The bathroom is, as you know, the “face” of the owner of the apartment. It is by the cleanliness of the bathroom that they judge the cleanliness and hard work of the beautiful half of a particular house. Of course, cleaning always takes a lot of time, but the bath must remain perfectly clean – even if there is a creative mess around.
True, to a large extent, the purity of the bath depends on the material from which it is made. If, for example, it is enough to wipe an acrylic bathtub with a regular sponge and soap, then sometimes it is not easy to wash a cast-iron bathtub …
The content of the article:
- 8 store-bought cleaning agents for cast iron bathtubs
- best folk remedies for cleaning baths
- Bath Tools and Cleaning Products
The 8 best store-bought cast iron bath cleaners – what to look for when buying?
Each cast-iron bath, as you know, is covered with enamel, which is applied inside this container by electrostatic method, after which the product is “baked” in a heat chamber.
It is with the cleaning of the enamel that the hostess has problems: the enamel on cast-iron baths quickly loses its appearance under the influence of external factors and in the absence of preventive measures.
Which bathtub is better to choose for the home – compare cast-iron, acrylic, steel bathtubs, etc.
What is a cast iron bathtub usually washed from?
- First of all, against limescale, which covers the enamel with a nasty color due to poor water and the presence of various impurities in it.
- Rust. The older the pipes, the more unpleasant rusty smudges there will be on the bathtub. It is worth noting that zirconium components were used in the production of enamel in old cast iron baths for greater strength and other properties, but, alas, they contribute to the faster formation of rust, corrosion and cracked scratches. In modern production processes, titanium salts are used, which ensure the smoothness of the product and high wear resistance.
- Fat. All the dirt that a person washes off the body, along with sweat and skin particles, settles on the bath machines. Naturally, with rare cleaning of the container, all this settles on the walls of the bath and gradually builds up on top of each other, as a result of which a serious and difficult-to-clean plaque forms.
It is also important to note that the enamel of old bathtubs is very, very fragile, and cleaning with aggressive means can quickly damage the coating, up to terrible “gaping” dark spots on the bottom.
Therefore, it is recommended to choose products carefully, and be sure to read the instructions, which should indicate the possibility of using the product specifically for enamel.
How do Russian buyers clean their cast-iron bathtubs?
Video: How to wash a bath quickly? How to make the bathtub snow white?
8 best store-bought cast iron bath cleaners
- White. It will help you restore your bathtub to its original whiteness and get rid of bacteria, grease stains, paint residues, mildew and mildew. True, it will not cope with either limescale or rusty stains. Therefore, it is recommended to use the product where a tough and emergency resuscitation of the container is not required – only “add gloss and return whiteness”. The product is diluted 1 to 2 and the container is washed with a hard sponge (not metal!). You can also pour 100 ml of whiteness into a bathtub full of water, shake it up and leave it overnight. It is categorically not recommended to use the product in its pure form! The average cost is about 60-80 rubles.
- Mister Muscle. It will help you disinfect the bath, clean it from limescale, dirt, grease. This composition penetrates very deeply (if used correctly) into the structure of the stains and quickly destroys them. Also, unlike whiteness, Mister Muscle is much easier and more enjoyable to use. Pros: the presence of a trigger, no abrasives. The average cost is about 200 rubles.
- Cif. One of the most popular cleaning products in general today. Sif is used with success both in the kitchen and in the bathroom. This tool instantly and effortlessly removes even old rust and powerful limescale, and all surfaces after it shine. We recommend Sif Ultra White, which has whitening properties. The average cost is about 180 rubles.
- Comet. Another ideal cleaner for cast iron bathtubs. Today it is available in convenient plastic bottles in the form of a gel, does not scratch the enamel, easily removes all the “troubles” from the surface of the bath, and at the same time all microbes. It is enough to apply the product and wait 10 minutes, then wash off the dirt with a sponge. The average cost is about 190 rubles.
- Sanox. A powerful product for the toughest dirt. We can say “heavy artillery” in household chemicals. Sanox allows you to wash everything that the previous products did not cope with. And whitened. Also, this gel will remove all bacteria and unpleasant odors. Remember that this product is very “vigorous”, and for thin enamel it is better to choose a product with a more gentle composition. The average cost is about 100 rubles.
- Sun Wedge. This product is free from phosphates and harsh abrasives and will be suitable for any bath. It has no nasty chemical smell, it is easy to apply with a trigger, quickly removes any dirt. Average cost – 170 rubles.
