There are many different opinions about the profession of a masseur, but whatever one may say, it is recognized as one of the best by most masseurs for two reasons. Firstly, this profession allows you to bring real benefits to people. Secondly, you can earn good money while working exclusively for yourself, and not for your “uncle”.
How to become a massage therapist, and where to start?
The content of the article:
- Features of the profession and types of massage
- Pros and cons of working as a massage therapist
- Skills and skills for working as a massage therapist
- Masseur education – where to study?
- Salary and career of a massage therapist
- Where to look for a job and how to start?
What does a massage therapist do – features of the profession and types of massage
There is no need to explain to anyone what massage is. This is an impact with the help of the skilled hands of a specialist on the soft tissues of the patient for specific purposes.
This method of treatment and relaxation has been used by people since ancient times. True, today the classification of types of massage has expanded significantly.
The main types include …
- Massotherapy. The most difficult and responsible, requiring not only couches and talcum powder, but also specific knowledge.
- Children’s. Children’s massage therapists are especially in demand today. Every 3rd mother turns to a masseur with one or another problem in a baby, or even just for the development of a toddler.
- Sports. Every professional athlete needs the services of a massage therapist, so specialists in this area are also in demand.
- Cosmetic. It is usually performed in beauty salons and massage parlors to restore healthy blooming appearance to the skin.
- Relaxing… This type of massage helps to relieve tension, relax muscles, activate the necessary points in the body, eliminate back pain, etc.
Also, massage can be using an apparatus or other devices (brushes, cans, etc.), it can be oriental (Thai, Korean, shiatsu) and European, etc., deep or superficial.
In the Russian system, massage is usually referred to as European, and the founder of our therapeutic school recommended that it be combined with gymnastics and indispensable hydrotherapy for the proper effect (note – M.Ya. Mudrov).
What do a reflexologist, osteopath and chiropractor treat?
Massage is becoming one of the effective treatment tools for a wide variety of problems and diseases, which include flat feet and cellulite, impaired digestion and back problems, beer belly, etc.
Who is this profession for men or for women?
Despite the individual nuances of the profession, it is still suitable for both. Of course, a man has more strength, and a power massage will be more effective, but for a massage for kids (or for a cosmetic, relaxing one), gentle female hands are preferable.
Well, and most importantly: this profession will always be in demand, and everyone will find a job for themselves in it.
Pros and cons of working as a massage therapist
People in the know say that the pros of this job outweigh all the cons.
Is it so?
The advantages of the profession include the following:
- An opportunity to realize yourself in a profession that will be useful not only for you, but also for others. Double joy when your occupation brings tangible benefits to someone.
- The ability to work for yourself.
- Decent earnings (massage is an expensive pleasure these days).
- Demand. The stronger the progress, the less people move, and the more health problems arise. A sedentary lifestyle affects absolutely everyone, which ultimately leads to the need for treatment of emerging problems. And, of course, no one cancels children’s massage, massage therapists in sanatoriums and salons, etc.
- Low competition. There are few real professionals today. There are many massage therapists who have completed standard courses, but very few specialists who have the official right to conduct therapeutic massage.
- Regular communication with people.
- Free schedule (when working for yourself, you schedule sessions yourself, based on your free time).
Disadvantages of the profession:
- Physically hard work. A fragile little girl just can’t handle a serious power massage.
- Regular professional development is a must.
- When working for yourself, you will have to periodically spend money on expendable funds (not such serious bills, but they are inappropriate).
- You will have to look for clients yourself.
- The massage will have to be done by a wide variety of people, including those you would rather not see naked on your couch.
- High responsibility. This is one of the most important disadvantages. For example, with certain problems with the spine in the cervical spine, a careless movement can make a person disabled. This is why amateurs are never allowed to massage therapy.
- The presence of a massage “cabinet” in an apartment may raise questions – from neighbors, from family members, from SES, and so on. Therefore, the ideal option is to rent your own office in a suitable institution.
- Over time, a professional massage therapist can acquire such diseases as varicose veins (note – constant work on the legs), problems with the spine and with the joints of the hands.
As you can see, there are many more drawbacks, but for a person aimed at success, this is not a problem!
Woman and career are the most common mistakes and how to overcome them on the way to success
What skills and talents are needed for a future massage therapist?
The qualities and talents that a massage therapist should possess include …
- Sociability and personal charm. The massage therapist must inspire confidence in the patient.
- Endurance and patience.
- Thirst for knowledge (you will have to develop constantly).
- Stress resistance.
- Confidence and calmness.
- Ultimate attentiveness.
What should a massage therapist know and know?
- Human anatomy, including the location of muscles, all tendons, as well as large vessels, nerve fibers, organs. And, of course, the features of the impact on the body of each massage technique.
