I want to become a flight attendant or flight attendant – flight attendant salary, training and career
This profession can be safely recorded in the most romantic professions on the planet. True, only at first glance, because this work is difficult, physically difficult and risky (in our time).
If you are not afraid of stress, you feel confident and calm in the sky, and you can also boast of good health, then this information is for you.
The content of the article:
Requirements for flight attendants and flight attendants – what you need to know and be able to do?
It would seem, well, what is difficult? Wear a nice uniform, smile at passengers and serve drinks. What else is needed?
In fact, the flight attendant’s knowledge base includes …
- Job descriptions of a flight attendant.
- Technical / data of aircraft, including their design.
- Psychologist skills-tools.
- Provision of 1st honey / help.
- The geography of the company’s flights.
- Principles of etiquette when providing passengers with meals.
- Safety precautions.
- Use of rescue equipment.
The requirements for flight attendants are as follows:
- Higher education is encouraged and improves your chances. Especially linguistic, medical or pedagogical.
- Knowledge of English (at least) perfectly at the Pre-Intermediate level.
- Age range: 18-30 years old.
- Height: from 160 cm to 175 cm.
- Clothing size: 46-48.
- Vision: not lower than “minus 3”.
- Good-looking appearance and lack of physical disabilities.
- The absence of large moles and scars, categorically – the absence of tattoos and piercings.
- Lack of gold crowns (teeth should be “included” – even and beautiful to charm and soothe passengers with their smile).
- Good health (this fact must be confirmed by a special medical / commission).
- Absence of speech defects. That is, only competent, understandable and clear speech.
- Communication skills, the ability to work under severe stress.
It should be understood that each airline has its own selection criteria, and the requirements may differ significantly. True, there is also a plus: the stricter the requirements, the, as a rule, the better and more profitable the working conditions.
Contraindications to work as a flight attendant – who will be denied employment?
You will definitely not be accepted as a flight attendant, if your medical history includes …
- Blood pressure problems.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Decreased visual acuity or hearing impairment.
- Disturbances in the work of the vestibular apparatus, in the coordination of movements, a sense of balance.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders.
- Diseases of the joints or spine.
- Speech disorder, seizures, hand tremors, fear of heights.
- Allergies or skin diseases.
- The presence of infectious or chronic diseases.
- Diseases of the urinary, respiratory systems or gastrointestinal tract.
- Hemorrhoids, thrombophlebitis.
- Addiction to alcohol or drugs.
- The presence of visible physical defects.
Features of the work and career of flight attendants – what to prepare for when choosing the profession of a flight attendant?
What is special about this profession? Of course, in the first place is far from the food supply of passengers, and their safety.
The duties of a flight attendant include …
- Checking the complete completeness of all aircraft / equipment and emergency rescue equipment, as well as their serviceability.
- Internal communication check.
- Inspection of the aircraft for the presence / absence of foreign objects.
- Monitoring the sanitary condition of the vessel, maintaining cleanliness in the cabin.
- Clarification of information and, in general, informing passengers.
- Reception / placement of both pantry and kitchen utensils and board / property.
- Assisting passengers.
- Catering for passengers, serving carts, etc.
- Accommodation of passengers, control during embarkation / disembarkation.
- Monitoring compliance with safety rules.
- Control over the temperature of the air in the cabin, as well as the pressure and humidity.
- And etc.
Of the features of the profession, the following can be noted …
- Serious physical activity. Firstly, the flight attendant, unlike the passengers, is constantly on their feet, and secondly, the regular change of climate and time zones is not beneficial.
- Serious stress on the psyche. Flight attendants often have to pacify raging tourists, rescue those who need urgent medical assistance, and also calm passengers in emergency situations.
- Motherhood and heaven are incompatible. Often, stewardesses who do not yet know about their situation have miscarriages. Pressure drops, vibration, frequent change of time zones and climate, footwork – all these factors cannot but affect pregnancy. Therefore, flights have to be abandoned even at the stage of only planning the future baby. Career or child – how to make a choice?
