Angina during pregnancy is a serious problem that cannot be ignored. The expectant mother is not immune from various diseases. And if during this period of her life she feels pain and sore throat, headache and loss of strength, and the redness of the tonsils is accompanied by a high fever, it can be assumed that these are symptoms of sore throat. Of course, the treatment of tonsillitis during pregnancy on your own is highly discouraged. Specialist consultation required!
How to treat a sore throat during pregnancy, so as not to harm the child – tell the certified doctors of the magazine COLADY.
The content of the article:
Angina during pregnancy
Angina (or acute tonsillitis) is an infectious disease – acute inflammation of the tonsils. It is usually caused by the presence of streptococci, which enter the body after contact with a sick person or the use of unwashed products (dishes).
The strongest symptom of sore throat (translated from Latin – “choke”) is severe pain, sedation and dryness in the throat. Sore throat is accompanied, as a rule, by joint aches, weakness, inflammation of the submandibular lymph nodes.
- Catarrhal sore throat is characterized by swelling and redness on the tonsils and palatine arches, as well as mucus on their surface.
- With follicular sore throat, points on the tonsils are yellow-white.
- When the tonsils are covered with a yellowish film, we are talking about lacunar sore throat.
Angina during pregnancy in the 1st trimester is accompanied by a weakening of the whole body. A woman’s body is extremely susceptible to various viral diseases due to temporary physiological immunodeficiency, which is observed in most of the fairer sex during breastfeeding and pregnancy. This is due to the suppression of immunity to curb the rejection of the fetus.
You might be interested in: Legal educational program for expectant mothers: rights of pregnant employees and non-working women, government payments
Angina, in addition to the fact that it does not reflect in the best way on the health of the child and mother, weakens the already reduced defenses of the body, as a result of which resistance to other diseases decreases.
Sore throat symptoms:
- Loss of appetite, chills, weakness, fatigue.
- Fever, sweating and headache.
- Increase and soreness of the cervical and submandibular lymph nodes.
Redness of the tonsils, sore throat and when swallowing, enlarged tonsils and the formation of deposits on them.
Pediatrician, gastroenterologist Elizaveta Gammel tells about the peculiarities of the course of angina during pregnancy
I hasten to reassure expectant mothers! Most of the respiratory infections do not harm the unborn baby. If we are talking about a viral infection – a runny nose, sore throat, low temperature. In this case, you can use local anti-inflammatory and antiseptic agents, even vasoconstrictor drops.
Topically applied drugs (sprays, drops, rinses) work only on mucous membranes, the percentage of absorption into the blood is incredibly low, and even less passage through the placental barrier is practically zero. Therefore, they can be safely used to relieve the course of a mild cold.
Another question is when it is required to use antibiotics or antipyretics for angina. Any remedy used inside must be coordinated with the doctor who is observing you.
During pregnancy, it is allowed to use broad-spectrum antibiotics – protected penicillins, macrolides, without harm to the baby. But they should be taken only in the case of a confirmed bacterial infection, in no case for prophylaxis, without prescription.
Antipyretic drugs: during pregnancy, paracetamol is allowed. Paracetamol crosses the placental barrier, but according to the results of numerous studies, it does not harm the baby.
Important! Treatment for tonsillitis during pregnancy should be monitored by a doctor.
Prevention of sore throat during pregnancy
Angina, like any other disease, is easier to prevent than to fight its consequences. Prevention of measures and strengthening of the body’s defenses are important even at the stage of pregnancy planning.
How to avoid a sore throat:
- Exclude contact with sick people. Also, do not use their personal hygiene items and dishes;
- Wash hands as often as possible, preferably with antibacterial soap;
- During the period when the flu attacks the population, lubricate the mucous membranes of the nose with oxolinic ointment, and gargle with a decoction (infusion) of eucalyptus or calendula before going to bed;
- Carry out a course of vitamin therapy – take special multivitamins for expectant mothers for a month;
- Ventilate the room more often;
- To disinfect the air in the house, use aromatic oils of tea or fir tree, eucalyptus, orange;
- Use humidifiers when using heaters.
Possible consequences of a sore throat during pregnancy:
Untimely treatment of angina contributes to the spread of infection in the intracranial and thoracic regions, and further throughout the body. For a pregnant woman, it is also dangerous because it can cause a miscarriage.
The effect of infection on fetal formation can be manifested by complications such as impaired uterine circulation, intoxication, oxygen starvation, fetal growth retardation and placental abruption.
