Child’s age – 3rd week (two full), pregnancy – 5th obstetric week (four full).
Most often, a woman finds out about her pregnancy just at a period of 5 weeks. 5 obstetric week is 3 weeks from conception, 5 obstetric week from the beginning of the last menstruation.
Let’s talk about the main signs and sensations at week 5.
The content of the article:
Signs of pregnancy in the 5th week
This period is usually accompanied by all the first signs of an incipient pregnancy. It is during this period that the expectant mother realizes that menstruation has not come. In addition to the absence of menstruation, a woman may experience a number of changes in well-being associated with hormonal changes in the body.
The signs include:
- Actually, the main symptom will be the very delay in menstruation.
- Weakness and drowsiness
- Morning sickness and food sensitivity
- Aggravated perception of smells,
- Unexpected food cravings, possible interest in foods that were previously disliked,
- Pains of unknown origin and heaviness below,
- Breast enlargement, chest pain,
- Change in vaginal discharge
- Positive pregnancy test result.
Outwardly, no changes are noticeable yet, however, looking closely at her body, a woman can note what has begun darkening of the nipple halo, an increase in the mammary glands. In addition, may start to darken the line on the bellygoing down from the navel.
The rest of the signs of pregnancy at 5 weeks are more related to the woman’s well-being.
Feelings of a mother in the 5th week
This week brings a whole range of new sensations to a woman, but not all of them can be pleasant.
Emotions and behavior
In the emotional sphere, the first changes are observed. In addition to anxiety about the onset of pregnancy and anxiety for the unborn child, one can also note increased anxiety and emotionality, which will accompany a woman throughout the entire period of waiting for the baby. Changes in behavior are associated with changes in hormonal levels and with the beginning of the restructuring of the body.
At 5 weeks, the woman begins to experience slight discomfort. From the usual rhythm of life, fatigue sets in faster. In the morning, ailments are common – headache, nausea, and even vomiting. In general, in the first trimester, nausea can be provoked by anything: the taste of previously favorite foods and products, strong or strong odors, and sometimes even the sight of certain dishes or thoughts about them. In order to cope with nausea, a woman can temporarily stop cooking herself. Let someone close to you take on this responsibility: husband, mother or grandmother. This will help you get through the first trimester more easily.
For a period of 5 weeks, if all is well, there are no contraindications for intimacy… However, any uncharacteristic discharge, pain or pulling sensation in the lower abdomen should be a signal to refuse intimacy and immediately seek medical attention. It is the early dates that are dangerous times for spontaneous interruption.
- The woman’s breasts begin to become sensitive;
- Now it is necessary to more carefully choose a position for sleeping and for sex;
- Touching the chest, and especially the nipples, is sometimes painful and unpleasant.
In order to avoid embarrassing situations, tell your man about these changes in your body.
Whims of a pregnant woman
At 5 weeks, a woman is faced with the first manifestations of the so-called “whims of a pregnant woman.” This selective appetite, aversion to certain foods, the emergence of unusual food preferences…
Read more about changes in taste during pregnancy.
As a rule, many expectant mothers “pulls for salty“. Many women also report an irresistible urge to eat a chocolate bar. Addiction to sweets is associated with increased fatigue, and the bar of chocolate supplies the body with “fast” carbohydrates, which help restore the balance of power for a woman in an interesting position.
The condition of the mucous membranes
One of the most important changes in the early stages – increased secretion of the mucous membranes of the body. Almost everyone talks about increased salivation, many note nasal congestion without viral infections.
Runny nose of pregnant women can begin as early as 5 weeks and continue throughout the pregnancy. This inconvenience will have to endure, because vasoconstrictor drugs are highly discouraged for the expectant mother, especially in the early stages.
Here’s what the women are saying on the forums:
Looks like pregnant again! Menses did not come, then in laughter, then in tears throws. It remains to make a test, I sent my husband to the pharmacy. He ran happy and proud. I hope that I will be able to please him
Hurray, two stripes! How long have we been waiting for this! Yesterday my mother-in-law noticed that I began to lean on lightly salted cucumbers, winked at me, they say, soon to wait for my grandson. I myself did not even pay attention. But I decided to do the test. How happy my husband and I were with these long-awaited two stripes! Tomorrow I’ll run to the residential complex to get registered, let the doctors observe, so that everything is in order.
