indicators, norm, antibodies to hCG, hCG during pregnancy
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) Is a hormone produced by the placenta when a fertilized egg is introduced into the uterine cavity. Due to the presence of hCG in the woman’s blood, pregnancy proceeds well, and the fetus develops correctly.
See also what should be the normal blood test results during pregnancy. HCG is also produced by the body when certain specific diseases occur.
The content of the article:
When is hCG control prescribed?
- To diagnose early pregnancy;
- To exclude ectopic pregnancy;
- To assess the effectiveness of induced abortion;
- To monitor the course of pregnancy;
- If you suspect a missed pregnancy;
- For the diagnosis of tumors;
- For early diagnosis of fetal malformations.
- For the diagnosis of tumor diseases of the prostate and testicles.
Free b-hCG – when is an analysis needed?
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is composed of alpha particles and beta particles.
The most significant is the beta particle, which has the name free b-hCG…
When is it needed?
- For diagnosing various fetal pathologies in the first three months of pregnancy (Down syndrome, Edwards syndrome and Patau syndrome);
- Pregnant women aged 35 and over;
- The presence of congenital malformations in the closest relatives of a pregnant woman, as well as radiation or other harmful exposure to one of the spouses before pregnancy.
Analysis for antibodies to hCG
The study looks at the blood cells that attack and destroy the hCG hormone, which is the main cause of miscarriage. Antibodies to hCG can begin to be produced in a woman’s body under the influence of past viral diseases, as a result of hormonal disruption, etc.
- In case of miscarriage;
- In the event that a woman cannot get pregnant for a long time.
What is the normal hCG level during pregnancy?
HCG rate, honey / ml
Men, non-pregnant women <5
HCG levels for pregnant women:
Week of pregnancy / Norm hCG (honey / ml)
1-2 / 25-200
2-3 / 110-5000
3-4 / 1110-31500
4-5 / 2500-82000
5-6 / 23000-150000
6-7 / 27000-240000
7-11 / 21000-300000
11-16 / 6150-105000
16-21 / 4800-80200
21-39 / 2700-78000
These are the average values of the norm, which sometimes vary depending on the impact of various factors. Only a qualified specialist can fully appreciate the results obtained.
HCG indicators for ectopic pregnancy
A study with an ectopic pregnancy gives a positive result. In this case, the level of hCG rises, but remains below the indicator during normal pregnancy. Evidence of this is the indistinctly colored second strip on the home rapid pregnancy test. It is possible to speak with confidence about an ectopic pregnancy only after an ultrasound scan.
Another feature of hCG is that its level during normal pregnancy, it increases rapidly every two to three days… HCG with an ectopic pregnancy does not have such growth dynamics. Over time, it remains at the same level or may decrease slightly.
What do deviations from the norm mean?
An increase in hCG in men and non-pregnant women may indicate the occurrence of serious diseases:
- testicular tumors;
- tumors in the gastrointestinal tract;
- neoplasms in the lungs, kidneys, uterus;
- cystic drift;
- chorionic carcinoma.
In addition, an increase in the level of hCG can be observed in within a few days after the procedure for terminating the pregnancy, as well as when taking medications containing hCG.
An increase in hCG levels during pregnancy indicates:
- multiple pregnancies (hCG increases in proportion to the number of fruits);
- gestosis, toxicosis;
- diabetes mellitus during pregnancy;
- possible fetal pathologies (Down syndrome, other malformations);
- incorrectly determined period of pregnancy;
- taking gestagens.
Low hCG levels in pregnant women may indicate:
- incorrect determination of the duration of pregnancy;
- ectopic pregnancy;
- the presence of an undeveloped pregnancy;
- delayed fetal development;
- the threat of spontaneous abortion (hCG is reduced by 50% or more);
- chronic placental insufficiency;
- true prolongation of pregnancy;
- fetal death.
There are times when the results of the analysis for hCG show a complete absence of the hormone. Such a result is likely if the analysis is performed very early or if there is an ectopic pregnancy.
Was this analysis indicative for you?
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!