Photography has long occupied an important place in the life of every person. No event is complete without a “flash”, in every computer there are folders with photos, in every house there are albums with the most beautiful family pictures.
Of course, the path of a photographer is thorny and not always successful, but if you were “born with a camera,” then there is only one way – forward!
The content of the article:
Conditions and features of the photographer’s work – professional responsibilities
Contemporary photographers are classified not only by the level of professionalism (approx. – amateur and professional), but also by the field of activity, as well as by the genre of photography.
There are advertising, family and wedding photographers, forensic and documentary filmmakers, fashion photographers and photo artists, paparazzi, photo reporters and street photographers, etc.
Direction everyone chooses according to their aspirations and needs.
The working conditions of the photographer also depend on the chosen path:
- For example, when working in a regular photo studio it will be a classic working week with a salary. You don’t have to go far – work is always at hand, sometimes there are bonuses, there is no strong nervous tension. As well as great income.
- Or “free artist”, whose work can be seen at exhibitions, in magazines, etc. A person who has already “earned” a name for himself. A master, for a photo session with whom people are willing to pay a lot of money. How to Create Your Own Photo Studio from Scratch and Promote a Photo Business – Tips for Beginners
- Or a beginner earning in the summer at weddings, and in the winter – on rare photo sessions.
Features of the photographer’s work
It seems, well, what is difficult here – I pressed the button, took a picture, threw it onto a flash drive.
In fact, the work of a photographer is not as easy as you think …
- The value of photographs is in its quality, advantageous angle, plot. Light, composition, processing are also important. In general, a photographer should be not only experienced but also absolutely talented. Otherwise, his works will simply be lost among millions of similar ones.
- Photographers’ clients can be so moodythat it is difficult not only to get along with them, but also to work.
- You need to be able to work in any weather and in any conditions.
- Photography should not only be beautiful, bright and interesting – The “viewer” should even feel its taste, hear smells and sounds. This is the highest level of craftsmanship.
- Working abroad can be dangerous. This activity in a number of countries can be interpreted as criminal. The reason – in “tax-free expensive activities” on the territory of another country. The punishment is a fine and deportation. Most often this happens in Thailand, Cuba.
- With regular flights, transportation in luggage, poor working conditions and other extreme factors, the equipment tends to deteriorate.
- Expensive equipment is often stolen. Moreover, not only when traveling abroad, but also when working in your home country.
- On long journeys you have to take with you duplicate sets of key elements (consumables, cameras, lenses, etc.) in order to quickly solve all the technical problems that arise, far from the usual possibilities.
- Guaranteed safety of shooting (which is extremely important for any photographer in any genre and in any field of activity) is the duplication of shooting on various media (cloud resources, hard drives, flash drives). That is, you need to carry with you not only a laptop and a camera, but access to the Internet must be constant.
- The work of a professional photographer – this is most often an extremely tight schedule and constant stress. Because in addition to preparation for shooting, technical / preparation and shooting itself, there is also a round-trip road, organizing the material, converting it, correcting and processing, communicating with not always adequate clients, etc.
A bright portfolio is the key to success in the modeling business!
Pros and cons of being a photographer – is it right for you?
One of the most important advantages of this profession is freedom of creativity… It depends only on you and your imagination what this or that photo will be.
You can also note the following pluses:
- The ability to choose a field of activity (journalism, art, fashion, forensic science, etc.).
- Possibility of choosing “graphics: a full-time photographer or” by himself “with a free schedule.
- Self-realization and creativity.
- The opportunity to make good money.
- The ability to turn a hobby into a favorite job with income.
Disadvantages of the profession:
- A lot of routine work (the lion’s share of all work in general).
- Difficulties of a physical and psychological nature.
- Serious stress in case of failures, criticism of clients, frustration of hopes.
- Fatigue and chronic lack of sleep.
- Good equipment costs a lot of money.
- The competition is very high and fierce.
Professional skills and qualities required for successful work as a photographer
One of the most important qualities that a professional should have is patience. Without it, it is impossible to work with people (and all people are different), to carry out the tedious part of the work, to take pictures of restless children and animals, etc.
The following qualities are also important:
- Rich imagination, creativity and sense of humor.
- Creativity and sociability.
- Benevolence and diplomacy.
- Sense of style and sense of tact.
- Self confidence.
- Fast reaction.
- Punctuality and responsibility.
What should a photographer be able to do?
First of all, he must be simultaneously a psychologist, a salesman, a retoucher, an artist and a director, as well as a manager, a stylist, etc.
The photographer should know …
- Fundamentals of photography and photo optics, composition, exposure, focus, etc.
- Basics of image processing.
- The basics of psychology and business communication.
- Basics of Photoshop and other photo editing programs, as well as the basics of working with a PC in general.
- The basics of working with light, perspective, foreshortening, etc.
- Properties and all the possibilities of photographic equipment and lighting.
- Actually, all the knowledge that can be useful to a photographer has long been presented in countless textbooks published and republished.
Also, the photographer will “need”:
- Normal visual acuity.
- Accuracy of a plane and linear eye.
- Kinesthetic sensitivity “at the level”.
It is worth remembering about contraindications!
- Such work is not recommended for people with problems …
- Musculoskeletal system.