- Insomnia – another occupational / disease, which is then difficult to get rid of, even at “earthly” work. It is very difficult to change the rhythm of “freedom”.
- With personal life, too, not everything is smooth. Not every man wants a stewardess wife who is constantly absent from home. Unless it’s a pilot. In most cases, as life shows, the flight attendant meets her soul mate among the passengers, and after this fateful meeting you have to wrap up your career.
Flight attendant salary on domestic and international flights
In this matter, it all depends on …
- The country in which the flight attendant works.
- Airline size.
- Level of education and knowledge of in / languages.
- Flight route, experience and number of hours flown.
- Internal company policy.
At first, the salary will not be high, of course, but gradually the earnings will grow and eventually reach an amount 3-4 times higher than the first salary.
- Salary in Russia: from 600-800 dollars to 1500-1800.
- In Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan: 800-1600 dollars.
- IN USA: about $ 3500.
- In Australia, England: up to $ 4000.
What are the prospects?
Firstly, it is worth noting that there is and will be a demand for this profession – airlines are only growing every year, and there is always a shortage of professional staff.
What are the prospects?
- At first, you work on domestic, short flights.
- Over time, as you gain experience, business trips become longer and more interesting. There is a possibility of long-distance flights with a well-deserved rest at the place of arrival.
- Getting a qualification / rank depends on the number of flight hours. For example, after 2000 hours in the sky, you become a 2nd class flight attendant with a corresponding increase in your salary. And after 6,000 flight hours, she became a 1st class flight attendant.
- Where then? The vacancies that will be open for an experienced 1st class flight attendant with a higher education are an inspector who checks the work of the crews, or a flight attendant-instructor who, over time, may even become a senior member of the company.
- Once a year – a free flight to anywhere in the world.
- 90% discount on any passenger flights.
- Additional “increase” to the salary when selling Duty Free goods or in the provision of certain services.
- Hotel discounts in those countries where stops are made during official flights.
- Long vacation. 28 compulsory days + up to 42 additional days, depending on the number of flight hours.
- Retired at 45.
How to enter and where to study for a flight attendant – is it possible to get a job without training?
If you are eager to start in this profession right from school, then you can pay attention to …
- Aviation and Transport School of Civil Aviation A.A. Novikov in St. Petersburg.
- Moscow State Technical University of Civil Aviation.
- State University of Civil Aviation in St. Petersburg.
You will have to pay 36-70 thousand rubles for training.
However, the absence of such education is not a reason to fold “wings” and fall into despondency. Airlines today train their own flight attendants. Moreover, if you are going to stay in this company (the condition is to work in the company for 3 years, and for breaking the contract you will have to part with a tidy sum), then the training will be free. Moreover, you will also be entitled to a small scholarship “for kefir with a bun.”
If you choose to study at your own expense, then the choice of the place of work is yours.
It is worth noting that the classes will be extremely intense, and it will not be possible to combine them with study or work. An important point: courses at an airline are a guarantee of employment.
What is the action plan?
- First – an interview in the personnel department of the airline.
- Then the credentials committee. 5-8 employees of the company will bombard you with various questions. The decision – whether you are the right person – is made on the same day.
- After – VLEK (approx. – medical-flight expert / commission). That is, a thorough medical examination, which is sent to if you have successfully passed the interview.
- Further – vocational training (courses). Their duration is about 3 months, 6 days a week.
- And – employment. Where and how to look for work?
Where and how to find a job for a flight attendant with no experience or with experience – advice from experienced
Airlines usually only invite flight attendants in autumn and spring, so your reference point is this time of year.
- Find out the number of the HR department and inquire when the next recruitment is expected.
- By sending a request by e-mail, take care of a beautiful photo to your resume… After all, the stewardess is the face of the company!
- And do not forget to write about having a higher education and impeccable knowledge of the English language.
- Your advantage: a diploma of a linguistic or medical university, or at least linguistic courses for your diploma from a regular university.
If you liked our article and you have any thoughts about this, please share with us. Your opinion is very important for us!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!