Or figure skating? Or karate? Or is it all the same for chess (safely and calmly)? Where to give your child? These questions are asked by every parent when choosing a sport for their strengthened active baby. Moreover, they usually choose, guided by their own preferences and the proximity of the section to the house.
How to choose the right sport for your child?
Your attention is our instruction!
The content of the article:
The best age for a child to start playing sports – when to send a child to sports?
The very first question that arises from moms and dads who are concerned about finding a sports section for a child is at what age to give?
Experts advise taking the first steps in sports more in preschool age… True, there are nuances: not every section takes babies.
To prepare a child for a big sport, it is recommended to start learning from the cradle. For example, to equip a reliable sports corner at home, where the kid can master the basic sports equipment, forget about fears and feel the pleasure of the activities themselves.
- 2-3 years. During this period, it is useful to start systematic physical education. Right now, when children are hyperactive, but get tired quickly, workouts should be carried out daily, but no more than 5-10 minutes. For each workout, allocate 4-5 simple exercises (like springs, jumping-bounces, claps, etc.).
- 4-5 years old. At this age, the body type of the baby is already formed (as well as his character), and talents and abilities are actively waking up. It’s time to look for a sport in which the child can find himself and develop coordination. You can give it to tennis, gymnastics or acrobatics, figure skating or jumping.
- 5 years. You can already try yourself in ballet, tennis, hockey.
- 6-7 years old. The age period in which flexibility develops very successfully (approx. – after a year, the mobility of the joints will be reduced by a quarter). Sports to choose from: martial arts, gymnastics, swimming and football.
- 8-11 years old. The very age for the development of speed. Choose cycling, fencing or rowing.
- After 11 years. Emphasis on endurance, complex movements. Ball games (from football to volleyball), boxing and shooting, and athletics are suitable. Do not forget about equestrian sport – all ages are submissive to it.
- After 12-13 years old. Age to develop strength.
And how old is it already possible?
Everything is individual! The earliest age for sports depends on the characteristics of the baby’s body. Someone starts alpine skiing at the age of 3, while someone is physically not ready for most sports by the age of 9.
Of course, flexibility must be maintained at a very young age, otherwise it will “go away” with him. But as for endurance, it, in general, develops gradually – from 12 years to 25.
Only parents decide whether to give their 3-year-old baby to sports (there are also “early” sports), but it should be remembered that only by the age of 5 the formation of the musculoskeletal system ends in the baby, and excess physical exertion can backfire on a fragile body by improper muscle development, as well as curvature of the spine. Up to 5 years old, light gymnastics, active walks and a pool are enough for a baby.
Where and at what age are children taken?
- For figure skating and gymnastics – from 5-6 years old.
- Wushu and tennis, acrobatics and sports dances, swimming, darts and checkers with chess – from 7 years old.
- Golf, basketball and football, as well as skiing and badminton – from 8 years old.
- Speed skating and athletics, ball games, sailing and biathlon, rugby – from 9 years old.
- Kickboxing and cycling, boxing and billiards, kettlebell lifting and bullet shooting, fencing and rock climbing, judo and pentathlon – from 10 years old.
- For clay pigeon shooting, as well as archery – from 11 years old.
- Bobsleigh – only from the age of 12.
When and in what sport should the child be sent to have the opportunity of a sports career?
Choosing a sport according to the physique of the child
It is impossible not to take into account the physique of the child when choosing a sports section for him.
For example, high growth very much appreciated in basketball and out of place in gymnastics. And if there is overweight problems you should choose the sport even more carefully so as not to completely disgust your child with training and lower self-esteem. In particular, one should not expect high results in overweight football, but a child will be quite comfortable in hockey or judo.
To determine the type of figure, you can use the Stefko and Ostrovsky scheme used in medical practice:
- Asthenoid type. The main signs: thinness and long thin legs, poor muscle development, a narrow chest, often a stooped back and protruding shoulder blades. Many children feel very awkward and uncomfortable, so the choice of a sport should take into account the search for a psychologically comfortable team and section. The best options for children are sports aimed at developing strength, endurance and, of course, speed. For example, jumping, rowing, skiing and cycling, throwing, golf and fencing, sports swimming, basketball, rhythmic gymnastics.
