One of the most controversial questions when choosing children’s “gadgets” is the question of moms about the walker. As you know, there are both supporters and ardent opponents of walkers among parents and specialists. Read on: How to choose the right walker for your little one. How harmful or useful are they after all? What do the experts say? And what are the rules for their use?
The content of the article:
Whether walkers are harmful for children – the opinion of experts; walkers – pros and cons
Neither experts nor mothers can come to a consensus. For some, a walker is a way to teach a baby to walk, while others believe that, on the contrary, they can shift the moment when the child takes the first step. In the Soviet Union, this item was discontinued due to such consequences from the use of walkers as violation of muscle tone, fixing the wrong position of the feet, etc. And in Canada, at the end of the last century, not only the sale with production, but even the import of walkers were prohibited. with the motivation – “pose a danger to children.”
So what do pediatricians say about walkers?
Walkers are bad! Because:
- The kid begins to walk later: he is not able to maintain balance due to the feeling of constant support.
- There is a slowdown in the development of mobility skills (standing, crawling, etc.).
- The gait significantly deteriorates – it becomes springy.
- There is a risk of injury.
- Muscle tone is impaired, and the perineum is compressed.
- Freedom of movement is limited.
- There is disorientation in space.
Walkers are helpful! Because:
- Coordination develops.
- The child learns to walk.
- It is easier for a child to explore the world around him.
- The muscles of the back and legs are strengthened.
- Provide stress on muscles, increase appetite, promote sound sleep.
- Free the child’s hands to play.
- They bring joy to the baby and free time for mom.
The opinions are completely opposite, and conclusions are made by each mother independently… But the decision must be made in accordance with the health of the child and the opinion of his doctor… To buy a walker just so that the child does not interfere is, of course, wrong. But if you nevertheless decided on them, then do not forget about product certification, contraindications and safety rules.
To parents’ attention: when a walker is contraindicated for a child
Experts do not recommend using a walker when:
- Inability to sit and keep your back straight.
- The presence of inflammatory processes on areas of skin in contact with the walker.
- Signs of rickets.
- Presence of hypo-hypertonicity of the legs.
- Disorders in the musculoskeletal system.
- Unwillingness (fear, discomfort, etc.) of the baby.
Baby walkers – at what age can a child be put in them?
When asked about the age from which it is already possible to put a baby in a walker, experts answer – no earlier than the baby turns six months old… It is from 6 months that the child will already be able to hold his back on his own and sit confidently. True, we must not forget that being in a walker for a baby is a load that follows dose according to developmental level, contraindications, walker instructions and age…
How long can you use a baby walker by time – pediatrician advice
You can acquaint a baby with a walker from six months. What do you need to remember? The time spent in the walker is increased gradually. You need to start from 3 minutes, and maximum 2 times for the whole day. Further, the time of use is increased by adding a couple of minutes a day. Maximum time spent in the walker – 40 minutes… Anything beyond that can lead to serious problems in the future.
Safety precautions when using baby walkers – recommendations of orthopedists and pediatricians
- To avoid flat feet, be sure to the baby’s feet were firmly on the floor…
- Adjust walker height and put on the crumb solid-soled shoes…
- Watch the kid did not play near stairs or other dangerous places… Even if there are sills, do not rely on them too much.
- Do not leave your baby alone in the walker.
- Check with your doctor before purchasing a walker…
And, of course, do not forget that the child, while in the walker, can reach dangerous objects. Be careful. And remember that no matter how comfortable the walker is, they will not replace mom’s attention…
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!