St John Lalande Church Blue Springs Mo
The St. John LaLande Church in Blue Springs, Missouri, is a historic Catholic parish. It was first established in 1872 and remains one of the oldest in the area. The parish is home to a large number of ministries, including those for youth, women, and senior adults. The church also offers football and volleyball games, as well as counseling sessions. It also has a large garden and a gazebo.
The parish is named after Jean de La Lande, a French lay missionary who went to Montgomery County, New York to accompany a Jesuit priest. On the way, he was captured and killed by the Mohawks. The parish has commemorated his memory by building the new St. John LaLande Church. The original building is now a gym and a place to worship.
The parish is named for a young French lay missionary, Jean de La Lande. He was a member of the French Congregation and traveled to Montgomery County, New York, with Father Isaac Jogues. The missionaries were attacked by the local Mohawks, and Jean died in the process. The parish was then known as the North American Martyrs. The new church is home to more than one hundred families.
The parish had outgrown the old structure. During the 1950s, the parish population had grown so much that the church had to build a new building. The new church would seat 660 people. The bell tower at the front of the church was dedicated to Msgr. John Biter, a priest with the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph. The parish census shows that there were around 900 families. In 1976, the present church was completed and the first Mass was celebrated. In 1972, the church was dedicated.
The new church was dedicated on Dec. 11, 1873. In 1949, the parish was named for Jean de La Lande, a French lay missionary from Dieppe, France. He accompanied a Jesuit priest to Montgomery County, New York. He was captured and killed by the Mohawks. The name of the parish was changed in honor of Jean. In 1908, a new church was built in Blue Springs.
In 1976, St. John LaLande Parish broke ground for a 9,700 square foot expansion. It was dedicated in February 1977. Its expansion included a vestibule, office, parish hall, kitchen, and nursery. After the expansion, the church celebrated its Golden Jubilee. Today, the parish has a vibrant Catholic community. Its history is rich and its heritage is rooted in its history.
The parish was named after Jean de La Lande, a French lay missionary who accompanied a Jesuit priest to Montgomery County, New York. In 1869, he was captured by the Mohawks and killed by his companions. In 1905, Jean de LaLande’s family was able to rebuild the parish. The church’s first school was dedicated in the same year, and in 1969, it had about 900 families.
The St. John LaLande Church in Blue Springs, Missouri, was built in 1876. Its bell tower was erected in memory of Msgr. John Biter, a priest of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, had left a bequest for the parish in his will. In 1976, there were 900 families in the parish, and the first Mass was celebrated on Dec. 11. In Feb. 1977, the new church was dedicated. The former building was remodeled and turned into a gym.
After the construction of the new church, the community was renamed to St. John LaLande. The parish was named after Jean de La Lande, a French lay missionary who accompanied a Jesuit priest to Montgomery County, New York. In 1876, his parish had more than 900 families. In 1956, a census showed that there were 550 permanent families. On Dec. 11, the church was dedicated and the former building was used as a gym.
The parish continues to grow and flourish. In 2013, the parish was home to 1,238 families. The parish is still vibrant. There are 248, pre-K through eighth-grade students at the school. In addition, there are 58 children in the Early Childhood Program and 134 students in the Religious Education Program. Last year, about 600 people attended the Litury of the Mass. The church’s mission is to serve the community.