At 41 weeks of gestation, the fetus, in accordance with the norm, already reaches a weight of more than three kilograms, and exceeds 50 centimeters in height, and all its systems and organs have already reached the required stage of development. Of course, the baby continues to develop in the womb, getting stronger and gaining extra weight. His nails and hair also continue to grow. Therefore, you should not be surprised at the appearance of a baby with long nails and an already existing hilarious hairstyle.
What does this term mean?
This means that you are in the 41st obstetric week, which is 39 weeks from conception of the baby, and 37 weeks from the delay of the last menstruation.
The content of the article:
Feelings in the mother
Feelings of women this week are similar to the smallest detail. You no longer need to fear that childbirth will come suddenly and prematurely. The bag with things for the baby has long been collected and stands almost at the very doors, in case of sudden contractions. All relatives were given the necessary instructions. Rehearsals of different massage and breathing variations during childbirth have already been done many times.
The physical sensations of expectant mothers at 41 weeks also practically do not differ:
- Due to the large size of the uterus, the bowel loops are displaced upward, which leads to abdominal discomfort, constipation and flatulence;
- The outflow of bile is impaired due to the displaced gallbladder by the uterus, which leads to a feeling of heaviness in the right hypochondrium;
- The cause of discomfort is also the movement of the baby, who periodically kicks the mother in the stomach or liver. Painful and intense movements of the child, who is already cramped in the abdomen, lead to mother’s insomnia;
- Due to natural changes in the ligaments of the expectant mother, in particular in the ligaments of the pubic articulation, pains appear in the lower abdomen, aggravated by walking or pressing on the bosom;
- The skin of a pregnant woman’s abdomen is also subject to changes – it becomes drier, stretches, and there is a risk of inflammation.
Reviews from forums about wellness in the 41st week:
I already have forty-first week. The kid is active, but he is in no hurry to visit us. Tired to the point of impossibility both morally and physically, everything that is possible hurts. Friends tortured, relatives too, everyone is trying to shake me off in the hospital as soon as possible. I’m just turning off the phone.
We also went 41! The uterus has been toned for three days already. The pelvic bones ache – Mom, do not grieve. Tired. My friend and I have the same terms, but she has already given birth. It’s a shame!
Hold on Mommy! The main thing is positive! I have 41 weeks, I feel great. I even run as before. I don’t want to stimulate childbirth, I decided to wait for the first son at home.
Eh, and my 42 week will soon go. A week ago, the cork came off, everything hurts, and the little girl is in no hurry to get out. Tomorrow they will be put in the hospital. For stimulation. Although I really don’t want to …
This waiting is driving us crazy! Either the stomach pulls, then the back will grab, and the cork seems to be moving away … I’m still waiting, waiting, but the baby is in no hurry to come to us … And already 41 weeks!
We also have 41st. We are terribly worried about the little one. Yesterday, I thought, we’ll leave for the hospital, and today there’s silence again – I was scared, you see, and calmed down.
What happens in the mother’s body?
The woman’s body is already ready for childbirth, which are usually indicated by three main signs:
- Bloody discharge, the appearance of which may indicate the expulsion of the mucous plug covering the cervix;
- Discharge of amniotic fluid (rupture of the bladder membrane) in a large flow or gradually;
- Contractions (tension of the muscles of the uterus). This symptom is the most painful, talking about the beginning of the process of childbirth.
Fetal development at 41 weeks of intrauterine life, height and weight
These days, the mother passes on a huge amount of antibodies to the child so that in the future he will be able to resist various infections.
- Organ development: The baby’s cardiovascular system, kidneys, liver and pancreas are working perfectly;
- Growth reaches from 50 to 52 centimeters;
- Weight fluctuates between 3000 – 3500 grams. Although it is not excluded the birth of a hero with a more impressive weight, which is often found in our time;
- Baby lungs at 41 weeks, they accumulated a sufficient amount of surfactant (a mixture of surfactants), which protects the baby’s alveoli from sticking together on the first exhalation in his life;
- Body shape. After birth, the shape of this baby will be more rounded than that of a child who was born earlier. The fluff on his body and wrinkled appearance will quickly disappear, the hair on the back of his head will lengthen, and the cartilage on his ears will become denser. The cry of such a toddler will also be louder;
- 41 weeks means that the body already lives fully formed personready to be born;
- Life system baby already developed to the required state, and the cheese-like lubricant remains only in areas that especially need protection – in the armpits and groin;
- Immune experience women at 41 weeks are already transmitted to the baby: more and more necessary molecules from the mother penetrate to the child, as the placenta ages;
- There is a simultaneous transfer of its immune resources to the child and protection toddler from potential ailments from the outside world;
- For the most part, children at this time have correct development and growth… But the aging placenta, of course, no longer allows the baby to receive oxygen and nutrients in the amount necessary for him;
- Decreases and amniotic fluid productionthat is undesirable for the child;
- Baby’s lower intestine accumulates meconium (the original feces of the newborn and the fetus), pushed out practically immediately after the birth of the child;
- The presence of meconium in the amniotic fluid can be one of the signs of fetal asphyxia… Amniotic fluid mixed with meconium is usually greenish in color.