- Organs of vision.
- The spine.
Photographers Salaries in Russia and Career Opportunities
The income of a given specialist directly depends both on the level of his professionalism and on the place of work itself.
- Photographer in any company: 8-hour working day, salary 15,000-40,000 rubles.
- A pay-for-exit photographer in a company. Salary – 500-1000 rubles / hour. A month – about 30,000-40,000 rubles.
- Sale of photographs to printed publications. Income depends on the number of orders.
- Shooting in parks, recreation areas, clubs and selling works on posters, magnets, etc. Income depends on location and season.
- Photo stocks. On such resources, you can sell photos very successfully ($ 100-800 per 1 piece). True, it will take a lot of time, you will have to risk money, and you also need to constantly “be in trend”.
- Own business. Income is unstable, but creative work for oneself.
- On-site shooting (approx. – weddings, corporate parties, etc.). The income is not stable, but good.
The more regular clients a photographer has, the higher his income. Individual artist fees can reach 200,000 r…
What about your career?
- There are not so many options here, but they are:
- Head of the photo studio.
- Own business and own brand.
Where to study to be a photographer – all the possibilities for learning the profession
This profession is available to any person.
Moreover, it is completely optional to graduate – literature and special courses are enough today. Each purposeful beginner is quite capable of independently studying all the features of “photography” and further hone his skills.
But nevertheless, it is easiest to get to the professional level “with little blood” after training in special studio or photo school from famous photographers.
The most popular ones are:
- School of photography and multimedia. A. Rodchenko (note – Moscow).
- Academy of Photography (approx. – Moscow).
- Academy of Photography (approx. – St. Petersburg).
- Kulikov’s School of Creative Photography (note – Nizhny Novgorod);
- School of photography by Ksenia Preobrazhenskaya (note – Chelyabinsk).
Useful books for future photographers
- S. Kelby “Digital Photography”. It is considered a bestseller among professionals and newbies. No “cleverness”, professional jargon, etc. Simple examples, comprehensive manual, step-by-step description.
- Lapin “Photography as …”. In addition to basic recommendations, there is a shooting technique with expert commentary. A book for photographers of all levels.
- 3. Clayhorn “Portrait photography”. Here for you – work with flash and the nuances of lighting, psychology and technology, mood, etc. A desk guide that will help you look at your chosen profession with a new look.
- L. Dyko “Conversations about …”. A rich book with conveniently structured material and its presentation in the form of a dialogue with the reader. A masterpiece from the 70s is still relevant, detailed and thorough.
- Email McWinney “The Complete Course of Photography”… Desktop guide to the world of photography for beginners.
- N. Birzhakov “Digital Photo”… Three times republished tutorial with video tutorials on DVD. Designed for beginners and professionals.
- Lee Frost “Panoramic Shooting”, as well as “Night and Evening Shooting”.
Useful sites for future photographers:
- Takefoto.ru: reviews, advice.
- Prophotos.ru: thematic news, a section for beginners, useful articles, etc.
- Photo-element.ru: useful articles.
- Photoindustria.ru: a lot of “tasty” for photographers (articles, lessons).
- Fototips.ru: a guide for beginners.
- Photogeek.ru: advice for any occasion of photo life.
- Fotogora.ru: advice-instructions.
- Photoword.ru: choice of subject and angle, photography in clubs, organization of pin-up shooting, etc.
- Fotogu.ru: information on how to “make it beautifully”.
- Photoline.ru: theory in articles, books.
- Photo-monster.ru: video tutorials for different skill levels.
- Macroclub.ru: For fans of macro photography.
- Toto-school.ru: how to overcome technical difficulties in the life of a photographer.
- 8020photo.com: An interesting blog for those looking for “about light”.
- Photosay.ru: the most intimate about photography.
- Vasily Andreev’s website: Articles for masters and beginners.
- Fashionbank.ru: a meeting place for photographers with their future models. Looking for the right person? That way.
- Zimfor.ru: With this virtual camera you can quickly figure out shutter speed, aperture and more.
Looking for a job as a photographer from scratch – is it realistic to get a job without experience?
Even a beginner “master of photography” in our time will not be left without money.
You can remain a free freelance photographer, carry out individual orders on the road or in your own studio.
And you can get a job …
- To a publishing house or to the media.
- In the studio or in a photo studio.
- To a modeling agency or laboratory.
- Try yourself in the advertising business, etc.
Where to begin?
- Buy all the hardware you need. Don’t be stingy – you invest in your prospects.
- After training, you need skills and experience. Find an opportunity to work as an assistant with a specialist.
- Consider all possible options for getting started.
- Don’t miss any opportunity to gain experience that is always invaluable!
- Submit your work to newspapers and magazines, create your own website with a portfolio, “shine” wherever you can light up – let them remember you. Secrets of a successful job search – where to look and who will help?
- Advertise your services on the Internet and in the media, in social networks.
- Don’t forget about individual photo sessions.
- Use photo stocks to promote (and make money). Look for opportunities for your own photo exhibition.
Yes, the competition in this area is fierce. But your talent is your advantage.
Find your style and do not deviate from the path!
Bologny.ru website thanks you for your attention to the article! We will be very pleased if you share your feedback and tips in the comments below.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!