All parents dream of their kids growing up strong and healthy. And baby accessories designed to provide the baby with the necessary care should be made only from natural ingredients and fabrics. And, first of all, it concerns diapers.
The content of the article:
The skin of newborn babies is very delicate, and diapers should be chosen with great care to avoid irritation and diaper rash. This is especially true of diapers for boys. Despite the wide range of various disposable diapers nowadays, many mothers prefer to make them on their own.
DIY diapers. Benefits of homemade diapers
- Substantial savings in the family budget (the fabric used for sewing homemade diapers costs several times cheaper than ready-made diapers).
- The composition of the material is absolutely clear (when buying fabric from a mother, there is always the possibility of a careful choice of natural fabric).
- Air exchange in cloth diapers – complete, unlike factory ones.
- Lack of fragrances and moisturizerswhich can lead to allergies.
- Minimum harm for the environment.
- DIY diapers, always at hand… No need to run after them to the store if they run out.
How to make a diaper with your own hands?
First you need to choose the type of diaper. That is, reusable or disposable… A disposable diaper is changed immediately after a single use for its intended purpose, and a reusable diaper is the basis for replaceable liners. It is clear that both liners and disposable diapers are washed after use.
The main question is how to do it.
You can, following the traditions of ancestors, stop at traditional gauze diaperfolded diagonally from a square cut of fabric. Or choose an option such as knitted trianglewith an elongated vertex. Unfortunately, this option is not practical, because the conversation is about a newborn baby. And he lies in the crib most of the time.
DIY pampers – options for disposable diapers
DIY gauze diaper
- A piece of gauze with a length of 1.6 m is folded in half.
- The resulting square, having a side of 0.8 m, is sewn on a sewing machine along the perimeter of the diaper with a straight line. The diaper is ready.
DIY gauze diaper
- A piece of gauze is folded several times until a piece of 10 cm is obtained.
- The strip is folded in half and sewn by hand (on a typewriter) around the perimeter.
- The resulting gauze insert is 30 by 10 cm.
- This insert is inserted into homemade diapers, or worn under panties.
DIY knitted diaper
- The triangle pattern is created in such a way that the height is about a meter, the corners are rounded, and the base length is 0.9 m.
- The edges are processed on an overlock.
- The diaper is good for use in the summer – the baby’s skin is well ventilated, and there is no discomfort.
DIY reusable diaper
- Panties made of dense fabric that fit the baby’s legs (a gauze insert is placed inside).
- Panties with oilcloth sewn inside (gauze insert is placed in any case).
- Instead of panties, a “gutted” and washed factory diaper is used. Again, a gauze insert is placed inside.
How to make a reusable diaper
You don’t have to be a professional dressmaker to create a diaper. The pattern is as simple as possible and is created on the basis of a traditional factory diaper. Fleece is often used for such hand-made fabrication. The child’s skin, in spite of the synthetics, breathes perfectly in it without sweating.
- A standard diaper is outlined on paper with a pencil.
- A centimeter (allowance) is added on each side.
- The pattern is transferred to the previously washed fabric.
- After cutting, elastic bands are attached from the back and along the folds for the legs (in accordance with the original).
- Next, the Velcro is sewn on.
- The ready-made panties contain an insert made of gauze, cotton or terry cloth.