Is this term the norm?
Fatigue from the past months of pregnancy and anxiety about future childbirth, of course, affect the condition and mood of a woman. Questions from numerous friends and family on the topic “Well, how are you? Has not yet given birth?” meet with hostility and cause irritation. The feeling that this pregnancy will never end, and the desire to “take off”, to become light and airy, and not to waddle around with a huge belly, haunts.
But the most difficult test is anxiety about the possible consequences of a post-term pregnancy.
First of all, don’t panic. For doctors, a 41-week pregnancy is not considered post-term.
Post-term or prolonged?
After all, PDD, in essence, is only the estimated date of birth, which is taken into account based on the last day of menstruation. Indicators of the exact date depend on many factors. Among them are such as:
- Cycle length;
- Egg fertilization time;
- The exact date of release of the egg from the ovary;
- And much more;
- If a woman’s age is more than 30 years old, and the pregnancy is the first, then the possibility of carrying a child for more than 40 weeks increases.
Also, factors affecting the increase in terms are:
- features of the female immune system;
- endocrine diseases;
- reproductive diseases preceding pregnancy.
It is not always possible to accurately determine the reason for such a long stay of the baby inside the woman. Do not exclude the possibility that the child is simply comfortable inside the mother, and he is in no hurry to see the light.
41 weeks – when is the birth?
At 41 weeks, the baby no longer has enough space in her mother’s belly – he feels discomfort from the stiffness of his movements. Despite the fact that there is practically no room for the baby in the tummy, he still continues to move. Therefore, of course, you should carefully listen to his movements.
- Feel that the baby froze – it means the birth is very soon. In the case when there are no signals about close childbirth, and you have not felt the baby’s movements for a long time, you should urgently inform your doctor about this;
- The danger of childbirth for a woman in the long term due to the impressive size of the fetus and the hardening of its bones, in particular – the cranial, which entails ruptures of the birth canal and the accompanying troubles.
Ultrasound at 41 weeks of gestation
The doctor’s appointment is distinguished by monitoring the correctness of the PDR, clarifying the start date of your last menstruation and the number of days of the cycle, as well as examining the results of an ultrasound scan.
- Determination of the amount of amniotic fluid by the doctor;
- Establishing the exact size of the fetus;
- Examination – does not block the exit from the uterus with the placenta, and whether the baby’s head corresponds to the size of the birth canal;
- Doppler study helps to assess the effectiveness of placental blood flow;
- Research to rule out abnormalities such as aging of the placenta and deterioration of placental blood flow.
Good examination results will allow the mother to calmly wait for the independent onset of labor, without resorting to additional measures of influence. Decreased blood flow in the placenta indicates a shortage of oxygen received by the baby. In this case, the doctor may suggest stimulation of labor or a cesarean section.
Photo of the fetus, photo of the abdomen, ultrasound and video about the development of the child
Video: What Happens in Week 41?
Long wait, wonderful transformations of the female body and a long-awaited miracle.
Recommendations and advice for the expectant mother
- For the tranquility of the expectant mother, she should be attentive to the advice of the doctor and follow all his instructions;
- The toddler is actively kicking at this time and is in a hurry to leave the mother’s tummy – therefore, you should not be nervous because of his increased movements;
- Mom, first of all, needs to follow the daily regimen and nutrition prescribed by the doctor;
- With the help of doctors in the maternity hospital or on your own, you need to stimulate labor. Various methods can be used to help “nature”. The main thing to remember is the utmost accuracy.
Ways of self-stimulation of labor:
- Labor is caused by emptying the intestines, which promotes the release of prostaglandins that softens the uterus.
- Alternatively, you can use the acupuncture method to massage a specific point on the inner ankle joint.
- Also, one should not refuse such pleasure as sex.
- According to doctors, all these methods bring the long-awaited moment of the birth of a baby closer, but, undoubtedly, caution in this matter will not hurt.
Basic recommendations for the expectant mother:
- Proper nutrition, supported by vitamins;
- Regular walks in the fresh air, preferably outside the city limits;
- Timely visit to your doctor;
- Refusal from heavy or nervous work;
- A special massage prescribed by a doctor that relieves pain, stress and fatigue;
- Follow the doctor’s advice, eliminate annoying factors and enjoy life – after all, very soon the voice of the long-awaited baby will ring in your house.
Previous: Week 40
Next: Week 42
Choose any other in the pregnancy calendar.
Calculate the exact due date in our service.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!