Child’s age – 13th week (twelve full), pregnancy – 15th obstetric week (fourteen full).
The fifteenth obstetric week corresponds to the thirteenth week of fetal development. So, you are in the fourth month – this means that all toxicosis is already behind.
The content of the article:
Feelings in the mother at 15 weeks
Week 15 is the most fertile time, since a woman is no longer tormented by such unpleasant phenomena as toxicosis, dizziness, drowsiness.
As a rule, women at 15 weeks feel a surge of strength and vigor, however:
- Mild nasal congestion (rhinitis) appears;
- Mild pains in the lower abdomen cause discomfort;
- Urination is normalized;
- The stool is relieved;
- There is a slight suffocation due to the pressure of the rapidly growing uterus on the diaphragm;
- Blood pressure decreases, and as a result, weakness and dizziness appear (if the pressure does not drop sharply, then the pregnant woman tolerates it easily, but if you notice a sharp drop in pressure, be sure to consult a doctor).
With regard to external changes, then:
- The chest continues to grow; nipples darken;
- The belly is already visible with the naked eye;
- Weight increases (weight gain by week 15 is 2.5 – 3 kg);
- Pigmentation appears on the skin (moles and freckles become more noticeable; the white line on the abdomen darkens);
However, the above applies to the average woman, but there are also deviations from the norm, what they give we will find out from expectant mothers:
I have 15 weeks, and such a lull. I already began to worry that the state of health was perfect (nonsense, but this is so). Vomiting is no longer nauseous, as I gained 2 kg in the first 9 weeks, so I no longer gain weight (although the doctor says that this is normal). Only one “but” – at work constantly tends to sleep, if not for this nuance and would have forgotten that she is pregnant!
I also have 15 weeks. I used to have mild toxicosis, but now I have forgotten about it. Feeling like in a fairy tale. Only it happens that you want to cry for no reason. Well, I’ll cry and then everything is fine again! And, it would seem, I would cry and go to the toilet less, but that was not the case – I often run, although by the 15th week the kidney function should already be normalized.
I constantly attack the refrigerator, and I want to eat day and night, I will probably eat my husband soon (just kidding, of course), although everything is stable on the scales. And she also began to notice that she became very forgetful. Hope it goes away soon.
I am probably the happiest expectant mother. The only sign of my pregnancy from the first days is a delay. Now I understand that I am pregnant because I have a tummy. I have not experienced any unpleasant sensations for 15 weeks. I hope this will continue!
I have 15 weeks, but no one notices any external signs, and they are not, I gained 2 kg, but my stomach is still not visible. The mood is excellent, I flutter like a butterfly, only recently my appetite has woken up just brutal!
15 weeks, and we are already moving! Especially when the husband strokes his tummy! I feel great, but very often I get angry and irritated for no reason. Already the employees get it. Well, not scary, soon on maternity leave!
What happens in the mother’s body?
At 15 weeks, the woman has a surge of strength, a second wind opens. The body of the expectant mother continues to adapt to new conditions and prepares for motherhood.
- The uterus enlarges and begins to stretch (now it still has a rounded shape);
- Colostrum begins to be secreted from the mammary glands;
- The blood volume increases by 20%, placing a great strain on the heart;
- The uteroplacental (i.e. between the uterus and the placenta) and feto-placental circulation (i.e. between the fetus and the placenta) function;
- The hCG level gradually decreases and, as a result, mood swings disappear;
- The formation of the placenta ends;
- The functional system “Mother-Placenta-Fetus” is being actively formed.
Fetal development at 15 weeks
- The fruit grows up to 14-16 cm; weight reaches 50-75 g;
- The skeleton continues to develop (the baby’s legs become longer than the arms);
- Thin marigolds are formed;
- The first hair appears; eyebrows and cilia appear;
- The auricles, which already resemble the ears of a newborn, continue to develop;
- The differentiation of the genitals ends (this week you can determine the sex of the crumbs if it turns the right side).
