Have you been chosen as godmother? This is a great honor and a great responsibility. The duties of a godmother are not limited only to the sacrament of baptism and congratulations to the child on the holidays – they will continue throughout life. What are these responsibilities? What do you need to know about the ordinance of baptism? What to buy? How to Prepare?
What a godmother should do – say the experts of the COLADY magazine.
The content of the article:
Baptism – the essence and meaning of the baptismal ceremony
The rite of baptism is a Sacrament in which the believer dies to sinful carnal life in order to be reborn from the Holy Spirit into spiritual life. Baptism is cleansing a person from original sinwhich is communicated to him through his birth. Equally, as a person is born only once, and the Sacrament is performed only once in a person’s life.
How to prepare for baptism with godparents
One should prepare for the Sacrament of Baptism in advance.
- Two or three days before the ceremony, future godparents should to repent of their earthly sins and to receive the Holy Communion.
- Directly on the day of baptism it is forbidden to have sex and eat…
- At the baptism of the girl godmother will have to read the prayer “Symbol of Faith”, when the boy is baptized it reads Godfather…
Godmother’s Responsibilities – What Should She Do?
A child cannot choose a second mother himself, this choice is made for him by his parents.
What responsibilities godmother?
- She vouched for the newly baptized a child before the Lord.
- Is responsible for spiritual education baby.
- Takes part in life and education baby on a par with biological parents.
- Takes care of the child in a situation where something happens to the biological parents.
The godmother is spiritual mentor for her godson and an example of the Christian way of life.
- Praying for a child and be loving and caring with him.
- Attend church with a childif his parents do not have this opportunity due to illness or absence.
- Remember your responsibilities on religious holidays, regular holidays and on weekdays.
- Take seriously the problems in the godson’s life and support him in difficult stages of life…
- Interested in and promote the spiritual growth of the child…
- Serve an example of a godly life for the godson.
Features of the rite of baptism
- The biological mother of the child is prohibited from attending the baptism. A young mother is considered “not clean” after childbirth, and until the cleansing prayer, which is read by the priest on the fortieth day after birth, cannot be in the church. So it is she who holds the baby in her arms… Including undressing, dressing, calming, etc.
- For the rite of baptism in many temples it is customary to collect a donation… But even in the absence of funds, they cannot refuse to conduct the rite of baptism.
- Baptism in the temple is optional. You can invite a priest home, in case the baby is sick. After his recovery, he should be brought to the temple for churching.
- If the name of the baby is present in the Holy Calendar, then it is saved unchanged at Baptism. In other cases, the child is given the name of that Saint, on the day of which the ceremony is held. Read: How to choose the right name for a newborn baby?
- The spouses, as well as the biological parents of the child, cannot become godparents, because the Sacrament of Baptism presupposes the emergence spiritual relationships between the godparents.
- Considering that carnal relationships between spiritual relatives are not allowed, marriages between them are also prohibited.
What should a godmother do at a christening?
- Baptism rite lasts about an hour… It consists of the Announcement (reading special prayers over the child), his renunciation of Satan and union with Christ, as well as the confession of the Orthodox faith. The corresponding words for the baby are pronounced by the second father and mother.
- At the end of the announcement, the succession of Baptism begins – immersion of the child in the font (thrice) and pronouncing traditional words.
- She (if the newly baptized is a girl) takes a towel and takes from the font of the child…
- Baby clothed in white clothes and put a cross on him…
- Further Confirmation is performed, after which the godparents and the priest walk around the font with the baby (three times) – as a sign of spiritual joy from union with Christ for eternal life.
- Miro is washed from the baby’s body by the priest using a special sponge dipped in holy water.
- Then to the baby hair cut on four sides, which are folded on a wax cake and lowered into the baptismal font (a symbol of obedience to God and sacrifice in gratitude for the beginning of spiritual life).
- Prayers are being said for the newly baptized and his godparents, followed by churching…
- Priest carries the baby through the templeif it is a boy, he is brought into the altar, after which he is given to his parents.
- After baptism – communion…
Requirements for a godmother at christening
The most important requirement is be baptized orthodoxwho live according to Christian laws. After the ceremony, the godparents should contribute to the spiritual growth of the child and pray for him. If the future second mother has not yet been baptized, then first she must be baptized, and only then – the baby. Biological parents can be generally unbaptized or profess a different faith.
- The second should be aware of their responsibility for raising a child. Therefore, it is encouraged when relatives are chosen as godparents – family ties are broken less often than friendships.
- The second father can attend the girl’s baptism in absentia, godmother – only in person… Her duties include taking the girl out of the font.
Godparents shouldn’t forget about the day of baptism… On the day of the Guardian Angel, the child should go to church every year, light a candle and thank God for everything.
What to wear for a godmother for a christening
The modern church is more loyal to many things, but it is certainly recommended to take into account its traditions. Basic requirements for a godmother at baptism:
- Second parents pectoral crosses (consecrated in the church) is obligatory.
- It is unacceptable to come to baptism in trousers. Wear a dressthat will hide the shoulders and legs below the knee.
- On the godmother’s head there must be a scarf…
- High heels are superfluous. The baby will have to be held in your arms for a long time.
- Flashy makeup and defiant clothing are prohibited.
What do godparents buy for baptism?
- White baptismal shirt (dress). It can be simple or embroidered – it all depends on the choice of the godparents. The shirt (and everything else) can be purchased directly at the church. The old clothes are taken off the baby at baptism as a sign that he appears clean before the Lord, and the baptismal gown is put on after the ceremony. Traditionally, this shirt should be worn for eight days, after which it is removed and stored for a lifetime. Of course, you cannot baptize another baby in it.
- Pectoral cross with the image of the crucifixion. They buy it right in the church, already consecrated. It doesn’t matter – gold, silver or simple, on a string. Many, after baptism, remove crosses from children so that they do not accidentally damage themselves. According to church canons, the cross should not be removed. Therefore, it is better to choose a light cross and such a string (ribbon) so that the baby is comfortable.
- Towel, in which the baby is wrapped after the Sacrament of Baptism. It is not washed after the ceremony and is kept as carefully as a shirt.
- Cap (kerchief).
- The best gift from godfathers would be cross, scapular or silver spoon…
Also for the rite of baptism you will need:
- Baby blanket… For comfortable swaddling of the baby in the baptismal room and warming the baby after the font.
- Small bag, where you can fold a lock of baby’s hair, cut by the priest. It can be stored along with a shirt and towel.
It is advisable to make sure in advance that things are suitable for the baby.
After the rite of baptism
So, the baby was christened. You have become a godmother. Of course, by tradition, this day is a holiday… It can be celebrated in a warm family circle or crowded. But it is worth remembering that christening is, first of all, a holiday of the spiritual birth of a baby. You should prepare for it in advance and thoroughly, having thought over every detail. After all spiritual birthday, which you will now celebrate every year, is much more important than the day of physical birth.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!