Moms do not need to be told that children’s skin is more delicate and sensitive than that of adults. Children’s skin is thinner, quickly losing moisture, easily traumatized and poorly protected from external factors. Therefore, it is categorically impossible to buy baby cosmetics for babies, focusing on beautiful packaging or a loud brand name.
And how you can choose – we will tell you now.
The content of the article:
- Basic requirements for children’s cosmetics, composition
- Types of cosmetics for children at what age to use?
- Rating of manufacturers of modern children’s cosmetics
Basic requirements for children’s cosmetics – what should and should not be contained in cosmetics for girls and boys?
Does the child need various cosmetics?
But only – special children’s products intended for children, and meeting all the modern requirements of children’s cosmetics.
10 best baby creams for newborns and children over, rated by expert ratings and mothers’ reviews
Some mothers in horror push aside the cream with glycerin in the composition, others calmly buy products with parabens, not knowing about the dangers of these components.
How to choose the right baby cosmetics?
- Safety: anti-allergenic composition and absence of harmful components.
- An expiration date that has not yet expired. The fresher the product, the better. Moreover, the shorter the overall shelf life of the product, the more natural it is. The higher the shelf life, the more preservatives it contains.
- High quality raw materials (used in production).
- Modern manufacturing technologies.
- Compliance with GOST and European quality standards, certification.
- Lack of dyes, fragrances.
- The presence of natural ingredients (oils, plant extracts, vitamins, beeswax, etc.).
- Age-appropriate for the child.
- No contraindications in the instructions.
The most harmful ingredients in baby cosmetics
It is not recommended to use cosmetic products for babies containing:
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate, SLES, SLS. It is a cheap and harmful component obtained from oil refining. Sulfates are commonly found in shampoos and other products that can produce copious lather. May cause allergies, eye redness and premature aging.
- Formaldehyde. These carcinogenic preservatives, with systematic contact with the skin, lead to visual impairment, diseases of the nervous system, skin, respiratory organs, and even to violations at the genetic level.
- Parabens. As a rule, they are used in deodorant products. The consequences of using cosmetics with parabens are very serious: accumulating in the body, these powerful allergens can lead to a malignant tumor.
- Diethanolamine. This foaming component is based on ammonia. It provides dry skin, allergies, toxic effects.
- Propylene glycol. It is also a product of oil refining, which often responds not only to allergies, but also to hives, eczema, and so on.
- Mineral oil… If you see this component, do not rush to sigh with relief. It is not on the list of useful ones! Mineral oil is not olive or even almond oil. It is based on industrial oil, ceresin, paraffin oil and other substances. Naturally, this component is harmful for baby’s skin (and any other). Mineral oil dries out the skin, promotes the accumulation of toxins, causes rashes, and more.
- Glycerol. It would seem a harmless component, but few people know that glycerin “sucks” moisture even more from dry skin. That is, glycerin is only good for moisturized skin.
- Diazolidinyl and imidazolidinyl. These preservatives are capable of releasing formaldehyde and causing dermatitis.
- Chlorphenol triclosan. This antibacterial component fights not only harmful, but also the most beneficial bacteria.
- Synthetic dyes. It is better not for children to meet with these carcinogens.
- Chemical flavors. They provoke headache, nausea, cough, pigmentation, skin rashes, etc.
- Lanolin. May cause an allergic reaction.
- Petrolatum. The action is comparable to that of mineral oil.
- Laurid, loramide, loret. They are needed for foaming and cleansing. Consequences for the body: dry skin, itching, allergic manifestations, dandruff and hair loss.
- Isopropylparaben, isobutylparaben, phenylparaben, benzylparaben, pentylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben banned by the European Commission in cosmetics.
- Methylisothiazolinone. Toxic and extremely harmful.
Remember that under the sign “natural cosmetics” anything can be hidden, because there is no legal clear definition of this term.
But for organic cosmetics, there are long-established quality standards.
Do you also want to know about harmful ingredients in adult cosmetics?
Types of cosmetics for children – recommended age for using cosmetics
All cosmetics used for babies can be classified into the following categories:
- Aesthetic. This includes products for cleansing, moisturizing the skin, eliminating dryness, and more. Funds are used from the 1st year of life, unless otherwise stated on the package.
- Therapeutic. Includes products to eliminate redness, flaking and itching, acne in adolescents, diaper rash in newborns, burns, etc. The funds are used from birth, according to the instructions (creams, powders, etc.).
- Hygienic. This type of cosmetics includes hygiene products – from toothpaste, soaps and shampoos to creams, bubble baths and more.
- Decorative. A category of cosmetics that cannot be used for a certain age: varnishes and shadows, lipsticks and glosses, body gels and other products of the children’s beauty series. Some of them can be used after 5 years (for example, harmless varnishes, washed off with water, or lip gloss based on beeswax), but most cosmetic decorative products still have to wait in the wings.
