What does this gestational age mean?
There is very little left before the baby is born. This is the third trimester, and the process of complete preparation for the upcoming birth. The child’s movements are no longer so active, because the uterus is now quite cramped, but even they are palpable for the mother and sometimes very painful. By 36 weeks it’s time to choose a maternity hospital where the long-awaited baby will be born, as well as collect everything he needs. And, of course, it is already known what kind of delivery to expect – natural or cesarean section.
The content of the article:
Feelings of a mother
- At the 36th week, the baby already takes up a lot of space in the stomach and sinks closer to the exit. In this connection, the pressure on the perineum increases, and the urge to urinate becomes more frequent;
- The urge to defecate also becomes more frequent – the uterus presses on the intestines;
- The attacks of heartburn are weakened, it becomes easier to breathe, the pressure on the chest and stomach decreases;
- At this time, an increase in the frequency of Brexton-Hicks contractions is possible. With contractions, once every five minutes and each contraction is a minute long, doctors advise to go to the hospital;
- The new position and weight of the child, increasing the displacement of the center of gravity, cause pain in the spine;
- The heaviness of the uterus and constant lack of sleep increase the feeling of fatigue.
Reviews from forums about wellness:
Week 36 has gone … I know that the longer I wear, the better for the baby, but I have no strength at all. The feeling that I go with a watermelon, twenty kilograms! Between the legs. I can’t sleep, I can’t walk, heartburn is terrible, sugar has risen – a pipe! Hurry to give birth …
Hooray! Week 36 has gone! I love children terribly. I will be the very best mom in the world! I can’t wait to see my little one. It’s all the same whether it’s a boy or a girl. If only he was born healthy. This is more precious than all the riches of the world.
Today the 36th went … Yesterday my stomach ached all evening, I must have walked fast. Or tired And today it hurts in the lower abdomen, then in the side. Does anyone know what this might be?
Girls, take your time! Get to the end! I gave birth at 36 weeks. On the verge was – pneumothorax. Saved. But they lay in the hospital for a month. ((Good luck to all moms!
And my lower back and lower abdomen pulls just constantly! Nonstop! And in pain, strong in the perineum ((This means childbirth soon? I have a second pregnancy, but the first time it was not like that. I was just worn out …
Hello mommies! )) We also went 36. It hurts to walk. And we sleep badly – at five in the morning I wake up, twisting my legs, even if I cut it off. And do not fall asleep later. We collected everything, only small things remained. They would be needed as soon as possible. Easy childbirth for everyone!
What happens in the mother’s body?
- At the 36th week, the baby’s movements become less active – he is gaining strength before childbirth;
- The weight gain of the expectant mother is already about 13 kg;
- The appearance of discharge from the birth canal is possible – a mucous plug that blocked the access of harmful microorganisms to the uterus during pregnancy (colorless or pinkish mucus);
- Hair growth is possible in unusual places under the influence of hormones (for example, on the abdomen). This will go away after childbirth;
- The cervix is shortened and softened;
- The number of amniotic fluid;
- Kid accepts longitudinal head position;
- Is happening increased pain in the pelvic area due to stretching of the bones.
Symptoms for which you should urgently see a doctor:
- Decrease in the activity of the baby;
- Continuous pain in the abdomen;
- Vaginal bleeding;
- Discharge reminiscent of amniotic fluid.
Fetal development, height and weight
The length of the baby is about 46-47 cm. Its weight is 2.4-2.8 kg (depending on external and hereditary factors), and is recruited daily from 14 to 28 grams. Head diameter – 87.7 mm; Tummy diameter – 94.8 mm; The diameter of the chest is 91.8 mm.
