How to keep flowers fresh for a long time – flower preservation methods
One of the key reasons a cut flower withers in a vase is the stress the plant experiences due to lack of habitual nutrition, dehydration and decreased sugar levels in the tissues. Today COLADY will tell you what to do to prolong the life of flowers.
How to keep a bouquet of flowers fresh for a long time – the best folk methods
- Before placing your flower in the water, cut the end of the stem obliquely.… If necessary, remove the flower from the water, do not forget to repeat this operation. It is advisable to update the sections under running water and in the early morning hours. A daily water change is required.
- The lower leaves are removed from the stems before placing flowers in a vase (for roses, thorns are also removed). This will protect against the active development of bacteria in the water and reduce moisture evaporation.
- If the stem is hard (for example, like a rose), then you should split its end a few cm and put part of the match inside to enhance moisture absorption. Soft stems are slightly incised or easily scratched with a needle.
- If the stems of flowers are hollow (lupines, dahlias, etc.), then you should fill them with water and plug the holes with cotton wool…
- With the release of milky juice the ends of the stems are burned on the fire or dipped in boiling water for a couple of seconds.
- Helps to prolong the freshness of the bouquet and charcoal… One small piece will protect the stems from decay and disinfect the water at the same time. For the same purposes, many use silver coins in the old fashioned way.
- If you have been given a bouquet, do not rush to remove the packaging and place the flowers in a vase. Let Them Away From Stress – trim, remove excess leaves and leave for 3-4 hours wrapped in damp paper in a cool place.
- Do not forget to stand the water before installing the bouquet. – chlorine will not benefit flowers.
- Protect your bouquets from the sun and drafts – put the vases in places comfortable for plants. Just not next to ripe fruit.
- To prolong the freshness of the bouquets, you can use and special store products (chrysalis, bud, etc.)). With their help, the bouquet can retain its beauty for up to 3-4 weeks.
- Temperature 18-19 degrees for bouquets it is more preferable than 22 degrees.
How to store flowers to keep them fresh
- The life of lilies and tulips is prolonged through the removal of anthers – that is, by preventing pollination.
- Carnations will last much longer if sugar is added to the water, dahlias prefer vinegar, and ordinary aspirin will help to keep the freshness of roses and chrysanthemums. As for the aster, it is better to lower it in a moderate solution of alcohol (no more than a spoon per 1 liter of water).
- Roses are fed with boiled or settled raw water with the addition of krisal, after breaking off the lower thorns and making long cuts (always obliquely!).
- Cloves require room temperature water with a dissolved aspirin tablet or chrysal.
- If your vase has a bouquet of irises, support them with ice cubes. Irises love chilled water. Kirzal also does not hurt. But do not overdo it with the amount of water, irises do not need “depth”.
- The juice that daffodils release into the water is harmful to other flowers. Therefore, when forming a general bouquet in a vase, do not forget to pre-defend the daffodils in a separate container for 24 hours.
- Tulips, too, will not refuse pieces of ice in the water. And to fix the stems and to avoid bending them in different directions, you can hold the flowers in a fixed position for 3-4 hours.
- Gerberas do not need a lot of water – a maximum of 4-6 cm from the bottom. Rub the stems with salt to maintain freshness.
- Dahlias stand best in a vinegar solution.
- As for the classic decorative greenery for a bouquet, citric acid in water and spraying from a spray bottle will not interfere with it. If the flowers from the bouquet have contraindications to acid, then treat the greens separately, and then return them to the general bouquet.
Life hack for storing flowers – video
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!