The most dangerous disease is angina in the first trimester of pregnancy. After this period, when the baby has already formed all the organs, the infection is not able to cause gross malformations, but the risk of premature birth increases due to the possible development of fetal hypoxia.
Treatment of angina during pregnancy
Treatment of angina during pregnancy, as is generally believed, excludes the use of chemicals. But for many expectant mothers, the issue of treating sore throats, fever, cough, runny nose and other ailments is very relevant. How to stop the disease and at the same time protect the child from the negative effects of drugs?
The first thing to do is see your doctor!
You cannot cure a sore throat with simple rinsing; it requires antibiotic therapy. Only a doctor can prescribe drugs that are sparing for the fetus and harmful to the infection.
There is an option – to go to a homeopath, but if a visit to a specialist is not possible, then the following should be done before the arrival of the local doctor:
- Go to bed. You cannot bear colds on your feet. This is fraught with complications.
- Do not give up eating. It is desirable that the food is rich in proteins and vitamins, especially vitamin C.
- Drink lots of warm liquids (not hot, namely warm), because the temperature increased with angina takes away the liquid necessary for the mother and child from the body. At least a mug for an hour. Chicken broth is especially useful at such times, reducing malaise and compensating for fluid loss.
- Reduce temperature, if possible, in a natural way. For example, rubbing with a sponge with warm water. And it should be remembered that it is categorically contraindicated for pregnant women to bring down the temperature with aspirin.
- At least five times a day gargle warm broth (infusion).
A sore throat can be caused by bacteria or a viral infection. A red throat without tonsil inflammation usually indicates pharyngitis. With angina, in addition to such signs as an increase in the tonsils and the appearance of a white bloom on them, the temperature also rises significantly. A sore throat can also be caused by an exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis. In any case, for an accurate diagnosis and prescription of competent treatment, you should contact your doctor.
During pregnancy, medications such as Stopangin, Yoks, Aspirin, Calendula tincture with propolis for gargling and many others.
Safe medicines for angina for pregnant women:
- Miramistin, which does not cross the placenta and is not absorbed into the blood. It is used for purulent sore throat during pregnancy.
- 0.1% chlorhexidine solution… Without being absorbed into the blood, it destroys microbes in case of angina and pharyngitis, it is used for rinsing. Minus – leaves a dark plaque on the teeth.
- Pharmacy chamomile. The action is emollient and anti-inflammatory. An excellent rinse aid.
- Lugol’s solution often appointed by ENT doctors to expectant mothers with acute angina. The product is safe for pregnant women. In the composition – glycerin, iodine and potassium iodide.
- Lozenges for sore throat, for the most part, are contraindicated or ineffective for pregnant women. From lozenges recommended by doctors Laripront and Lizobact, created on the basis of lysozyme (a natural enzyme).
- An excellent remedy – tea tree oil (essential, not cosmetic). Dropping a couple of drops of oil in a glass of water can help gargle a sore throat.
Traditional methods of treating angina
- Grind a few lemons with the peel. Sugar to taste. The mixture should be insisted and taken in a teaspoon five times a day;
- Gargling with soda;
- Finely chop the peeled cloves of the garlic head into a glass of apple juice. Bring to a boil and simmer for about five minutes with a lid on the container. Drink warm, in small sips. Per day – at least three glasses;
- Grate the apple and onion. Add two tablespoons of honey. Take three times a day, half a teaspoon.
- Boil jacket potatoes. Without draining the water, drip a little turpentine into it. Breathe over the steam, covered with a towel, three times a day;
- Dissolve a teaspoon of soda and salt in a glass of warm water, dropping five drops of iodine there. Gargle every two hours;
- Stir a tablespoon of propolis in a glass of warm water. Gargle every 60 minutes. To get rid of a sore throat, put a piece of propolis on the cheek at night;
- Dissolve two tablespoons of coarse salt in one hundred grams of vodka. Lubricate the tonsils with this solution using a cotton swab every half hour, six times;
- Gargle with warm marshmallow infusion (insist 2 tablespoons of marshmallow in 500 ml of boiling water for two hours);
- Mix a liter of hot beer and a glass of yarrow juice. Gargle and take a glass and a half at least three times a day;
- Add vinegar (one tablespoon) to a glass of red beet juice. Gargle a sore throat at least five times a day;
- Boil 100 g of dried blueberries in 500 ml of water until 300 ml of broth remains in the container. Gargle with broth;
- With a mixture of novocaine (1.5 g), alcohol (100 ml), menthol (2.5 g), anesthesin (1.5 g), lubricate the neck three times a day, wrapping it in a warm scarf.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!