- The child takes on more well-nourished forms, rounding in the cheeks;
- There is a loss of hair that covered the baby’s body (lanugo);
- The layer of waxy substance covering the child’s body becomes thinner;
- The baby’s face becomes smoother. He is constantly busy sucking fingers or even legs – he trains the muscles responsible for the sucking movements;
- The child’s skull is still soft – the bones are not yet fused. Between them are narrow fontanelles (cracks), which are filled with connective tissue. Due to the flexibility of the skull, it will be easier for the baby to pass through the birth canal, which, in turn, will be protected from injury;
- The liver is already producing iron, which promotes hematopoiesis in the first year of life;
- The baby’s feet are lengthened, and the marigolds are already fully grown;
- To ensure the work of the relevant organs (in the case of premature birth), the cardiovascular and respiratory centers have already matured, as well as the circulatory systems, thermoregulation and nervous regulation of respiration;
- The lungs are ready to provide oxygen to the body, the content of the surfactant in them is sufficient;
- There is a continuation of the maturation of the child’s immune and endocrine systems;
- The heart is already fully formed, but oxygen is still being supplied to the baby from the umbilical cord. An opening remains open between the left and right side of the heart;
- The cartilage that forms the auricles has become denser
- Heart rate – 140 beats per minute, clear and clearly distinguishable tones
- The placenta is already beginning to fade, although it is still coping with all its functions;
- Its thickness is about 35.59 mm;
- The placenta pumps 600 ml of blood per minute.
Indications for caesarean section
Indications for caesarean section:
More and more babies are born by cesarean section (an operation that involves removing a baby into the world by cutting the abdominal wall and uterus). A planned caesarean section is carried out according to indications, an emergency – in cases of complications that threaten the health and life of the fetus or mother, in the course of normal childbirth.
Vaginal delivery is excluded with pathologies such as:
- A narrow pelvis, as well as injuries to the pelvic bones;
- Full placenta previa (its low position, covering the exit from the uterus);
- Tumors near the birth canal;
- Premature placental abruption;
- The transverse position of the fetus;
- The risk of rupture of the uterus or an old suture (postoperative);
- Other individual factors.
Photo of the fetus, photo of the abdomen, ultrasound and video about the development of the child
Video: What happens at the 36th week of pregnancy?
Preparing for childbirth: what should you take with you to the hospital? What should you consult with your doctor about?
Recommendations and advice for the expectant mother
- A gestation period of 36 weeks is the time to prepare for the birth of a baby.
- An expectant mother should consult a doctor about gymnastics, breathing and psychological mood;
- Also, this is the time for passing tests to determine the Rh factor and blood group (the same tests must be passed to the husband);
- It’s time to choose a maternity hospital – in accordance with your wishes or based on its location;
- It makes sense to read the relevant thematic literature in order to approach the upcoming childbirth, as to your work, and make a list of things necessary for the child. It is better to buy clothes for the baby in advance – do not pay attention to signs and prejudices;
- It is also worth purchasing various little things like a special nursing bra and other things that a nursing mother needs, so that after giving birth you do not run to pharmacies in search of them;
- To avoid varicose veins and swelling of the ankles, the expectant mother should keep her legs in a horizontal position and rest more often;
- The fetus is already very much pressing on the bladder, and you should consume less fluids so that you do not have the urge to urinate every half hour;
- For more comfort and reduce back pain, it is preferable to wear a special bandage, as well as regularly carry out a set of exercises (rotational movements of the pelvis);
- Heavy physical work at this time is contraindicated. It is worth refraining from having sex;
- Given the increased sensitivity and emotionality, it is better to refrain from watching horror films, melodramas and medical literature. The most important thing now is peace of mind. Anything that can lead to emotional stress should be excluded. Only rest, sleep, food, peace of mind and positive emotions;
- Traveling now is risky: if childbirth occurs prematurely, the doctor may not be around;
Both the baby’s condition and the process of childbirth depend on the mother’s nutrition at this time. Doctors recommend eliminating the following foods from the diet at this time:
- a fish
Preferred food items:
- porridge on the water
- dairy products
- baked vegetables
- plant food
- mineral water
- herbal teas
- fresh juices
You should carefully monitor the shelf life and composition of products, as well as the way they are stored and processed. In the spring, it is not recommended to buy greens and early vegetables in the markets – they are high in nitrates. Exotic fruits should not be overused either. Meals should be fractional and in small portions. Water – only purified (at least a liter per day). At night, it is better to drink fruit jelly or kefir, excluding all spicy, sour and fried, as well as baked goods.
Previous: Week 35
Next: Week 37
Choose any other in the pregnancy calendar.
Calculate the exact due date in our service.
How did you feel at the 36th week? Share with us!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!