Our great-grandmothers also added decoctions of medicinal herbs to the water for bathing babies. Thus, they disinfected the water and solved many other issues. But there are a huge amount of medicinal herbs, which of them can be used for bathing newborns and in what situations? This is what our article is about.
The content of the article:
What herbs for bathing a newborn can be used when bathing a baby?
There is over 30 different herbs, which can bind harmful substances, thus disinfecting water and skin. However, not all of them are allowed to be used for bathing babies. What herbs are suitable for bathing a newborn? For the correct orientation in this matter you can see the composition of children’s cosmetics – powders, creams, lotions, skin milk.
Many manufacturers add extracts of time-tested medicinal herbs to creams, bath foams, shampoos:
- Succession – used in the treatment of many skin diseases. It relieves inflammation, reduces rashes, helps to cure seborrhea and gneiss milk crusts. However, bathing a newborn in succession can be carried out only once a week, since it greatly dries the skin;
- chamomile – has disinfecting properties, relieves irritation, stress. Chamomile is recommended for bathing newborn girls as a prophylaxis for gynecological diseases;
- Nettle – strengthens hair, softens the skin, and also has a tonic effect on the body;
- Lavender – has excellent sedatives. Its aroma relaxes well and improves well-being;
- Oak bark – helps in the treatment of skin rashes such as diaper rash or prickly heat;
- Valerian – perfect for active and excitable children. This broth has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, promotes wound healing;
- Peppermint – has soothing properties and is excellent for scrofula;
- St. John’s wort – helps with wound healing, helps with staphylococcal lesions and diathesis.
Herbs that are forbidden to use when bathing newborns:
Remember, if there are problems with the child’s health, then before using herbal baths, you must definitely consult a pediatrician! The doctor will tell you which plants are best for those or other diseases.
At what age can herbs be used for bathing babies?
It is possible to use herbal baths for bathing children, starting already from the second week of life – after the umbilical wound heals a little… While the child is small, you can bathe him in a small baby bath. If you bathe your baby in a large bathtub, then you should choose the correct concentration of herbal infusion.
Basic rules for the selection and brewing of herbs and fees for bathing newborns
Before using herbal baths consult a pediatrician… He will tell you: which plants are best to start with, what concentration of the decoction should be in the water.
- Remember – any natural products, including herbs, can cause allergies. It is best to start bathing with one type of herbs.… So you can easily determine which herbs are contraindicated for your child;
- When introducing a new herbal decoction, be sure to do a “skin test”… To do this, prepare a small amount of infusion and drip it onto the baby’s skin. If, within 35 minutes, a reaction in the form of peeling or redness appears on the skin, then you should not use this plant;
- Do not use more than 4 herbs in one broth… Also, do not experiment with combinations, it can have an unintended effect. If your baby tolerates baths with decoctions based on 1 herb well, then you can try using the fees.
Better to use bathing fees for newborns proven composition:
- Oregano, string, nettle;
- Chamomile, thyme, oats, string;
- Horsetail, nettles, oats and lungwort;
- Currant and birch leaves.
- If you don’t understand medicinal plants, collecting them yourself is not worth it… Buy them at the pharmacy – this is a guarantee that they are collected on time and not grown on contaminated soil;
- Herbs for bathing the baby is necessary brew about 2.5 hours before bathingso that they have time to infuse. It is best to use porcelain or enamel dishes for this. You can use no more than 30 grams of herb per bathroom, since a very saturated solution can provoke allergic reactions. For collection, you must take all the plants equally.
Rules for the use of herbs for bathing babies in water procedures
- Duration of the first bathing in the phytovanna should not exceed more than 5 minutes… Then the time can be gradually increased up to 15 minutes;
- Herbal baths cannot be used daily… Experts recommend using them no more than 3 times a week;
- You cannot change the grass every time you swim. Do a single herb course first, then take a short break. Now you can start the course using another plant;
- Do not use soap during herbal baths or add other means;
- Observe the child’s reaction carefully.… Maybe your baby is unique, instead of a calming effect, the procedure will excite the baby. In this case, you need to think about replacing the grass;
- Your child must love scented baths… If the baby refuses water procedures, is nervous and capricious, perhaps he does not like the smell of this plant;
- Make sure that the child does not swallow water while bathing;
- You should not quit the course of treatment with phyto-baths if there is no immediate positive effect. To achieve the result, you must perform minimum 5 procedures…
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!