How to wean a child from using foul language? Actionable tips
Everyone knows that a growing child copies the actions, words and habits of adults with amazing ease. And, what is most offensive, he copies, as a rule, not the most decent expressions and actions. Parents, shocked by the choice abuse from the lips of their own child, are lost. Either give a belt for foul language, or conduct an educational conversation … What if the child swears? How to wean? How to explain correctly?
The content of the article:
The child swears – what to do? Instructions for parents
- To start pay attention to yourself… Do you use such expressions yourself? Or maybe someone from the family likes to use a swear word. Isn’t it that way in your house? This is almost a guarantee that the child will not use foul language. But it will be very difficult to wean the baby from swearing, if you yourself do not disdain swearing. Why is it possible for you, but not for him?
- Do not tell the child that he is still too small for such words. Children tend to copy us, and the more (according to his logic) he takes from you, the faster he grows up.
- Teach your child to analyze their actions and feelings., talk to him more often, explain by your example what is good and bad.
- Do not panic, if a swear word suddenly flew out of the child’s mouth. Do not get angry and do not scold child. Most likely, the child still does not fully understand the meaning of the word and the meaning of the ban on such words.
- Hearing a bad word for the first time, it is preferable to ignore it… The less you focus on this “incident”, the faster the child will forget this word.
- Take your time to laugh and smile, even if an obscene word in the mouth of a dear child sounded comical. Noticing your reaction, the child will want to please you again and again.
- If swear words began to appear in the child’s speech regularly and consciously, then it’s time to explain to him what they mean, and, of course, express your disappointment with this fact. And, of course, explain why their pronunciation is bad. If the child is trying to solve conflicts with peers using abuse, find other solutions to the conflicts with him.
Why does the child swear?
As a rule, children use bad words unconsciously. Once they hear somewhere, they reproduce them mechanically in their speech. But there may be other reasons, according to the situation and age.
- The kid tries attract the attention of adults… He expects any reaction, even negative, as long as he is given attention. Spend more time with your child, take part in his games. The child must feel needed.
- The kid copies the children from the garden (schools, courtyards, etc.). In this case, the isolation of the child and the prohibition of communication do not make sense. There is no sense in fighting a problem from the outside – you have to fight from within. The child needs a sense of self-confidence and parental love. A cheerful, confident child does not need to prove his authority to his peers through the use of abuse. Imitation of older comrades is a problem for older children – from the age of eight. Be a friend to the child, quietly instilling in him those truths that will help him to remain himself, without losing authority among friends.
- To spite parents… In such a situation, the parents are usually to blame, throwing expressions like “loafers”, “stupid”, etc. Such words mean for a child rejection of his parents. Therefore, in case of any wrongdoing, it is better to explain to the kid why he is wrong.
- Interest in your body. With the “help” of more developed peers, the child learns the “basics of anatomy” in swear words. So it’s time to talk to your child about this sensitive topic. Explain using special age guides for the child. It is impossible to scold the kid in this situation. Such a process of knowing the world is natural for him, and condemnation can cause the child to misperceive elementary things.
There are probably no families that have not gone through this stage of raising children. But if the family is, first of all, a friendly atmosphere, the absence of profanity and complete mutual understanding, then the kid’s hunt for swear words will disappear very quickly…
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!