The most unreliable birth control methods that will let you down
Most of the modern methods of preventing unwanted pregnancies do not give one hundred percent guarantee, especially traditional methods of contraception – more than a third of women become pregnant using one method or another.
What methods of contraception are not only unreliable and ineffective, but even dangerous? Gynecologists talk.
The content of the article:
Important! COLADY magazine warns – specialist advice is required.
Dangerous and UNRELIABLE methods of contraception – comments obstetrician-gynecologist Marina Vladislavovna Lisyanskaya
The reliability of contraception is assessed by the Pearl Index or the failure rate. It is equal to the number of unplanned pregnancies per year in 100 women using a particular method of contraception. The higher the index, the less reliable the method of protection.
One of the longest used and at the same time unreliable methods is the use of spermicides. These are substances that destroy sperm. Pearl’s index is 18 – 24 pregnancies per 100 women per year. However, now we already understand that if a woman does not become pregnant using this method, then the reason lies in something else, and not at all in its effectiveness.
The next very common and completely unreliable method is interrupted intercourse, according to the Pearl index, it is comparable to spermicides. In principle, we cannot recommend it as a method of contraception. In addition, when we talk about contraception, we also mean protection against sexually transmitted infections. Coitus interruptus is, in every sense, a dangerous method for your health. Yes, it may be an option for a married couple who is not opposed to pregnancy if it happens, but in other cases this method should not be used.
Another leader in terms of unreliability is the so-called calendar method. Its index is from 9 to 40, which is a lot. And again, in most cases, if pregnancy does not occur, it is not because the technique has worked. Moreover, the method will not protect against infections.
Let’s move on to barrier methods of contraception, which were just invented as a means of protecting against infections. So, in the 16th century in Europe, with the help of bags from animal intestines – these were the first condoms – they were saved from the syphilis epidemic. Later, they guessed that in this way you can protect yourself from unwanted pregnancy. However, according to the Pearl Index, the condom is rated 2-18.
To outdated and unreliable methods, we include caps, diaphragms, which a woman puts on her cervix herself, thus creating a barrier. An intrauterine device is a more reliable method in terms of protection, but does not protect against STDs.
I will talk about emergency contraception. Unfortunately, it is still used on a regular basis, and this is very dangerous for health: hormonal disruption occurs, the work of the ovaries is disrupted.
The most reliable and modern way of preventing unwanted pregnancy is hormonal contraception. The drug, correctly selected by the doctor, taking into account your health condition, lifestyle, plans for the future, will be absolutely safe. However, we remember about protecting against infections.
Calendar method of contraception – does it make sense?
The method is based on calculating safe days. How to define these safe days? Sperm viability is about three days, while fertilization of the egg occurs within two days after ovulation. Thus, two days should be added to the day of ovulation (in both directions): for a cycle of thirty days this will be the fifteenth day, for a cycle of twenty-eight days – the thirteenth. It is believed that it is on these days that there is a risk of getting pregnant, on the rest, you can “not worry”.
The main disadvantage is that the method only good for a perfect cycle… But are there many women who can boast of such? Indeed, many factors affect the time of ovulation:
- Chronic diseases
- Other factors
Not to mention the fact that there are women who become pregnant in a seemingly safe period. Therefore, before using this method, you need at least study your cycle for a whole year… According to statistics, every fourth woman becomes pregnant after using the calendar method.
Temperature method of contraception
The basis of the temperature method of contraception
A woman’s temperature (measured rectally) changes in accordance with the stage of egg maturation: below 37 degrees – before ovulation, above 37 – after… Safe days are defined as follows: the temperature is measured every morning for six months to a year (right in bed, at least five to ten minutes). Further, the results obtained are compared, the day of ovulation is identified, and the period dangerous for pregnancy is calculated. It usually starts on the 4th day before ovulation and ends four days after.
Just like the calendar method, this method applicable only under the condition of an ideal menstrual cycle… Moreover, it is quite complex in its calculations.
Interrupted intercourse – can you practice?
Method basis known to all – interruption of intercourse before ejaculation.
Disadvantage of the method:
The unreliability of this method takes place even with the complete self-control of the man. Why? A separate amount of sperm can be released from the very beginning of intercourse… Moreover, it remains unnoticed for both partners.
Also, the low efficiency of the method can be explained by the presence of sperm in the urethra, preserved from the last ejaculation. Out of a hundred women using this method, thirty become pregnant.
Douching after sex – is it effective?
Method basis – douching the vagina with potassium permanganate, own urine, herbal decoctions and other liquids.
Disadvantage of the method:
This method is dangerous not only with pregnancy, which you did not plan at all, but also with such consequences as:
- Violation of the microflora of the vagina.
- Getting an infection into the vagina.
- Cervical erosion.
There was no evidence of the effectiveness of the douching method, and there is no. It does not protect against pregnancy.
Spermicidal lubricants for unwanted pregnancies
Method basis – use of creams, suppositories, jellies and foams with spermicides. These funds have a double effect:
- The filler creates a mechanical boundary.
