pants – performed in a free straight cut, or with widened legs; have many pockets, rivets, fasteners, buttons. May have cuffs at the bottom.
- Baggy trousers (biker trousers, boyfriend trousers) – a very wide “baggy” cut, with a low armhole, trousers, with large pockets, many fasteners, Velcro.
- Pajama pants – wide straight-cut trousers, gathered at the waist with an elastic band or strings.
- Overalls – trousers in which ordinary trousers are connected to the top (sometimes closed, like a blouse, and open, with straps or a corset). Overalls can be denim, sporty, classic and even evening ones.
Read also: How to wear sweatpants-joggers: instructions from a stylist
How to choose your pants size? The answer is based on the parameters of your figure. Before going to the store, you need to take measurements. Well, if in doubt, ask the seller for help with the choice.
Varieties of trousers and their features
Which pants should you choose? First, let’s look at their varieties.
In addition to long trousers, there are also cropped trousers and shorts:
- Bermuda – trousers above the knees. The name of the trousers comes from the name of Bermuda, and the trousers themselves are taken from the uniform of the British colonial troops.
- Breeches – short trousers to the knee, which fit very tightly to the figure.
- Capri – short trousers to mid-calf or slightly lower.
- Gaucho trousers – trousers with wide flared legs to the calf.
- Pants-golf – were originally sewn for the game of the same name. These are short trousers with knee-length legs, which are sewn from a checkered fabric. The trousers have a cuff at the knees.
- Shorts – short trousers up to mid-thigh and above.
- Cycling shorts – shorts up to the knee or higher, which are made of a very elastic fabric that fits the figure.
- Skirt-trousers – short trousers with a tight fit on the hips and flared from the hips, or with folds at the hips. Very similar to the skirt.
You might be interested in: Pants, wide shoulders and a vest: 8 symbols of emancipation in a woman’s wardrobe
Types of female figures and recommended styles of trousers
Every woman guesses about the shortcomings of her own figure, and, of course, always tries to hide them with the help of clothes. Currently, a huge variety of types, models of trousers allows you to choose them for almost every woman, hiding the flaws and highlighting the advantages. Well-chosen trousers can always make the figure proportional, so it is very important to choose this wardrobe item, focusing not on fashion trends, but on the type of your own figure.
1. A straight figure with an unexpressed waist
With such a figure, a woman should pay attention to narrow trousers of a classic cut, straight, with tapered legs, which should be worn with a wide belt that fits tightly to the waist. It is best to choose light trousers, dark belt. If the trousers are dark, they should have decorative details on the sides of the hips – contrasting zippers, appliqués, flaps, pockets that visually make the hips wider and, therefore, narrower the waist. For this type of figure, leggings, leggings, skinny, slims, as well as all models of trousers pinned at the waist are categorically contraindicated.
2. Excessively long legs
In such a female figure, the main thing is to eliminate this disproportion. A woman with disproportionately long legs should wear cropped straight wide leg trousers with a rolled-up hem, or classic trousers with a wide cuff at the bottom. She will also fit harem pants, zouaves, “Baggy” (all trousers with a low armhole). With this type of figure, a woman should avoid cropped, skinny trousers without a cuff.
3. A figure with flat, uneven buttocks
A woman with this type of figure should pay attention to the models of trousers that have large patch pockets at the back, as well as valves, decorative appliqués. Pants – “bananas” are suitable for a woman of thin physique. With such a figure, a woman should avoid trousers that tightly lighten the hips – leggings, skinny, slim, classic tight trousers. Pants with embellished sides should also not be worn.
4. A small woman with short legs
The owner of such a figure should choose models of trousers that have a high waist, with a moderate leg width, and loose at the hips. This woman is categorically contraindicated in harem pants, zouaves, leggings, leggings, slim, skinny pants, as well as all cropped models of trousers. Pants for a small woman should be chosen best of all in a classic cut, discreet colors.
5. A figure with disproportionately wide hips
A woman with this type of figure needs to choose trousers that have an extension of the leg or flare from the middle of the thigh. Pants for the owner of steep hips should choose elegant ones, without any valves, patch pockets, folds, gathering around the hips. Jeans of an uneven color, with a bleached stripe in the center of the leg (front and back), and with a darkened side, as well as flared or bell trousers with a not very tight fit at the waist, are well suited for such a woman. You should not wear very tight-fitting, tight-fitting trousers, as well as trousers that have decorative details or folds on the hips.
6. A figure with very prominent bulging buttocks
A woman with this body type should choose trousers with details that draw attention away from the top of the thighs. Better if it will be trousers with a yoke, with a wide belt or ties at the waist line. Slit pockets in the back, located in the shape of the letter “V” (at an angle to each other) will help to visually reduce the volume of the buttocks. The owner of overly embossed buttocks should not choose trousers with folds, gathering at the hips, as well as all wide models of trousers – zouaves, harem pants, pajama trousers.
7. A figure with a high waistline and short torso
For women who seek to visually lengthen the torso and make their figure proportional, you can advise wearing shortened types of trousers, you can – with a low waistline. It is best to choose trousers with a classic cut, not too narrow – but not wide either. For trousers, it is worth picking up sandals, on which there are many transverse straps to the ankle.
8. A figure with too wide shoulders and narrow hips
A woman with this type of figure is recommended to choose very wide trousers – harem pants, pajama pants, zouaves, riding breeches. If a woman prefers classic cut trousers, then they can be made of shiny fabric, which will visually enlarge the hips. Shows folds and gathers in the thigh area, as well as flaps and patch pockets that visually add volume to the thighs. Very tight trousers that fit the figure are not suitable for such women.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!