Vomiting is not an independent disease, but a symptom of some illness, intoxication or pathological condition at the moment. There can be many reasons for vomiting, and the consequences also vary – it can pass after a while without a trace, or it can lead to dehydration.
Even with a single minor vomiting in a child, the parents’ task is to find out in time what caused it and take measures to prevent harmful consequences for the baby’s health.
The content of the article:
First aid for vomiting in a child – an algorithm of actions
It should be borne in mind that any condition of the baby, accompanied by vomiting, should be evaluated by a doctor. Accordingly, only a specialist can make the correct diagnosis, carry out the necessary diagnostics and prescribe treatment on time!
When a child vomits, the task of the parents is to provide the baby with proper care and try to relieve him of the following vomiting attacks.
Nauseous and vomiting, but no fever – what could it be?
So, the algorithm of actions for vomiting in a child:
- If vomiting is accompanied by an increase in body temperature, diarrhea, abdominal pain, severe lethargy of the child up to loss of consciousness, pallor of the skin, cold sweat, as well as when the baby is under 1 year old or with repeated vomiting in older children, you should immediately call a doctor at home!
- The child should be put to bed. so that the head is turned to one side, placing a towel in case of repeated vomiting. It is better to hold the baby in your arms in a position on its side.
- You should stop feeding your baby before the doctor arrives. – even a baby.
- In case of vomiting attacks, it is better to sit the child on a chair or on your lap, tilting his torso slightly forward – to avoid the entry of vomit into the respiratory tract.
- After a seizure, the child should rinse the mouth with water., wash, change into clean linen.
- Don’t panic with a child – scream, wail, cry, because this will scare the baby even more. One should act calmly and decisively, supporting the little patient with words and stroking.
- After rinsing the mouth, the child can be offered to take a few sips of water. The water should not be very cold or hot – better than room temperature. In no case should your child drink juices, carbonated water or mineral water with gas, milk.
- The child should be diluted with glucose-saline solution for drinking. – for example, rehydron, gastrolit, citroglucosalan, oralit, etc. These drugs are available over the counter without a prescription and should always be available in your home medicine cabinet. It is necessary to dilute the solution strictly according to the recipe. The child should drink 1-3 teaspoons of the solution every 10 minutes. These solutions can also be given to infants, in a few drops and as often as possible. If the baby falls asleep, the solution can be injected with a pipette drop by drop on the cheek, with the head on one side, or in a bottle with a nipple.
- If vomiting is accompanied by diarrhea, after each act of defecation, you should wash the baby and change his underwear.
- The child may be hospitalized, so you should collect the necessary things to the hospital, hygiene products, spare clothes, prepare a bag and have it on hand, get dressed.
Video: What to do if the child is vomiting?
It is necessary to note for yourself the following signs:
- The frequency of vomiting attacks in time, the amount of vomit.
- The color and consistency of the vomit are curdled white, transparent, with foam, yellow, gray, brown or green.
- Vomiting started after a recent injury or a child’s fall.
- A young child worries, cries, pulls his legs to his stomach.
- The abdomen is tense, the child does not allow touching it.
- The child refuses to take water.
- Vomiting attacks appear even after drinking.
- The child is lethargic and drowsy, does not want to talk.
Signs of dehydration in a child:
- Dry skin, rough to the touch.
- A sharp decrease in the amount of urine or complete cessation of urination.
- Dry mouth, chapped lips, plaque on the tongue.
- Sunken eyes, dry eyelids.
Tell your doctor about all signs and symptoms!
11 causes of vomiting in a newborn baby – when do you need to see a doctor urgently?
When it comes to a newborn baby, parents should distinguish vomiting from simple physiological regurgitation after eating.
Regurgitation is not accompanied by anxiety of the baby, discharge during regurgitation does not have a characteristic vomit smell – they are rather “sour milk”.
However, parents should also keep in mind that spitting up of babies can also be pathological, caused by any diseases – we will talk about this in more detail.
So what can cause vomiting in a newborn baby?
- Hyperthermia (overheating), prolonged stay in a hot stuffy room or in the sun.
- Incorrect introduction of complementary foods – in large quantities, new products, the child is not ready for complementary foods.
- Inadequate care of a woman for herself and utensils for feeding – vomiting of a baby can be caused by strong smells of perfumes and creams, bacteria on the chest, dishes, nipples, etc.
- Improper nutrition of a nursing mother.
- Switching to another formula, as well as from breastfeeding to a formula.
- Food poisoning with products of inadequate quality.
- Intoxication due to any diseases of the child – for example, ARVI, meningitis.
- Intestinal infection.
- Appendicitis, cholecystitis, cholestasis, acute enterocolitis, hernia infringement, acute abdomen condition.
- Concussion due to falls, blows to the baby’s head. What if the child bumps his head?
Before the arrival of the doctor, parents should observe the child, measure the temperature and prepare for a possible hospitalization of the baby.
7 reasons for vomiting in children one year and older
Most often, vomiting in older children from 1-1.5 years old occurs the following reasons:
- Intestinal infections.
- Food poisoning is the first aid for poisoning a child.
- Concussion from falls and bruises.
- Acute conditions associated with diseases – appendicitis, acute respiratory viral infections, hernia infringement, meningitis, etc.
- Intoxication due to exposure to toxic substances from the outside.
- Overfeeding or improperly selected food – too fatty, fried, sweet, etc. dishes.
- Psychoneurological factors – fears, stress, neuroses, mental disorders, a consequence of diseases of the central nervous system.
Treatment of vomiting in a child – is it possible to treat vomiting in children on their own?
Parents should remember that vomiting is a serious sign of any disorders in the child’s health, therefore, it is necessary to treat the underlying diseases and pathological conditions that manifest this symptom. For the same reason, it is impossible to stop vomiting by any means, because this is a protective reaction of the body.
If vomiting is less than three times, is not accompanied by any other symptoms (diarrhea, dehydration, fever), and the child is older than one and a half years, then the baby should be provided with peace, for a while, stop feeding and monitor his condition. For any, even the slightest, symptoms of deterioration, you must call a doctor or an ambulance!
If the baby is a baby, then the doctor should be called even after a single vomiting.
Remember: there is no independent treatment of vomiting and cannot be!
What treatment will a child need due to diseases that caused vomiting:
- Food poisoning – gastric lavage in the hospital, then – detoxification and restorative therapy.
- Food infections, infectious diseases – antibiotic therapy, detoxification of the body.
- In acute conditions due to appendicitis, hernia infringement, etc. – surgery.
- Concussion – bed rest and complete rest, anticonvulsant therapy, prevention of GM edema.
- Functional vomiting due to neurosis, stress, mental disorders – neuropsychiatric treatment and psychotherapy.
The Bologny.ru website warns: self-medication can harm your child’s health and is dangerous to his life! The diagnosis should be made only by a doctor after an examination. Therefore, if vomiting occurs, be sure to consult a specialist!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!