I join the club of pregnant women! For several days I was not myself – sometimes my head hurts, sometimes it’s dizzy, I want to sleep all the time. At first I thought because of the heat. Then I decided to do the test. I bought 2 at once for reliability: on one the second strip is pale, and the other in the morning I made – a bright strip, as expected! I immediately bought myself folic acid, next week I will choose a time, I will go to the doctor.
As I dreamed about the weather, so it comes out! Now I have 5 weeks, my head is a little dizzy, I feel nauseous in the morning, but not much. I will now combine the baby and pregnancy.
Yesterday in the shop in front of the fruit display all saliva spit out. I bought myself a kilogram of cherries and ate at home alone! Then she regained consciousness and went to the pharmacy for a test. So take it into your ranks, apparently, I have about 5 weeks.
What happens in the mother’s body in the 5th week?
This is the very period when the expectant mother learns about her new status. If the news brings positive emotions to the woman, then this has the best effect on the development of the baby.
The first hormonal changes occur in the woman’s body: the corpus luteum of the ovary continues to produce estrogenic compounds and progesterone, due to which pregnancy is supported and which contribute to the cessation of ovulation. The fetal membrane secretes chorionic gonadotropin – This is a specific hormone that is produced in a woman’s body only during the period of bearing a child, and it is on its definition that home express pregnancy tests are based, as well as laboratory tests to determine pregnancy.
If there is the slightest danger or suspicion of an ectopic pregnancy, the gynecologist should prescribe a blood test for hCG. Such an analysis makes it possible to conclude with confidence whether the fetus is developing in the uterus or whether it is fixed in the fallopian tube. In the normal course of pregnancy, the hCG content in a woman’s blood doubles daily., with an ectopic – the level of its content is reduced.
Decreased levels of hCG – a reason for the appointment of a more serious examination, but not a reason for panic. A woman needs to remember how important her positive emotional attitude is for her unborn child.
Fetal development in the 5th week
This week for the embryo is a new stage in development. It is from the 5th week that doctors begin to call it an embryo. Significant changes occur in the structure of the embryo: in form it now rather resembles a cylinder 1.5-2.5 mm long.
Your unborn baby is developing the rudiments of internal organs:
- airways are laid,
- the formation of the nervous system begins in its embryonic state – the neural tube.
At this time, a woman you need to take folic acid for the correct formation of the nervous system.
- The most interesting thing that happens at this time with the embryo is laying of gonoblasts… These are the cells from which eggs and sperm cells will subsequently form.
Ultrasound, photo of the embryo and photo of the woman’s abdomen
Video: What happens in the 5th week of waiting for the baby?
Video: ultrasound, 5 weeks
Recommendations and advice for the expectant mother
As a rule, at 5 weeks, a woman already knows that she is pregnant. She was already worried about the missed period and, most likely, did a home test. After making sure that there were two strips on the test, the woman decided to keep the baby.
What do you need to pay attention to now?
- At week 5 it is necessary to visit the antenatal clinic, where the doctor, after the examination, will be able to confirm your assumptions, register you, prescribe a number of necessary tests, and also prescribe vitamins for pregnant women.
- It is impossible to delay the visit to the antenatal clinic, especially if your work conditions are hazardous. The doctor will give a certificate according to which the expectant mother must be transferred to another work place with lightweight work…
- Before you go to the doctor collect all health information from your husband and his relatives. Your gynecologist will ask about past childhood illnesses (especially rubella), about the current state of health of your child’s father.
- Due to the changed taste preferences, the expectant mother should forget about any diets and eat according to your appetite… In case of nausea in the morning, it is recommended to eat without getting out of bed. In general, it is better to eat more often, but in small portions. This will help not to overload the stomach and avoid discomfort.
- In the event of early toxicosis, in no case do not self-medicate, but tell the doctor about your problems.
- The first trimester is dangerous with the possibility of miscarriage. Be attentive to the slightest change in well-being, to the appearance of pulling sensations or pain in the lower abdomen, to smearing discharge from the genital tract.
- Observe the daily routine, rest more
- As soon as you find out about your pregnancy, give up tobacco and alcohol… Bad habits have a detrimental effect on the formation of the nervous system and internal organs of the child, which occurs in the first trimester. Try to stay in rooms where people smoke as little as possible.
Previous: Week 4
Next: Week 6
Choose any other in the pregnancy calendar.
Calculate the exact due date in our service.
How did you feel in the fifth week? Share with us!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!