The frequency of stool of a newborn baby ranges from 1 to 10 times a day, this is the norm. But often the crumbs have problems with digestion – first of all, this concerns formula-fed children – and then the enema is one of the most affordable and quickest methods of help. In addition, the pediatrician may prescribe enemas for medicinal purposes.
Every mother needs to know the basic rules for setting an enema to a newborn child in order to be able to provide competent assistance to her baby in time.
The content of the article:
Types of enemas for a newborn – features of each type of enema
It turns out that such a medical manipulation as an enema can be of various types, depending on the goals and execution technique:
- Cleansing enema
The simplest and most common manipulation available for performing, including at home. Most often, clean boiled water without any additives is used to perform a cleansing enema.
- Micro enema
This is a kind of medicated enema with a very small amount of medicated solution or oil.
- Diagnostic enema
This manipulation consists in the introduction of contrast or other means into the intestinal cavity of the child for diagnostic purposes. It is performed half an hour after the cleansing enema.
X-rays are taken immediately after the contrast enema is performed.
- Medicinal or nutritional enema
Performed to administer any medications prescribed by your doctor. These can be nutrient solutions in case of violation or inability to eat, or digestive problems of the baby.
According to the rules, the medicinal enema should be performed half an hour after the cleansing enema.
- Oil enema
Oil manipulation is performed in order to cleanse the intestines and relax slightly.
Oil enemas are prescribed for constipation in infants, they can be performed by parents at home on their own.
- Siphon enema
This type of enema involves the introduction of a large amount of water or medical solutions, according to indications, into the intestines of the child, while ensuring the removal of fluid from the intestines.
A siphon enema is also called intestinal lavage, manipulation can be prescribed to a baby only in case of very severe poisoning, intoxication and performed only in a medical institution under the supervision of a medical professional.
Video: Enema for a newborn baby
Indications and contraindications for an enema for infants
Cleansing and laxative enemas are performed with:
- Constipation in newborns.
- Spastic colitis.
- Digestive problems that lead to colic and gas.
- Hyperthermia at high temperature, fever and intoxication of the body.
- The need to perform other types of enemas after cleansing: for example, diagnostic or therapeutic.
The temperature of the solution for the cleansing enema should be from 30 to 38 degrees C.
A solution for a laxative enema for a newborn, especially for cramps and colic, can be oil or glycerin, according to the doctor’s recommendation.
Indications for medicinal enemas:
- Spastic states of the intestines.
- Colic and flatulence.
- Inflammatory processes in the intestines.
To relieve intestinal spasms, the baby may be prescribed a solution of chloral hydrate (2%) or other anticonvulsants.
For inflammatory bowel diseases, medicinal microclysters with antibiotics, as well as anti-inflammatory solutions, for example, decoctions of chamomile, sage, sea buckthorn oil, etc. are often prescribed.
In order for the medicinal enema to be effective and work quickly, the solution or oil for it must be heated to a temperature of 40 degrees C.
Medicinal enemas are performed, as noted above, half an hour after cleansing.
Indications for nutritional enemas:
- Large loss of fluid in case of pathological conditions or poisoning of the child.
- Continuous vomiting.
- Intoxication for various diseases.
- Eating disorders, inability to eat well in the usual way.
For nutritional enemas, solutions of glucose and salts are performed. Nutrient enemas should be given only in a hospital setting, the solution should enter the intestine in small doses, drip, for a long time.
At home, enemas for newborns are performed for:
- Colon cleansing and laxative effect.
- Introducing certain medicinal solutions into the baby’s intestines.
- Cleansing, removing toxins in case of poisoning and severe intoxication of the child.
It is worth noting that even such a simple manipulation as an enema, best done on doctor’s recommendation… The pediatrician examines the baby, examines all the circumstances of the health problem that has arisen and prescribes the correct algorithm for these manipulations.
Despite all the simplicity, the enema is quite harmful for the baby, and therefore can be used very rarely, as an affordable aid, when other means have not had any effect.
How can an enema be harmful to a newborn?
- Cleansing upsets the balance of intestinal microflora and can lead to dysbiosis.
- The use of an enema can provoke irritation or inflammation of the intestinal mucosa, anus.
- Frequent use of enemas can lead to intestinal atony, the so-called “lazy” intestines, which is fraught with aggravation of the problem of constipation in the future.