Rememberthat the manufacturer always indicates the recommended age on the packaging (unless, of course, it is a responsible manufacturer), and this recommendation must be followed so as not to harm your child.
Rating of manufacturers of modern children’s cosmetics, compiled by the editors of colady.ru – pros and cons
Please note that the assessment of funds is subjective and may not coincide with your opinion. Products of the same company may have completely different compositions, so it is impossible to compare all cosmetic lines for children in one review.
Our employees drew their conclusions based on their own experience of the practical use of children’s products in families.
Our rating is not a guide to action or a ban on the purchase of these brands of children’s cosmetics, we only urge you to carefully study the composition of the purchased products for children.
The Russian market for children’s cosmetics is more than rich and diverse.
Naturally, among this abundance, it is extremely difficult to find the right product for your child. Therefore, he will be guided by brands (but do not forget to look at the composition!).
The brands of the safest children’s cosmetics, according to the editors of colady.ru:
- Shea Moisture. Products that do not even have alcohol and glycerin in their compositions. On all sides, pleasant products with mild action and natural aromas.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby. Very mild products without surfactants and with natural Castile soap as a base. Disadvantage: glycerin is present, which is not very useful for already problematic and sensitive baby skin.
- Weleda. Products with mild, gentle formulations. The disadvantages include the presence of alcohol (albeit the safest, but a preservative) and glycerin (mainly in “bathing” products). However, given that glycerin is present in products used in contact with water, most likely there will be no harm from it.
- Little Siberica. A domestic budget brand that could be called completely safe if it were not for the sulfates and Cocamidopropyl Betaine in the formulations.
- Mommy care. Decent formulations of products and, in general, an almost safe cosmetic line, with the exception of products with alcohol content.
- Mild By Nature. Natural formulations, gentle action of the funds. Minus: Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate is present in some products.
- Lallum Baby. It is considered safe cosmetics, most of the products in the series are simply flawless.
- Mustela. The only disadvantage is the presence of Cocamidopropyl Betaine. Despite the softness of this surfactant, it still spoils the picture. Otherwise, the compositions are very decent and meet safety requirements.
Brands of relatively safe children’s cosmetics, according to the editors of colady.ru:
- Magic Herbs. This series of eco-friendly cosmetics is available to almost everyone, but the formulations use Phenoxyethanol and Cocamidopropyl Betaine.
- Babycoccole. The surfactants used in this cosmetics are particularly soft, but, alas, parabens are often found in the formulations, as well as the PEG-4-200 component.
- Chico (Chicco). This brand is very fond of Russian mothers for high-quality fashionable toys and various baby care products. But in cosmetics, the manufacturer could not achieve such success: the compositions use very budgetary surfactants and even harmful ones: Cocamidopropyl Betaine (relatively safe), PEG and Laureth-2 (harmful components). Regarding the harmfulness of the composition, the price of Chico’s cosmetics is certainly too high.
- Babyline. In the line of products of this brand, you can find quality products without harmful components (in particular, an ideal foam for washing), but there are also products with parabens (for example, shampoo).
- Bubchen. Of the advantages, one can only note the presence (albeit not too many) of safe products in the overall brand line. Of the minuses, there are many products with aggressive surfactants.
- Johnsons Baby. The brand is considered one of the most popular on the international market as a whole – but, alas, children’s cosmetics of this brand are far from ideal. However, if you search well, then even among the products of JOHNSON’S Baby you can find products without flaws.
Brands of children’s cosmetics, the compositions of which must be read very carefully:
- Pigeon: too many parabens in most products.
- GreenLab liitle: no parabens or sulfates. But the extremely harmful Methylisothiazolinone is present.
- Sanosan: again – the presence of products with parabens.
- Umka: cosmetics of this brand are positioned by the manufacturer as ECO products. Alas and oh, Umka also contains Methylisothiazolinone, which should not be found in modern cosmetics.
- Green Mama: presence of SLS and other harmful components in most of the products.
- Crumb: reasonable prices and very decent compositions. Could have been if it weren’t for Methylisothiazolinone, which becomes dangerous even in small quantities.
- our mother: too many preservatives, parabens and harmful surfactants.
- My Sunshine: again parabens, preservatives and surfactants.
- Eared nanny: sulfates, parabens, Methylisothiazolinone – in almost all products.
It is important to understand that in the line of products of each brand there may be both safe products and not too safe ones.
In addition, the manufacturer can change the composition when improving the product, which happens quite often. Therefore, pay primary attention to the composition of the product.
It is also worth paying attention to such a factor as the “focus of services”. If a manufacturer specializes exclusively in children’s cosmetics, then the percentage of trust in him will be definitely higher than in a company for which the production of children’s cosmetics is only an additional way of earning money.
Bologny.ru website thanks you for your attention to the article! We will be very pleased if you share your feedback and tips in the comments below.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!