Natural childbirth or caesarean with breech presentation of the fetus
Expectant mothers always want a baby to be born with the least complications. And what about those pregnant women whose babies lie in the womb with their legs down? What to do with breech presentation of the fetus – to give birth naturally or to use a cesarean section?
The content of the article:
Caesarean section or vaginal delivery – when and who makes the decision?
If after 37 weeks the child remains in the “wrong” position, then the doctor is obliged to send the pregnant woman to the hospital. In the department, a council of doctors will finally decide in what way the delivery will take place.
Video: Breech presentation of the fetus – what to do?
The decision is made after considering a number of factors and depends on:
- age of the woman in labor. After 35 years, the first childbirth is considered late and is often accompanied by chronic diseases (liver, gastritis, ulcers), edema, so you should not endanger the baby’s life and give birth naturally.
- gender of the child. Boys lying with their booty down, in order to avoid trauma to the scrotum, “give birth” by cesarean section.
- the size of the child. If the baby is in the pelvic position and weighs more than 3.5 kg by the time of birth, then it is impossible to give birth naturally – only an operation.
- conditions of the placenta, fetal blood flow. Repeated cardiotocography (CTG) is done to obtain information about the baby’s heartbeat and uterine activity of the expectant mother, as well as dopplerometry, which can be used to determine the blood circulation of the placenta and evaluate the whole system: “mother – placenta – baby.”
- the size of the pelvis. When the mother has a narrow pelvis, a caesarean section is prescribed even if the fetus is in the correct position.
the course of pregnancy. If throughout pregnancy a woman had problems with well-being (severe toxicosis, fetal hypoxia, malfunction of the placenta, etc.), then, undoubtedly, it is better not to be in danger, but to have a cesarean section with breech presentation. The basis for the operation is multiple pregnancies with the “wrong” location of at least one of the babies.
- maternal health and previous birth. If a pregnant woman has problems with female organs (scars, tumors on the uterus), there were abortions or the previous pregnancy was not successful, then it is advisable not to put herself or the baby at risk, but to give birth with the help of surgery.
What will happen – surgery or natural childbirth with breech presentation of the fetus – decide the doctors observing the woman, making the choice so that childbirth will take place with minimal complications.
The Obstetric Twist – How Does It Happen?
In the modern world, there are many ways to turn the baby and change the breech presentation to the correct one:
- gymnastics with breech presentation of the fetus. Classes using the methods of Bryukhov, Grishchenko and other specialists give good results. 95% of babies, after completing a set of exercises, take a head presentation.
- conversations with the baby.
The baby in the mother’s tummy begins to hear from the 20th week of pregnancy. Parents can kindly talk to the future offspring and ask him to roll over. Daily 10-20 minute communication with an unborn baby makes it possible to change his position to the correct one.
- If gymnastics and talking with the baby did not help, there is another way to rotate the fetus – external obstetric turn according to the method of the Soviet obstetrician – gynecologist Arkhangelsk.
If a woman has 37-38 weeks of pregnancy, the amount of amniotic fluid is within normal limits, there is sufficient fetal mobility, there are no abnormalities in the structure of the uterus and there are no signs of cord entanglement, then she can use the obstetric rotation procedure. Outer turning process is carried out necessarily in a hospital, in a hospital… The pregnant woman lies down on the couch, the obstetrician, making smooth movements along the woman’s belly, gradually turns the baby into the correct position.
Video: External obstetric turn
Gymnastics with breech presentation
Take advantage of gymnastics for pregnant women with breech presentation, which will help to turn the baby over and take a cephalic presentation.
Video: Exercises for pregnant women with breech presentation of the fetus
- A woman needs lie on a hard surface on your side and is in this position for 10 minutes. Then you need to turn over to the other side and also lie down for 10 minutes. Do this exercise 3-4 times. We repeat it several times throughout the day.
- Exercise “Bridge”… Lie on your back, then put pillows under the pelvis so that it is 30-40cm above shoulder level. Take the position of the bridge for 5-7 minutes. During the day, repeat 3 times. This exercise can be done with your spouse. In this case, put your feet on his shoulders so that your popliteal fossa are located on his shoulders;
- Knee-elbow position… You can perform this exercise from 30 to 36 weeks. A woman needs to get on all fours so that her head is lowered and her pelvis is raised. The exercise should be repeated several times a day for 7-10 minutes;
- Lying on your back, we spread our legs shoulder-width apart… We spread straight feet out or bring them down, trying to put them on the floor. We repeat the exercise about 10 times;
- We kneel, leaning on our elbows. Raise one leg to the top and take it to the side. We touch the floor of it, and return it to its original position. Repeat the exercise with each leg 5 times;
- On all fours we walk on the floor with our palms right and left;
- We lay down on the floor and do diaphragmatic breathing…
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!