The first bath of a baby is always an exciting event. Especially when this baby is the first. And young parents, of course, have a lot of questions about the bathing process – to what temperature the water should be heated, how to bathe the baby for the first time, what to bathe in, how long, etc. Read also the rules for bathing a child up to one year old. So what you need to know about your baby’s first bath?
The content of the article:
How to start the first bathing of a newborn: preparing a room, baths for bathing a child
First of all, to make bathing enjoyable for you and your baby, prepare yourself emotionally. That is, do not worry, do not be afraid and do not gather too many relatives around the bath. Cope with bathing quite possible alone, and even if you are alone with your husband – even more so.
Video: The first bath of a newborn baby
- To start preparing a regular or bathroom (many bathe newborns in the kitchen).
- We heat the air in room.
- Installing the bath (if in the room – then on the table).
- If the bathroom floors are slippery, then don’t forget about the rubber mat…
- We put the chair (it is very difficult to hold the baby, bending over the bathtub).
- If you decide to bathe your baby in a large shared bath, then it is unacceptable to use chemicals to clean it. It is imperative pour boiling water over it (this also applies to a small bath, for the purpose of disinfection).
- For the first bath, it is better to use boiled water. (until the umbilical wound has healed). You can soften it, for example, with the infusion of a series, per bath – 1 glass (potassium permanganate is not recommended for the first bath).
- If you have doubts about the quality of your tap water, then pre-install the filter on the tap…
- So that the baby does not slip into the tub, put a thick diaper on the bottom or a towel.
The best time and most comfortable water temperature for bathing a child
Usually, time for bathing choose evening. But there are babies who fall asleep for a very long time after bathing, and they sleep very anxiously, due to the stimulating effect of water procedures. If this is exactly your case, it is quite possible to atone for it in the afternoon, or even in the morning. The main thing is not to bathe the baby on a full and empty stomach. After feeding, time should pass – at least an hour (and no more than an hour and a half). Concerning water temperature, remember the following:
- The norm of water temperature is individual for each. But for the first bath, it is advisable to bring it to 36.6 degrees…
- The water should not be hot or cool. In the absence of a thermometer (which is better to stock up before giving birth), you can lower your elbow into the water – and already according to your feelings, decide whether the water is normal or hot.
How to determine if the water is right for the baby?
- If the baby is hot in the water, then he will express his protest by crying loudly, his skin will turn red, lethargy will appear.
- If it’s cold – the child usually shrinks, begins to tremble, and the nasolabial triangle turns blue.
Let’s start the sacrament: the first bath of a newborn baby
A few years ago, pediatricians advised to bathe the baby on the day of discharge from the maternity hospital, preparing boiled water with a solution of potassium permanganate for bathing, in order to avoid infection of the unhealed umbilical wound. Today, many children’s doctors say that the first bathing of a newborn child at home should take place only after complete healing of the umbilical wound… Since this question is very controversial, in each case it is necessary to consult a pediatricianwhen exactly to bathe the newborn, receiving and performing only professional recommendations… It is also worth remembering that the baby should not be bathed if the child is vaccinated with BCG on the same day (at least a day should pass after it).
How to bathe your baby correctly?
- You should undress your child in a warm room.to be immersed in water immediately. Carrying him naked from the room to the bath is wrong. Accordingly, you need to undress him right in the bathroom on the changing table, or bathe in a pre-heated room if you do not put a table in the bathroom.
- Undressing the crumb, wrap it in a thin cotton diaper – otherwise he may be afraid of new sensations.
- Put the baby in the water (only calmly and gradually) and open the diaper in the water.
- It is not necessary to wash the child with a washcloth and soap for the first time. It is enough to wash with a soft sponge or palm… And be careful with the umbilical wound.
- Special attention give the folds on the baby’s body, armpits and genitals (the newborn is washed from top to bottom).
- You need to hold the baby in such a way that the back of your head was above your wrist…
- The head is washed last. (from the face to the back of the head) so that the baby does not freeze, carefully bypassing the eyes and ears. Scabs on the head (milk crust) cannot be removed with force (picking out, etc.) – this will take time, a soft comb and more than one bathing, otherwise you risk infecting an open wound.
- The first bath usually takes from 5 to 10 minutes…
- After bathing, the baby should rinse out of a jug…
Further take the baby out of the water and quickly wrap on the changing table in a terry towel.
Video: The first bath of a newborn
Caring for Newborn Skin after Baby’s First Bath – Important Tips for Parents
After the first bath you should do the following:
- Wipe the baby dry getting all the wrinkles wet…
- Wipe your eyes sterile cotton pads.
- Clean the ears with cotton swabs (visible part) and spout…
- If the baby’s skin is dry, then you can use special baby oil…
- Diaper rash, if any, is treated with powder…
- Powder cream should not be applied to one area of the skin. Cream – for dry skin, powder – for wet areas (diaper rash).
- You can refuse from children’s cosmeticsif the baby’s skin is healthy.
- Brush the baby’s head with a soft brush, gently combing out the crusts on the skin. They come off more easily if you lubricate the scalp before bathing. baby oil…
Now you can crumbs dress and swaddle…
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!