- Key massage techniques.
- All the features of the massage.
- The nuances of using oils and other massage products.
- All requirements / rules regarding sanitary control.
- All possible indications / contraindications for one or another type of massage.
- Psychology, physiology.
- The ability to choose the right type and massage technique for a specific person in accordance with contraindications, etc.
What can a massage therapist need?
- Appropriate education.
- License (certificate).
- A sufficient level of qualification for work.
- Strong arms and legs, good physical condition in general.
- Place for sessions.
Is it possible for a pregnant woman to massage – permissible types of massage during pregnancy
I will go to massage therapists, let them teach me – where to go to study?
Unfortunately, in our time there are very few professional masseurs, and they simply dissolve in the general mass of amateurs who proudly call themselves masseurs.
Of course, in fairness, it should be said that among amateurs there are people who are fluent in the art of massage – but, alas, not everyone can master this art.
This is why vocational training is so important, not a month-long course “listened to on the Internet”.
So, you can master (at different levels!) A profession in 2 ways:
- Courses at a medical educational institution. Affordable and fast option. The duration of training depends on the program. After graduation, you receive a certificate that gives you the right to work, but with limited powers and, accordingly, with a cut income.
- Obtaining an appropriate education at a medical school, and only then – additional massage courses… This is an ideal option for those who have already received medical education (nurses, paramedics, doctors), or for those who are just looking for their own path of development in life.
Will you be able to fully and legally work as a massage therapist without a medical education?
No and no again.
The most popular massage therapy will be an unattainable dream for you with just a certificate.
Do I need to graduate from medical school to become a massage therapist?
No. It is enough to get the specialty “nurse” (the term of study is only a little over 2 years) and to complete the courses there (for a fee).
And then you will have to regularly, every 5 years, master new skills and improve your qualifications, so as not to miss the opportunity to officially do your favorite job.
New techniques appear quite often, just as often the preferences of patients change, whose horizons regarding new techniques are also expanding, so improving skills is necessary and inevitable.
You can improve your qualifications in domestic or international schools (there are a lot of them today).
How much does a massage therapist earn, career ladder and demand for the profession
A massage therapist can have a small salary only in 2 cases:
- He doesn’t want to work (or is too lazy to look for clients).
- He lives in a region where massage is practically not required by anyone.
Each self-employed massage therapist determines the threshold of his salary independently.
The salary depends on the desire to work, on the availability of clients and on the very way of working:
- The average salary in a salon is 20,000-80000 rubles, depending on the city, the prestige of the salon, the skills of a massage therapist.
- The average salary at a polyclinic is 15,000-30,000 rubles.
- The average salary when working for oneself is from 50,000 rubles and more, depending on the number of clients and efficiency. One massage session, depending on its complexity, costs 500-3000 rubles today. The maximum number of sessions per day is determined by the masseur himself. One gets tired after the 1st session, and the other conducts 4-5 sessions a day easily and “with a song”.
Demand for the profession
We have already said about it above, but it is worth noting that this profession is included in the TOP-10 of the most popular in the modern labor market.
A masseur is required in …
- Clinics and hospitals.
- Wellness centers and sanatoriums.
- Massage and beauty salons.
- In sports clubs.
- In baths and so on.
Speaking of a career, it should be noted that its peak is its own massage parlor.
True, you will have to work hard to make it pay for itself in terms of costs, but then you can work for yourself with a clear conscience, without worrying that difficult times without money will come.
How and where to look for a job as a massage therapist – what do you need to start, and where to start?
Even if you want to work exclusively for yourself, it’s still better to start from work “as an uncle” in order to gain the necessary experience. It is not recommended to start independent swimming without practice.
If you have a medical education and a corresponding certificate, then you will not have problems with the device anywhere (massage therapists are required everywhere today). The ideal option is a private clinic, sanatorium.
If you have enough experience, then it’s time to think about your own office. Find a convenient location with an inexpensive rental, purchase a massage table and related tools / supplies, and go!
Clients who need constant massage quickly get used to their masseur and do not want to change him. In addition, they will recommend a good masseur to their friends and relatives.
Therefore, when working in a clinic, you can manage to acquire your own client base.
How to find clients?
- The surest way is word of mouth. It is from regular customers that the main income is formed, so the more people you make happy, the better. And it is worth starting with free sessions so that people will be drawn to you for a high-quality and professional massage.
Well, then – the standard methods:
- Social networks and forums, message boards on the Internet.
- Announcements in newspapers.
- Business cards, flyers.
- And so on.
Do not forget about your physical form – a massage therapist must be strong, physically enduring, capable of long, hard work in every sense.
Bologny.ru website thanks you for your attention to the article! We will be very pleased if you share your feedback and tips in the comments below.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!