Women’s bicycles are no less reliable and ergonomic than bicycle transport for the stronger sex. Same technical functions and equipment. Unless the designs themselves are developed taking into account female physiology, and the design is more stylish.
How should a woman choose a bike? What should be considered? Find out all the intricacies of choosing a women’s bike in our material.
See also: What is the use of a bicycle for women?
The content of the article:
General rules for choosing a women’s bike – how to choose a bike for women?
First of all, we decide on purpose of purchase… What is a bike for? For country cycling, for the city, or maybe you decided to go cycling? Based on the goals, the bike transport is purchased:
- Road (country) bike… Differs in simplicity of design, very low price and high reliability. The ideal option is to travel on country roads. Cons: heavy weight, sluggishness, low level of comfort (you won’t go far – you will get tired).
- Mountain bike. Universal bicycle transport. Suitable for riding on forest paths and asphalt roads. It has many subspecies – from entry-level bicycles (for amateurs) to transport for freestyle (performing tricks), downhill (skiing from the mountains), etc.
- City bikes, or city bikes, not designed for heavy loads – they are suitable for quiet trips along city streets, for walking in the park.
- Road bikes. This option is suitable for high-speed driving only on flat asphalt. Its entire design assumes maximum travel speed. A bike for fans of the Tour de France.
- Touring bicycles. Designed for cycling trips. They are distinguished by the possibility of transporting a cycling backpack and attaching a trunk, thick and wide wheels.
- Hybrids… Combines the properties of mountain, road and walking bikes. They are distinguished by a high frame, shock-absorbing fork, sometimes a trunk, fenders and disc brakes.
- Cruisers… For a relaxing bike ride.
It is clear that a women’s bicycle should be chosen taking into account its main features. When buying a women’s bicycle (after choosing a model – for walking, sports, etc.), you should pay attention to the following points:
- Frame… It is desirable that it be made of aluminum (for greater ease), of high quality and the most expensive (driving performance depends on it).
- The size… The length of the frame and the size of the bike itself are selected taking into account the height of the girl.
- Frame level. The lowered frame allows you to ride in a skirt.
- Steering wheel… On women’s cycling, the handlebars are narrower, longer and thinner.
- Pendants… This part in a bicycle for ladies is soft for maximum riding comfort.
- Design. The modern design of a women’s bicycle is worked out to the smallest detail (decoration with baubles, saddle straps, patterns, etc.). Therefore, choosing your individual bike is not difficult.
- Brand… As for the manufacturer, it is preferable to choose a transport of a well-known proven brand, so that later your bike does not rust in a barn in the country.
- Accessories. Like a man’s bike, a woman’s bike can have a trunk, a bicycle pump, a first aid kit, gloves and other necessary things.
Talking about the price, it is worth noting that saving on a bike won’t do you any good… Your vehicle should be as reliable and safe as possible.
Women’s city bicycles are suitable for residents of megacities models for walking around the city
The female model of a city bike (city bike) has a comfortable, spring-loaded seat, is distinguished by the presence of 3-7 speeds, large wheels, a high seating position (plus for the back), a rigid fork. The complete set includes a trunk, fenders, foot brakes, chain guards, etc. The price will depend on the hitch and frame. Maintenance is practically not needed thanks to the maintenance-free mechanisms. The city bike, of course, is not designed for high loads.
Graceful ladies’ cruiser bikes are for real ladies. How to Choose a Women’s Walking Bike?
This version of the bike will be the most successful choice for the girl who plans to ride in the city on good asphalt. Bicycle features: low position of the upper frame tube, protection for the chain, straight handlebars, high weight and minimum speeds, trunk (basket), wide saddle.
How to Choose a Women’s Cruiser Bike?
- Check how it fits your height. Its frame should be slightly below (a few cm) of your belt.
- During the trip, you should easily reach the steering wheel with slightly bent arms.
- The bike frame is selected based on financial capabilities. Steel will cost less, but its weight will be much higher. If you’re looking for lightweight transport, look for a carbon or Kevlar frame.
- Wheels are best chosen with aluminum rims to reduce overall weight, strength and reduce the risk of corrosion. When choosing a bike for good city roads, choose narrow tires with no deep embossing.
- The saddle should be adjustable in height and horizontal direction. The extended leg should reach the pedal completely. In terms of shape, the wide saddle is comfortable for walking, the narrow one for sports.
And don’t forget to check bike condition… There should be no chipped paint, visible defects, malfunctions. All necessary parts must be included in the kit.
A touring bike for women allows you to travel off-road
This type of bike is a tourist bike. It is suitable for cycling on different roads.
- Lightweight, durable frame.
- The presence of a trunk.
- Rudder “ram’s horns”.
- Front fork with shock absorber.
- Wheels with an average diameter of 28, tires with tread (tire thickness about 32-42 mm), spokes – 32-36.
- Caliper brakes.
Women’s mountain bikes are suitable for walking in the mountains and for trips to the country.
Mountain bike is the most popular due to its versatility and reliability. The price depends on the choice of the model and its functional features.
What to look for when buying a mountain bike:
- The standover height (distance from the groin to the upper frame tube) when traveling on asphalt should be 3-5 cm below the groin, when traveling along other paths – 5-8 cm, for rough terrain – 10 cm or more.
- The length of the top tube of the vehicle should be consistent with the length of the body and arms, driving experience and riding style.
- The saddle is selected based on your comfort, female anatomy and 3-way adjustment (angle, height, longitudinal offset).
- Frame. If extreme skiing is not planned, then a frame made of carbon fiber and other super-materials is not required. The ideal choice is aluminum. But provided that the body weight is at least 70 kg, and in the presence of a shock-absorbing front fork (its presence on a mountain bike is required!).
- It is advisable to choose hinges from well-known Japanese manufacturers.
- Tires. For the highway: slicks – no pattern and hard rubber; for dirt roads – soft tires, wide, large tread; for tourism – half slick.
Road bike for women – tips for choosing
The functions of a road (speed) bike are speed, efficiency and agility…
The main features of the bike:
- Lightness of wheels, frames and accessories.
- Narrow wheels are for speed, wider wheels are safer.
- Carbon fiber composite fork (front).
- Rudder “ram’s horns”. Pay attention to the correct handlebar height.
- Women’s size.
- Lack of rear (front) suspension.
- Saddle. The gel inserts in the saddle provide maximum comfort.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!