The earliest part of St John the Baptist Church is thought to date back to c1160, although it is not known for certain. The wood screen with lower panels and balustered open rails above the pulpit dates to the 16th century. The Church belonged to the Knights Hospitallers from c1160 until 1536. Wikidata entries may be related to this building and can be edited by a Wikidata editor.
The earliest parts of the church date back to the fourteenth century, although the south and north walls are probably older. The chancel is equally wide, and the nave is 33ft 2 in long. Inside the walls is a small tower, five feet in height and ornamented with zigzags, which may have been a relic of the previous church.
St John the Baptist church has been a Christian church for several centuries. The parish received a small recreation ground in 1867, and sixteen small allotments were given to the poor for one shilling each. The original structure of the St. John’s parish church is a simple, elegant design. The north doorway is topped by a porch.
The church is a Grade II listed building. It is also home to a chapel with an interesting history. The Gothic-style chapel was built in 1850 and dates to the fifteenth century. The parish has an open-air recreation area with a gazebo. Its bells are 16th-century and marked with ‘R B 1595’. The two bells hang from shallow stocks with a long projection on one end. The rope fastens to the stoop. The communion cup and cover paten, and standing paten, both date from the seventeenth century. The octagonal tower is inscribed with ‘Foreyevil Church in Badsly’.
The nave and chancel are of equal width and are decorated with zigzags. The aisles are 33 feet 2 inches wide, and the chancel and nave are of equal width. The chancel is 19 ft. 10 in. from the screen. The north doorway leads to the porch. This church was built in the late nineteenth century. This st. John the Baptist Church is a former vicarage.
The church is open to the public and is open most Sundays. Its five-storey nave has an equal length. The chancel and nave are both twenty-one feet wide and two feet and a half inches wide. A porch over the south doorway is located on the west side. A chapel is also attached to the school in the parish. The exterior is attractive and the interior is in good condition.
The chancel is decorated with an embattled parapet. The south and north windows have square heads and were added in the 1670s. There are no piscinas or sedilias in the church. Its roof is made of red brick and has a ribbed structure. The porch is located over the south doorway. It has two porches.
The nave is fifteenth century in date. The south and north walls are earlier. A twelfth century octagonal shaft is found at the south doorway of the nave. It has a roof of thirty-two feet. The nave is more modern than the chancel, and has a tower that is five feet high. The porches are located on the south gable and are accessed by stairs.
The nave and porch are of equal width. The nave is thirty-three feet two inches long. The treble bell has a blank mark. The treble bell is marked ‘R B 1595’. It is hung from shallow stocks with a long projection at one end. The communion cup and cover paten date from the 1618. The standing paten is seventeenth century and has a zigzag decoration.
The nave has two windows. The eastern window is a copy of the other window. It is a late fourteenth century work with a square head and two trefoiled lights. The southern window has a rounded pediment with a medallion of a putto on a skull holding a winged book. The south door is a modern copy of the medieval front door.