- Frosch. A fragrant eco-product based on fruit acids. Not suitable for heavily soiled baths, but ideal for prophylaxis and regular cleaning of the tank. The product is safe for people and can be easily washed off. The average cost is 250 rubles.
- Mr. Chister. A product with an effective composition that will help remove mold and mildew, destroy bacteria and odors, and wash off light dirt. Has a spray bottle, has a pleasant aroma. The average cost is 150 rubles.
How to clean a cast iron bath from rust and plaque at home – 7 best folk remedies for cleaning baths
Not everyone uses store-bought products when cleaning the house.
Some don’t want to spend their money on expensive household chemicals in principle, others don’t use it in principle, choosing safe home remedies. Still others are allergic to household chemicals, while the fourth simply suddenly ran out of all the “saving bottles” in the bedside table under the bathroom. In these cases, “grandmother’s means” are used.
Among all the popular recipes used for cleaning a cast iron bath, we have selected the most popular and effective ones for you:
- To remove rust. We take 1: 1 ammonia and ordinary hydrogen peroxide, mix and apply to areas with spots.
- We remove rust and yellowness. Mix salt and vinegar 1: 1 and lubricate problem areas with this paste. You can leave the mixture for several hours – they will not harm the coating.
- From limescale. Mix 1: 1 salt and soda, apply the mixture to problem areas for 2 hours, then wash off the already softened plaque with a regular sponge.
- From limescale. We dilute oxalic acid to a semi-liquid consistency, grease the plaque, wait 1.5 hours.
- For regular cleaning. We put ordinary soda on a sponge and, instead of a powder, process a bath with it. Simple, economical and without damage to the surface.
- From rust. Mix turpentine (35 ml) and salt (about 100 g), apply to the surface and clean.
- From rust and plaque. Mix 3 parts of mustard (dry) and 1 part of baking soda, clean as usual powder. Ideal for cleaning your bath once a week.
Video: How to clean a cast-iron bath from plaque at home?
Bathtub cleaning tools and products – what cannot be used to clean a cast-iron bathtub
If you inherited an old and rusty cast-iron bathtub along with an apartment (or, while you were on a business trip, your family brought the bathtub to the “easier to throw away” state), then you should remember what tools and tools are not recommended to use, so as not to damage the enamel:
- Chlorine products (unless you’re struggling with mold).
- Products with aggressive acids. They are used only “pointwise” on problem areas and do not leave for a long time.
- Products with abrasives… They can scratch the enamel, which in turn will be the beginning of the end of your bath. Rust and plaque will penetrate deeper through the scratches, the cracks will be more and more, and there it is not far to the very cast iron.
- Products with concentrated hydrochloric acid.
- GOI paste. It is not used for enamel polishing! If you decide to polish, then use a super soft car polish and a regular soft white cloth for the enamel. Polishing will take you 20-30 hours, but you will like the result.
When choosing tools for cleaning a cast iron bath, avoid …
- Hard brushes.
- Sponge and brushes with metal.
- Fiberglass sponges.
- Blades and other auxiliary tools.
Perfect option – moderately hard sponge or ordinary brush with a handle…
Also today housewives successfully use and melamine sponge – but, for all their magical effectiveness, they remain extremely toxic when melamine enters the body, so the question of their use remains controversial.
Prevention of contamination and plaque on cast iron baths
No one will argue that it is much easier to keep the whiteness of the bathtub if it is washed regularly and properly maintained. Moreover, if it is a cast-iron bathtub, which requires a special approach.
You can extend the life of your bath and postpone its replacement (installing liners, etc.) by simple manipulations called prevention:
- We rinse the bath with a mild agent every evening after everyone has washed… Be sure to dry it with a towel to exclude the appearance of rust.
- Twice a week – or at least once – we thoroughly wash the bath – with a serious remedy.
- We repair taps / mixers immediately upon detection of their malfunction. Leaking tap = deep rust.
- We use soft means and tools for cleaning.
- We monitor the temperature of the water. At temperatures over 65 degrees, cracks can form in the enamel.
- We quickly eliminate all cracks and chips – with the help of a specialist or independently – using a special putty and epoxy resin.
- We give preference to gel and pasty cleaning products… Powders contain abrasives that will scratch the enamel.
If you follow all the rules, you can extend the life of your favorite bath by 10-15 years.
However, there is always an option with an acrylic insert, which is placed directly into the cast-iron bath.
Bologny.ru website thanks you for your attention to the article! We will be very pleased if you share your feedback and tips in the comments below.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!