Formation and functioning of organs and systems:
- The cells of the pituitary gland begin to act – the endocrine glands, which are responsible for metabolic processes and the growth of the body;
- The cerebral cortex begins to form;
- The body begins to lead the central nervous system (central nervous system);
- The endocrine system begins to function actively;
- The sebaceous and sweat glands come into play;
- Bile is secreted from the gallbladder, which reaches the intestines (therefore, in the first days after birth, the baby’s feces are black and green);
- The kidneys take on the main function – the excretion of urine (the child empties the bladder directly into the amniotic fluid, which undergoes renewal up to 10 times a day);
- In boys, the hormone testosterone begins to be produced (in girls, hormones are produced a little later);
- The fetal heart pumps up to 23 liters of blood per day and provides blood supply to the entire body (during this period, it is possible to determine the blood type and Rh factor of the future baby);
- The heart carries out up to 160 beats per minute;
- The red bone marrow takes responsibility for the function of hematopoiesis;
- The liver becomes the main digestive organ;
- Bones get stronger;
- The baby is able to hear the beating of his mother’s heart and voice, since at the moment the auditory system has already been formed.
Photo of the fetus, photo of mom’s belly, ultrasound and video
With an ultrasound scan at 15 weeks, future parents may notice how their child is actively moving his legs and arms.
The baby is about the size of a medium orange, and since the fruit is still small, you may not feel its movement (but very soon you will feel its jolts).
Your baby can already hear his mother’s heartbeat and voice. This becomes possible due to the fact that the ears of the fetus are already where they should be (you can see this using 3D ultrasound). The baby’s eyes also take their usual place. In the fetus, the first hairs are colored and the eyebrows and cilia become noticeable.
On ultrasound, you can notice how the baby sucks fingers and swallows amniotic fluid, and also makes spontaneous respiratory movements.
By the 15th week, the fruit is completely covered with languno (vellus hairs), which warms it and makes it very pretty. The heart of the paunch makes 140-160 beats per minute. At 15 weeks, you can already see the sex of the baby, if, of course, he will allow you to (turn to the right side).
Video: What happens at the 15th week of pregnancy?
Recommendations and advice for the expectant mother
Regardless of the fact that all ailments are behind you, you need to continue to monitor your well-being and health.
The following recommendations will help you cope with the main task – to give birth to a healthy baby:
- Nutrition should be correct and balanced. Your diet should include fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Pay special attention to proteins, since they are the building blocks for the baby’s body;
- Eat at least 200 grams of meat daily; include fish in your menu twice a week;
- Aim for 600 grams of raw vegetables and 300 grams of fruit every day. If this is not possible (winter season) – replace with prunes, raisins or dried apricots;
- Pay special attention to foods high in calcium. The kid requires a large amount of calcium for the bones, and if your body does not receive a sufficient amount of it, then this is reflected in the nails, hair and especially teeth;
- Always wear a bra to avoid the appearance of stretch marks (it is advisable to sleep in it);
- Don’t ignore new eating habits during pregnancy! New, and sometimes not entirely understandable, desires are signals from the body about the lack of something;
- Try not to get nervous or worry about trifles. Watch a comedy instead of a thriller, listen to calm music instead of rock, read an interesting book;
- Choose looser clothes that will not hinder your movements;
- Talk to your child more often, sing songs to him, turn on music for him – he is already able to hear you;
- Don’t ignore exercise to keep fit and prepare for childbirth;
- Take the correct body position while sleeping. Doctors – gynecologists recommend sleeping on your side, the lower leg in a fully extended position, and the upper leg bent at the knee. Special pillows are welcome to ensure maximum comfort;
- Take a triple blood test for hormone levels (hCG, AFP, free estriol) to judge your health and the correct development of the baby in the womb;
- A very good option for expectant mothers is to keep a diary in which you can enter the dates of the ultrasound scan and its results, the dates of the tests and their results, weekly record changes in weight, waist volume, as well as the date of the most exciting event – the first movement of the baby. Moreover, you can record your physical sensations. This will help the doctor in assessing your overall condition. And when the crumb is already growing up, you can return to that wonderful waiting time again and again!
Previous: Week 14
Next: Week 16
Choose any other in the pregnancy calendar.
Calculate the exact due date in our service.
How did you feel on the 15th week? Share with us!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!