The boundaries of St. Teresa’s Parish include Mundy Pond and Thorburn, as well as Freshwater Road. The first pastor was Rev. Harold A. Summers who served from 1930-1952. Randall J. Greene (1952-1956), and Patrick Mann (1959) were other notable pastors. Then, in 1969 and 1980, the church was led by Pastor Thomas Kelly. He was followed by Father Douglas Stamp from 1990 to 1996.
In the early 2000’s, St. Teresa’s Parish was taken over by the Archbishop St. John’s. On October 21, 1956, the Archdiocese Saint John’s officially recognized the Redemptorists as part of its Archdiocese. The first Redemptorist priest was Rev. Patrick Mann. In 1959, the Redemptorists of St. Teresa’s Parish was incorporated. Today, the parish is administered as any other secular parish in the St.John’s Archdiocese.
Archbishop Skinner invited Redemptorists on October 21, 1956 to take over St. Teresa’s Parish. Under Fr. Patrick Mann. In 1961, the Newfoundland Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer was formed by the Redemptorists of St. Teresa’s. The church is now administered by the Archdiocese of Saint John’s.
Established in 1980, St. Teresa’s Parish Council. It was composed of a Steering Committee and six open committees. Then, it added the Apostolic Committee and Finance Committee. Later, the Property and Mission Club joined the Parish Council. The Steering Committee and the Finance and Property Committees of St. Teresa’s parish also included the Knights of Columbus and the St. Vincent de Paul Society.
The parish council of St. Teresa’s Parish is responsible for the day-to-day management of the parish. The Steering Committee consists of six members who are elected by the Steering Committee. Other committees include Education Committees, Social Committees, Finance Committee, and Property Committee. A number of auxiliary organizations also serve the parish.
After a week-long retreat, the Parish Council of St. Teresa’s Parish was established in 1978. The parish council includes six other committees, in addition to the Steering Committee. The main functions of the council are the Liturgical Committee and the Education Committee, as well as the Social Committee, Apostolic, and Finance committees. During the retreat, the Steering and Property Committees are also responsible for the finances of the parish.
Both Catholics and non-Catholics can attend the weekly Masses at the parish. The Sunday morning Mass is followed by the Sacrament of Anointing during the week. In the 1960s, four councils made up the parish council. One of these was the Spiritual Renewal Committee. The Apostolic committee was established in 1976.
Since over 40 years, the parish council has been an integral part of the parish. Its members are responsible for ensuring that the parish’s community continues to flourish. The council also promotes social justice and is responsible for raising funds for the local community. The parish has a long history of giving back to the community, helping the homeless and the poor.
During the summer, the parish council held a week-long retreat for the parish’s parishioners. The Steering Committee, six committees, six open committees and the Liturgical Committee, Social Committee, Spiritual Renewal Committee and Finance and Property Committee were all represented. There is a mission club for the St. Teresa’s Parish.
The community’s parishioners also participated in the development and building of the community. The school was constructed in a private home in 1899. In 1906, Archbishop Michael F. Howley and the parishioners visited the school and a small three-room building was built in the parish. In the Freshwater neighborhood, a concrete-basement chapel was built in 1936. Construction of a new church, as well as a monastery, began in 1944.