- Improper manipulation can lead to injury to the intestinal walls or anus.
Contraindications for performing an enema for a newborn:
- The slightest suspicion of a surgical pathology, with strong anxiety and crying of the child. It can be acute appendicitis, volvulus and intestinal obstruction, infringement of a hernia, internal bleeding, fissures of the rectum and anus, paraproctitis, etc.
- Any inflammatory processes in the perineum, anus, rectum.
- The early postoperative period after undergoing abdominal surgery for any reason. (In some cases, the doctor may prescribe medicinal microclysters).
- Rectal prolapse.
At home, cleansing enemas can be performed in the absence of the child’s anxiety and disturbances in his well-being.
These measures should be one-time, followed by consultation with a pediatrician or gastroenterologist about the emerging disorders of digestion and defecation of the newborn.
Tools and solutions for an enema for a baby – what to prepare?
Before the very manipulation, it is necessary to prepare a suitable inventory.
You will need:
- A pear syringe with a volume of no more than 60 ml (the tip must be soft!).
- Boiled water at room temperature (too cool water can irritate the intestines, and too warm water can be absorbed in the intestines without the desired effect).
- Medicated solution or oil – for appropriate enemas.
- Vaseline oil for lubricating the enema tip.
- Cotton pads or soft napkins.
- Oilcloth with a diaper (you can use a disposable diaper).
- If the baby is already sitting confidently and knows the pot, prepare a clean and dry pot.
- Wet wipes and a towel for hygiene procedures after an enema.
- It is better to perform an enema on a changing table – it must first be covered with an oilcloth and a diaper.
Since an enema involves the introduction of foreign substances into the lumen of the child’s intestines, the basic rule that must be strictly observed is sterility of all instruments, solutions and materials. The water for the enema must be boiled in advance, the syringe with the tip must be boiled for 25 minutes over low heat, then cooled. Hands must be washed with soap and water before handling.
The procedure requires prepare the baby tooso that he does not worry, does not cry and be in a relaxed state.
How to do an enema for a newborn and an infant – instructions
- Put the newborn on its back, bend the legs at the knees and lift it up. A baby from eight months old can be placed on the left roll.
- Collect the required amount of water (or medicinal solution – as recommended by a doctor) into the syringe. A newborn baby is injected with no more than 25 ml, for children up to six months – from 30 to 60 ml, after six months to 1 year – from 60 to 150 ml.
The dosage of medicinal, hypertensive and oil enemas is determined by the doctor!
- Lubricate the tip of the pear with vaseline oil.
- With your free hand, you need to gently push the baby’s buttocks apart, bring the syringe to the anus.
- Lift the tip of the syringe up and release all the air from it, until water drops appear.
- Insert the tip of the pear into the anus by 2 cm, then slightly deviating the tip posteriorly – another 2 cm, trying to do this while the baby inhales.
- Gently squeezing the syringe with your fingers, inject the solution, trying to do this while the child breathes. If the baby starts to worry or cry, take short pauses.
- With the fingers of your free hand, squeeze the baby’s buttocks slightly. Without unclenching the fingers, squeezing the syringe, carefully remove it, while moving the buttocks with the other hand.
- It is necessary to hold the baby’s buttocks for 1-2 minutes so that the solution does not flow out immediately.
- A few minutes after the procedure, you should change the position of the child’s body, for a better distribution of the solution in his intestines, turn it on one side, then on the other side, lay it on the tummy, raise the chest, and plant it for a short time.
- For defecation, the baby should be placed on the changing table, raising his legs so that he rests against his mother’s belly. The area of the anus should be covered with a sterile napkin, disposable diaper or diaper, without fastening it.
- If the baby already knows how to sit on the potty, it is necessary to put him on the potty.
- After defecation, the baby’s crotch should be cleaned with napkins and washed, and then moistened with a soft towel and treated with hygiene products (cream, oil, powder) – if necessary.
- After the procedure, the syringe must be washed with soap and dried well. Store the instrument in a tightly closed container and boil it just before the next use.
Video: How to properly deliver an enema to a newborn baby?
All information in this article is for educational purposes only, it may not correspond to the specific circumstances of your baby’s health, and is not a medical recommendation. The site сolady.ru reminds that in case of the slightest suspicion of a deterioration in the child’s well-being, in no case should you delay or ignore the visit to the doctor!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!