What really can and cannot be eaten by a nursing mother after childbirth
Material checked by nutritionist Svetlana Titova – 11/26/2019
The best that a young mother can give her newborn baby is breast milk. And its quality (and hence the immunity and health of the baby) depends on the mother’s nutrition. Moreover, the expression “eat well” does not mean “everything, in large quantities and often”, but proper nutrition.
Read also: 9 things every nursing mom should have in her wardrobe.
What are its principles?
The content of the article:
General principles of nutrition for a nursing mother after childbirth
Of course, there is simply no ideal diet for a nursing mother – everything is individual in relation to each specific case (children’s and adult organisms, intestinal microflora and absorption of substances, the immune system, etc.). But the key to success will always be a varied diet, taking into account its usefulness and regime.
See also: 10 healthiest foods on the breastfeeding mom’s menu – what’s good for a nursing mother?
- Diversity of food, of course, does not mean changing the cuisine from Thai to Japanese. The table should be diversified with optimal amount of carbohydrates and proteins, fats and vitamins…
- Dairy and fermented milk products, herbs and fruits and vegetables – the main thing on your table.
- Leave fresh cow’s milk until better times. To avoid the risk of a serious allergic reaction to your baby, eat only cooked foods. If you are not sure about the quality of the product, walk by with confidence.
- Don’t forget about rough food (wholemeal bread), but we are not carried away either – your baby eats the same thing (after eating vinaigrette in the evening, do not hope for a good night).
- We exclude from the diet (boldly and confidently) spices and spices, excess salt, smoked meats…
- Before you gobble up another gourmet dream out of the fridge carefully read the composition of the product… So that later mom does not wander with a couple of “bags” under her eyes from fatigue, and the baby does not suffer from fermentation processes in the tummy because of mom’s impatience.
- Lots of liquid! This is a mandatory rule. Plus at least a liter per day to the usual amount. Not immediately after childbirth! While colostrum is being produced, large amounts of fluids should not be overused.
- The baby needs calcium! And mom, by the way, too (he is washed out of the body during feeding). As the main “supplier” of this element, do not forget about the regular use of yoghurts (natural), fatty fish, cheese and cottage cheese, almonds, broccoli.
- Watch the reaction of the crumbs to your food… If your heir has colic and bloating from your Greek salad, then it should be discarded. If the baby’s skin reacts to tomatoes with allergies, change them to other vegetables.
- Introduce all new products separately. To know for sure what exactly the toddler reacted to with the allergy.
What can not be eaten by a nursing mother during the entire period of breastfeeding?
The health of the baby is the main thing for the mother. For his sake, you can endure everything dietary restrictions, which, by the way, will significantly expand by the age of six months.
So, what is forbidden for a nursing mother to eat?
- Products containing artificial additives, preservatives, carcinogens, dyes.
- Salted, smoked, canned food.
- Chocolate, chips, any fast food.
- Carbonated and alcoholic drinks (any).
- Grapes, strawberries, kiwi, citrus, tropical fruits.
- Mayonnaise, ketchup, spices, seasonings.
We limit in the diet:
- Sausage and sausages.
- Garlic with onions.
- Shrimp, crayfish and other seafood.
- Stew and canned food.
Diet after childbirth for a nursing mother – menu, nutritional rules for a nursing mother
Childbirth is a powerful stress for the body. Therefore, in the first days after childbirth proper nutrition should be adhered to not only for the sake of the crumbs, but also for the sake of yourself… Injury to the female genital organs during childbirth, hemorrhoids and other troubles require a young mother to take care of herself.
How to eat right after your baby is born?
- The first 2-3 days after childbirth
Minimum solid food. More products for the normalization of the digestive tract – dried fruit compote, slightly sweet weak tea. All products are subject to heat treatment. Porridges (on the water!) Are introduced gradually (buckwheat, oatmeal, millet and wheat). Salt – minimum. We replace sugar with syrup (with honey – very carefully).
- 3-4 days after childbirth
You can add baked apples and baked vegetables (cauliflower, turnip, zucchini) to the menu. Fermented baked milk and bifidoprostok milk (glass) are acceptable. We add bran to prevent constipation.
- 4 to 7 days after childbirth
Vegetable soups and stews are allowed, but without cabbage and with a minimum of carrots / potatoes, only in vegetable oil. We still eat dry or toasted crispbread.
- From the 7th day after childbirth
The menu can be expanded a little. Add boiled beef, lean fish, cheese, fresh green apples (we are not fond of apples). You can use any nuts, except walnuts and peanuts. We increase the volume of liquid (about 2 liters per day). We are not carried away with strong broths.
- From 21 days after childbirth
Allowed: eggs and boiled chicken, baked potatoes in the skin, lemon and pears, dry biscuits, soy dishes, cranberry / lingonberry juice.
Commentary by nutrition expert Svetlana Titova:
I would classify foods from the list “We restrict in the diet” as prohibited foods, especially when it comes to the nutrition of a woman in the first days after childbirth. Neither sausage, nor canned food, nor other products from this list are highly recommended to be consumed during breastfeeding.
Millet and honey are also banned as they are allergenic foods. From cereals, you can add corn, from sweeteners fructose.
Cauliflower in these early days after giving birth will cause bloating in the baby, it is better to introduce it after 7 days.
Be attentive to your baby and your diet! It only seems that “nothing will happen from one pickle.” How the newborn’s body will react is beyond predicting. The health of the baby and your restful sleep are in your hands!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!