The 41st week is already underway, and the little one is not in a hurry to the light of God … This situation is familiar to every 10th woman. And passive expectation of future fights is not always an ideal solution.
When stimulation of labor is really needed, is it not dangerous, and how it is carried out – we understand the nuances.
The content of the article:
- Indications for the stimulation of labor
- Why is stimulation dangerous for mother and baby?
- 3 methods of stimulating labor in the hospital
- 5 Ways to Stimulate Labor at Home
Indications for stimulation of labor – who decides to induce labor and when?
The term “labor induction” is used when labor at any stage of pregnancy has to be induced artificially.
It is worth noting that for the period from the 37th to the 42nd week, labor stimulation is not required if there is no indication for it.
Also, it is not needed in the case of a normal delivery.
Experts consider indications for the stimulation of labor activity …
- A truly post-term pregnancy.
- Identification of pathological changes in the placenta.
- Symptoms of any disorders dangerous to the health and life of the fetus.
- Late toxicosis (not always).
- Water flowed away earlier (given the high risk of infection through the cervix).
- Placental abruption.
- Certain chronic diseases of the mother. In particular, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, etc.
Naturally, the decision to stimulate labor is made by only a doctor and only after a complete examination, which will establish that further pregnancy can harm the child or mother.
It is worth noting that a post-term pregnancy is not just an extra week or two of discomfort for the mother, it is, first of all, the risk of bleeding in the mother, hypoxia in the baby, as well as weak labor, etc. Therefore, if the doctor decides to stimulate labor need to strictly follow directions!
- If there is any doubt about whether it is worth doing stimulation, you can contact another specialist to make sure that the decision was made correctly.
- You cannot rely solely on the date of the expected by the doctor (or on your date) of birth when making a decision. That is why this date and “estimated”. That is, the decision is made only after 40 obstetric weeks – and only according to indications.
Possible complications and consequences of labor stimulation – how is it dangerous for the mother and baby?
Stimulation of labor is far from an “ordinary” phenomenon. This is an extremely emergency option for childbirth, which, in fact, should be natural and without medical intervention.
Of course, any interference with the natural process cannot be beneficial – but, in most cases, stimulation does not cause significant harm.
However, it is worth mentioning the possible risks for the baby from using this procedure:
Risks for mom:
- Painful labor: stimulated labor is always stronger than normal labor – and with shorter breaks.
- It is impossible to move under the dropper, which complicates the general condition of the woman in labor.
- Stimulation does not work in all cases, and then you cannot do without a cesarean section.
3 methods of stimulating labor in the hospital
The conclusion – whether there is overdue – is done by specialists for a certain period (closer to the expected date of delivery) and solely based on research conducted:
- Evaluation of all parameters (size of the fetus, fluid composition, state of the placenta, etc.).
If, according to the results of the examination, a thickening of the fetal skull bones, lack of water, aging of the placenta, or other signs suggesting prolonged gestation are revealed, then an appropriate decision is made to artificially stimulate labor.
All methods are classified into 2 groups:
- Methods and means to accelerate the dilatation of the cervix.
- Methods and means for stimulating uterine contraction.
The most popular medical methods of inducing labor include the following:
- Amniotomy. In this case, through the cervix of the uterus, the specialist introduces a special instrument-hook and, having hooked the amniotic membrane, punctures the bladder, as a result of which the outpouring of water and the onset of contractions occurs. Opening the bladder also stimulates the production of prostaglandins, which help to increase labor. The method is often used, but it is considered risky due to the possible introduction of infection, especially if the method was never able to start the process of childbirth. Also, possible risks include a prolapse of the umbilical cord (here it will not be possible to do without emergency honey / intervention) and damage to blood vessels with subsequent bleeding. The procedure is absolutely painless.
- Oxytocin. A drug that is a synthesized analogue of a hormone produced by the pituitary gland. This drug in the form of tablets or solution is used to activate the contractile abilities of the muscles of the uterus in various cases – to stimulate labor or lactation, with postpartum hemorrhage, with weak labor. In order to avoid complications, the use of the drug is excluded with an abnormal position of the fetus, scars on the uterus, placenta previa, and also with a narrow mother’s pelvis. The dosage is usually selected specifically for each situation, taking into account the individual characteristics of the mother. Side effects and risks: increased labor pains, powerful contraction of the uterus (note – there is a risk of circulatory disorders in it and, as a result, baby’s hypoxia).
- Prostaglandins. This remedy is used when the cervix is simply not ready for disclosure, although the process of childbirth is already underway. These hormones contribute to the rapid “maturation” of the immature uterus for childbirth, stimulating smooth muscles, as well as stimulating the cervix, itself, and so on. When administering the drug, specialists strive to minimize the risk of the side effect of prostaglandins by using them in the form of a gel or suppositories. It is worth noting that tablets and solutions of the drug are often used to terminate pregnancy, and the risks of using the drug during childbirth, orally and intravenously, are quite high: excessive stimulation of uterine contractions (approx. – with all the consequences), nausea and vomiting, and so on.
Other drugs are known to stimulate labor, but they are rarely used.
It should be noted that drug stimulation is prescribed only in exceptional cases when there is a threat to the life of the mother or baby.
5 ways to stimulate labor at home – only on the recommendation of your doctor!
It is categorically not recommended to stimulate labor at home, unless an obstetrician-gynecologist is near you, or your doctor has given you appropriate recommendations.
Any actions that can lead to the approach of childbirth – only on the recommendation of your gynecologist!
The main “techniques” that are used at home to stimulate labor include …
- Stimulation of the nipples. This massage triggers the production of oxytocin, which in turn stimulates labor. That is why the early attachment of the baby to the breast after childbirth helps to accelerate the birth of the baby’s place and reduce the risk of bleeding. If you do not plan to give birth ahead of time, then you should be more careful with intimate relationships, if they are present at a later date (do not overdo it).
- Enema. The contraction of the intestines also promotes the release of prostaglandins.
- Proximity. The most famous way of approaching childbirth, but very risky in the later stages. It is worth saying that the contraction of the uterus and the production of oxytocin are guaranteed, and in the male semen there are prostaglandins that soften the cervix.
- “Up down”: Walking up and down the stairs can help a mom who is a little late in labor.
- Squats, long walks. Remember that excessive exertion will lead to placental abruption.
- Spicy dishes. Hot spices in food are stimulants of intestinal contractions, and after it – of the walls of the uterus.
In addition to the above, there are other ways to bring the moment of childbirth closer, including funny, dangerous and downright stupid.
Video: Natural Methods for Stimulating Labor
But it is important to remember the main thing:
- Do not use any means and methods to approach labor, if your due date has not yet arrived, and there are no such doctor’s recommendations. You risk harming yourself and your baby, and the consequences can be unpredictable.
- Fatigue from pregnancy is not a reason to stimulate labor!
- Any means to stimulate labor can turn into a tragedy if there are no qualified doctors nearby, if it takes a long time to go to the hospital, if the mother has a narrow pelvis and on her own (in an emergency) she cannot give birth, if the baby lies with her bottom down, and in other cases.
- It is strictly forbidden to stimulate childbirth on your own at home with medication, including suppositories and acupuncture.
If the results of the examination show that everything is in order with the little one, and the doctor recommends to wait a little longer, do not rush the little one – let him live in the belly. Give him time – he himself will decide when it is time to be born.
The site Bologny.ru reminds: this article will in no way replace the relationship between a doctor and a patient. It is informative in nature, it cannot be considered as a guide for self-treatment and diagnosis.
Pathological symptoms and some physiological conditions of a pregnant woman require the direct intervention of the attending physician!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!