Myths and truths about ceramic pans – 5 secrets to choose
An irreplaceable attribute that is in every home in any kitchen is a frying pan. At first it was made of cast iron, then Teflon pans appeared. Ceramic pans are now popular.
Should you pay attention and make your choice in favor of a frying pan with a ceramic coating, and how to choose a ceramic frying pan? Read up at Bologny.
The content of the article:
Read also: What is the best frying pan for home – what do housewives choose?
Myths and truths about a ceramic frying pan, the pros and cons of a ceramic frying pan
- “Ceramic-coated pans are just as hazardous to health as Teflon pans.”
It is a myth. If the harmful effects on the body of Teflon (with significant heating it releases toxins) have already been proven, then in a ceramic frying pan everything is different. There is no polytetrafluoroethylene in the non-stick coating of a ceramic pan, and this plastic is present in Teflon pans; the production does not use perfluorooctanoic acid, which is toxic and carcinogenic. The ceramic coating of the frying pan, which prevents sticking, consists of natural ingredients: clay, stone, sand, therefore, dishes are considered environmentally friendly for human health.
- “In a frying pan with a ceramic coating, it is possible to cook food with almost no oils.” This is a proven fact. It is very good to cook food in a ceramic frying pan without adding fats and oils, which complies with the rules of a healthy and dietary diet. In a frying pan with a ceramic coating, it is good to prepare healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the whole family.
- “With each heating, the organic substituents, which make cooking without oil possible, evaporate and the non-stick effect disappears.”… It is a myth. A high-quality ceramic frying pan does not lose its properties over time – if, of course, it is properly looked after.
Let’s take a look at the strengths and weaknesses of a ceramic skillet.
Pros of a ceramic pan
- Dishwasher safe;
- It is allowed to wash with detergents;
- It is possible to use metal blades, devices;
- Dense structure (the surface of the frying pan has almost no pores), which avoids many scratches and damage, i.e. frying pans with a ceramic coating are resistant to wear and tear;
- It is possible to paint ceramics in different colors, so it is possible to choose a frying pan in the color palette you like, and not buy it in the usual black tone.
Cons of a ceramic coated pan
- It deteriorates from sudden temperature fluctuations (it is forbidden to put a heated pan under a stream of cold water);
- Comes into disrepair from prolonged soaking;
- Not suitable for induction hobs and hobs, as for such burners, dishes are used where there is a metal magnetic bottom, and in such pans it is made of ceramics.
- The high cost of ceramic pans (when compared with Teflon pans).
If you really buy pans with a ceramic coating, then stop your choice on well-known brands that give a guarantee for their products.
5 secrets to choosing the right ceramic pan
Still, how do you choose the right ceramic frying pan?
- Check out the manufacturing companies and their official representatives in your area.
- Explore the suggested ceramic-coated pans, carefully study their characteristics.
- Find out the price limits for this product, read consumer reviews.
- Ceramic-coated pans are made from cast iron, steel or cast aluminum.… Each case has its own nuances. If you choose a cast iron-based frying pan, then it will last a very long time, but you need to take into account that such a pan heats up slowly and is suitable for products that require long-term heat treatment. And for quick cooking, such as pancakes or chops, steel and aluminum pans are perfect. If you choose between cast and stamped ceramic pans, it is better to opt for cast ones, because they are more durable and of high quality.
- Focus on the thickness of the bottom. The service life of the ceramic pan depends on this indicator. If the thickness is less than 4 mm, then it will deform very soon and will be unsuitable for cooking. If it significantly exceeds 4mm, then, accordingly, it will weigh much more. The choice is yours.
Remember that even a super-quality ceramic pan requires proper maintenance. To make it serve you “faithfully” for many years, follow the rules of its maintenance specified in the instructions.
If your choice of a frying pan with a ceramic coating is successful (you get a branded high-quality frying pan), and you follow all the rules for its use, then your purchase – a safe, durable and reliable ceramic frying pan – will delight you and cook on it will only be a pleasure !
Now you know how to choose a ceramic skillet. Still have questions? Write a comment!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!