- A special component eliminates sperm cells.
Out of a hundred percent of women who use spermicides, one in three becomes pregnant. That is, the method is not 100% effective. The following disadvantages of the method should also be noted:
- Certain types of spermicides lose their effectiveness with regular use due to the addiction of the organisms of both partners to them.
- Spermicides are considered dangerous due to their nonoxynol-9 content, which causes skin destruction. And cracks in the genitals are a direct route for infection.
- Violation of the instructions for the use of spermicides multiplies the risk of pregnancy.
Method basis – regular reception hormonal drugs (tablets). Usually, out of a hundred percent of women who practice this method of protection against pregnancy, five percent become pregnant.
Disadvantage of the method:
- Poor memory often becomes the cause of pregnancy: I forgot to take a pill, and the concentration in the body of a substance necessary for protection decreases. And by the way, you need to drink them constantly and for a very long time.
- Also, one cannot fail to note the main disadvantage of such tablets. Namely, the consequences for the body, even if these are fourth-generation hormones. Possible consequences are metabolic disorders, weight gain, and the development of female infertility.
- In parallel with hormonal contraceptive pills, it is categorically contraindicated to take alcohol.
- Many drugs reduce or even completely eliminate the effectiveness of this protection against pregnancy.
- This method of contraception does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
Our people have always been cunning at inventions, as a result of which, since ancient times, many of their own “home” methods of contraception have appeared among the people, which, of course, are absolutely useless.
Dangerous and unreliable traditional methods of contraception
- A tampon in the vagina during intercourse. It is ineffective and dangerous: a violation of the vaginal microflora, the risk of injury, and there is no need to talk about dubious pleasure for both partners. As for the effect, a tampon will not protect against pregnancy.
- Lactation. It is believed that it is impossible to get pregnant during this period. Of course, given that the menstrual cycle after childbirth does not improve immediately, the risk of getting pregnant is reduced, but it is certainly not excluded. And guessing whether your reproductive system is already awake is impossible. Many nursing mothers, naively believing that they are “protected by lactation”, became pregnant within a couple of months after giving birth. Therefore, it is imprudent to hope that you will be carried over.
- Gynecological diseases. This is another mythical “protection” against pregnancy. In fact, only one female disease eliminates the risk of becoming pregnant – infertility.
- Vaginal shower. Another tale that the strong pressure of water, which rinses the vagina after intercourse, is able to “wash away” the sperm. Don’t believe it. While you were running from bed to bathroom, sperm cells could already “jump” to the cherished egg.
- Lemon inside. The myth that the creation of an acidic environment in the vagina leads to the death of sperm. What naive women do not use – and peel-slices of lemon, and citric acid in powder, and boric acid, and even ascorbic acid! The only effect of this procedure is an internal burn of the mucous membrane in case of an acid overdose.
- Decoctions of herbs. “And my grandmother (girlfriend …) advised me …”. This popular method is not even worth commenting on. Can you imagine how much you need to drink this (any) broth, and what concentration it should be in order to “drown” all the sperm in it? This also includes the infusion of bay leaves after sex and beet juice – gastronomic, but useless.
- A remnant of laundry soap inserted into the vagina. Likewise. No effect, except for the violation of microflora, bacterial vaginosis and other “joys”.
- Douching. As a rule, young inventors use this method, using Pepsi-Cola, urine, potassium permanganate, etc. as a protective agent. The use of Pepsi-Cola (which, by the way, can be descaled from a teapot) leads to vaginal diseases. It is a very potent chemical that does not prevent pregnancy. No contraceptive properties in urine. But there is an opportunity to bring an infection along with urine. As for potassium permanganate, its contraceptive effect is so small that such douching will not help from pregnancy. And a strong concentration of potassium permanganate will cause a very serious burn of the mucous membrane.
- An aspirin tablet inserted into the vagina after sex. Extremely low efficiency of the method. Equivalent to the potassium permanganate method.
- Jump after sex. You can just as well have a cup of coffee after sex and smoke. Sperm are not dice and cannot be shaken out of the vagina. And the speed of their movement, by the way, is three millimeters per minute.
- Steam the legs in mustard. An absolutely pointless procedure. And it’s hard to imagine how a girl, after an act of love, rushes after a basin to steam her legs.
- Rubbing the head of the penis with cologne before intercourse. Ineffective. In addition, one should remember about those “unforgettable” sensations that await a man after this procedure.
- “You won’t get pregnant during your period!” Absolutely not true. No, for many women, menstruation is, indeed, a period in which it is impossible to become pregnant. But there are so many exceptions that it is at least unreasonable to consider menstruation as protection. Moreover, taking into account the fact that the survival rate of sperm in the uterine mucosa is up to three days. These “tailed” are very, very tenacious.
In such a matter as protection against unwanted pregnancy, you should not trust dubious folk methods.
We do not live in ancient times, and today every woman has the opportunity go for a consultation with a specialist and choose the ideal contraception option for yourself…
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!