If you want to strike a healthy balance between understanding how to leave the past behind and how to live in the present moment, be sure to heed the tips below.
Think about the past, so to speak, in small doses and always from a rational point of view, for example, to remember pleasant experiences, identify mistakes and draw conclusions, or find the key to past success. In the same way, by the way, it is worth thinking about the future – that is, visualizing your well-being and tranquility.
COLADY will show you how to let go of the past and find happiness in the present.
How to live in the present?
When we do mindfulness meditation, we do not ignore or reject thoughts of the past or future, we simply choose not to focus on them.
The laws of the universe and quantum laws say that where we are present as observers, our reality is created and manifested.
It’s okay to recognize and fix our thoughts about the past and the future. The main thing is not to get carried away with them.
We are present in the present when we consciously reflect on past events, rather than immersed in them. Plus, being aware and accepting of the present moment is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety.
Now here are a few steps to help you better understand and accept the present and get rid of unnecessary anxiety.
1. Develop self-awareness
Practice taking joy and pleasure from every moment. Avoid worrying about the future by fully immersing yourself in the present.
Focus on your breathing and interact with yourself, your body and soul. Learn to go with the flow. Try to immerse yourself in such a way that you lose track of time – just focus on yourself and your breathing.
Develop your ability to receive. Accept what is bothering you, do not deny the worry, do not resist or hide from it.
And remember that breathing is the foundation. Always return to breathing!
Read also: Mindful breathing: an effective practice for awareness of yourself and your own body
You can also try other exercises to increase your awareness and acceptance of the present moment, including body scans, visualizing your goals, walking in nature, and feeling grateful.
Meditation is one of the most effective tools for staying in the moment. There are a number of meditative practices that are designed specifically for the awareness of the present.
Try the following simple steps to master meditation:
- Take 5 minutes in the morning or before bed.
- Get into a comfortable position – it is best to sit with your back straight.
- Include your “inner watchdog” who will control your thoughts. This guardian should not let thoughts of the past or the future through until the end of the meditation.
- Say the following phrases to yourself at least three times: “It’s time to grasp the present moment” “I let go of the past and the future.”
- Focus your attention on the sounds you hear without trying to change anything.
- Concentrate on the sensations of the body. Your hands, your feet, the touch of clothing on your skin, any muscle pain, spasm or tingling sensation, or any other sensation that may occur during the process.
- Focus on the thoughts that come up. Observe how they appear, how they circle in the head, and then leave it.
- Label each thought, such as “worry,” “excitement,” “hurt,” or “happiness.”
Finally, focus on your breathing. Watch him and notice how your chest rises and falls with each inhalation and exhalation.
Types of mindfulness meditation
While mindfulness meditation is a fairly broad and somewhat generic term, there are several specific types you can try.
- Basic mindfulness meditation… Focus on your breath, word or mantra and allow thoughts to come and go easily. Don’t beat yourself up for the “wrong” thoughts.
- Body sensations… Feel all bodily sensations: itching, tingling, pain. Accept and release them calmly.
- Sensory perception… It is the awareness of what you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch. Identify your feelings and release them too.
- Emotions… Let the emotions be present in you, do not be intimidated by them and do not try to get rid of them. Characterize these emotions, allow them to arise, and then let them disappear with ease.
- Adoption… Accept your value judgments and note for yourself how you feel when they come to your mind. Then remind yourself that they will soon disappear.
And remember, the key to happiness lies in accepting the present moment!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!