- Thoracic type. The main features: the average level of development of muscle mass, equal width at the pelvis and shoulders, a fairly wide chest. These kids are extremely active, and the type of sport should be chosen, focusing on the development of endurance and speed. For example, racing, rowing and biathlon, swimming and football, water slalom and capoeira, acrobatics and kiting, ballet and figure skating, jumping and downhill kayaking.
- Muscular type. Main features: well-developed muscle mass, a very massive skeleton. For strong and hardy children, it is recommended to choose those sports that are aimed at developing, first of all, speed. Also, strength sports will not be superfluous. Your choice: mountaineering, weightlifting and powerlifting, martial arts and fencing, water polo and hockey, workout tennis, capoeira, football.
- Digestive type. Main features: short stature, pronounced “belly”, excess fat mass, wide chest. This type is characteristic of slow and inactive kids. In order not to discourage your child’s desire for sports, the desire for sports, take a look at weightlifting and martial arts, athletic gymnastics, hockey and throwing, motor sports and shooting, WorkOut.
Sport and temperament of a child – how to choose the best sports section for him?
And where without him, without character! All victories and defeats in the future will depend on him.
Hyperactive babies in activities that require concentration and frequent repetitions of the exercise, it will be difficult. It is better to choose one of the team games for them, where they can release their raging energy.
- Sanguine people are leaders by nature. They easily overcome fear, and even extreme sports are not alien to them. These guys are most comfortable in those sports where they need to regularly prove their personal superiority. You should pay attention to alpine skiing and karate, hang gliding, kayaking, fencing and mountaineering.
- Choleric people better go to team sports – they, unlike previous children, are quite capable of sharing victory. Given the increased emotionality, it makes sense to assign such kids to boxing and wrestling.
- Phlegmatic people, oddly enough, achieve the greatest heights in sports. This is due to the fact that they calmly, calmly and hard work until they achieve the desired result. Athletics, gymnastics, figure skating, chess are recommended for such children.
- But with a choice for melancholic people will have to work hard. Children are extremely vulnerable, and a coach’s strictness can seriously knock the ground out from under their feet. To help such children – equestrian sports and team games, sailing, as well as dancing, shooting sports.
How to choose the best sport for a child for his health – advice from pediatricians
After you have comprehensively studied the criteria for choosing a sport for your child, analyzed his mental and physical abilities, take the child to the pediatrician. Because a physical exam can reveal things that you weren’t aware of.
In addition, the doctor will be able to identify contraindications and determine the level of stresswhat are acceptable for your child.
And, of course, recommend one or another sport that suits him best:
- Volleyball, basketball and football. It is better to forget about these sports with myopia, asthma and flat feet. On the other hand, they will become assistants in strengthening the musculoskeletal system.
- Rhythmic gymnastics. It will help to form the correct posture and will become the 1st help for flat feet.
- If you have trouble breathing, welcome to wushu.
- Swimming – the best option for everyone. There are a lot of advantages of this sport! From the formation of correct posture to the prevention of flat feet and strengthening the nervous system.
- Hockey helps with problems of the respiratory system, but is prohibited in the presence of chronic diseases.
- With a weak vestibular apparatus – alpine skiing and martial arts… As well as figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics…
- Strengthen the nervous system will help kids yoga, swimming and horse riding…
- Tennis… A sport that improves fine motor skills and the formation of mindfulness. But prohibited for myopia and peptic ulcer disease.
- Horseback riding helps to reduce convulsive readiness and even sugar levels in diabetics, as well as normalize the digestive tract.
- Athletics, speed skating and diving contribute to the development of the respiratory system and the strengthening of the heart.
- Figure skating is not recommended with diseases of the pleura and with a high degree of myopia.
Do not be afraid to experiment, but do not justify the failure of a child in sports by “circumstances.”
Failure is a lack of effort. The child should be able to draw conclusions and correct mistakes.
Support your child, regardless of sports success, and listen to his desires!
If you liked our article and you have any thoughts about this, please share with us. Your opinion is very important for us!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!