With delays in menstruation, every woman begins to worry, think about the reason, mistake the symptoms of PMS for pregnancy. If a woman is regularly sexually active and does not use contraceptives, she, of course, suspects that she is becoming pregnant. The use of pregnancy tests, even at the earliest possible time, makes it easier for a woman, allowing early pregnancy to be determined at home, or to be sure of its absence.
The content of the article:
Causes of delayed menstruation in women
But it often happens that the test for determining pregnancy shows a negative result, and menstruation, nevertheless, does not come for several days …
Read the article if you suspect that there is a pregnancy, but the test does not show.
Here we will talk about what could be the reason for the delay if pregnancy is ruled out.
The most common reason women of childbearing age go to their gynecologist is the absence of menstruation for several days. And the most common reason for this condition, of course, is the onset of pregnancy, which can be detected during the next testing or when examining a woman for an ultrasound scan.
Speaking about a delay in menstruation, one cannot but say about a woman’s menstrual cycle in general., which normally has a regular schedule, with a frequency of 28-30 days. Every woman knows the length of her menstrual cycle, as well as when approximately her next period will begin. On the days of approaching menstruation little delay in one or two days, it is more often not perceived by a woman as an alarming signal – we know that many factors can influence this, slightly increasing or shortening the menstrual cycle. Every woman also knows how her body behaves throughout the entire menstrual cycle – during ovulation, in the middle of the cycle, she may experience pain in the lower abdomen, mucous discharge from the vagina is observed, and a week before the onset of menstruation, her chest tingles or hurts. spotting from the vagina may occur.
If the test result is negative and your period does not occur, you may have become pregnant., but you tested too early. If recently a woman has observed deviations from the usual “picture” of the menstrual cycle, which are completed by a delay in menstruation, it is necessary to use tests to determine pregnancy, if the result is negative, after a few days, repeating the procedure using tests from other companies.
Delayed menstruation in the absence of pregnancy – 11 reasons
A woman’s body is a very delicate “mechanism” that is skillfully controlled by the main hormones – estrogens and progesterone. The reason for the delay in menstruation against the background of the absence of pregnancy can be hormonal imbalance… Many factors can lead to this reason, which must be identified by the doctor, prescribing the appropriate treatment.
Often, menstrual irregularities, prolonged absence of menstruation and an irregular menstrual cycle are an indicator that serious problems have arisen in the woman’s body that require professional qualified medical assistance.
- Delayed menstruation in a woman after childbirth – a frequent and physiologically explainable phenomenon. After the baby is born, the mother’s body produces a special hormone for the start and continuation of lactation – prolactin, which postpones the onset of menstruation for a certain period. Most often, in a nursing mother, menstruation does not occur throughout the entire period of breastfeeding, much less often – menstruation occurs even during breastfeeding, a couple of months after the birth of the baby. If a woman does not breastfeed, then the normal menstrual cycle after childbirth will return to normal within one and a half to two months.
- One of the most common causes of delayed menstruation in women is endocrine system pathology, or, as gynecologists say, “ovarian dysfunction“. This is a very broad concept, which includes both disorders of the thyroid gland and various diseases of the endocrine system – diagnosed or latent. In order to exclude pathologies of the endocrine system and diseases of the thyroid gland, a woman is referred for consultation and examination to an endocrinologist, an ultrasound examination of the uterus, thyroid gland, ovaries, adrenal glands, and brain tomography are performed.
- Diseases of the female genital organs can also cause a delay in menstruation – most often it is endometriosis, fibroids, adenomyosis, various inflammatory processes in the uterus and appendages, oncological diseases of the cervix, uterine body… With an excluded pregnancy, the gynecologist, first of all, will prescribe an examination aimed at identifying these diseases in a woman and their timely treatment. After the elimination of these pathologies, the woman’s menstrual cycle, as a rule, is restored. The most common reason for a delay in menstruation in a woman from all of the above diseases is inflammatory processes that affect the ovaries themselves.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome belongs to the most common causes of delayed menstruation in women of childbearing age. As a rule, this disease is accompanied by external signs of pathology – a woman may have excessive male-type hair growth (“mustache”, hair on the abdomen, back, arms, legs), oily hair and skin. But additional signs are indirect, they do not always indicate the presence of polycystic ovary, therefore, an accurate diagnosis is made only after passing a special medical examination – an analysis of the level of testosterone (“male hormone”) in the blood. If a woman has a confirmed diagnosis of polycystic ovary disease, then she is prescribed special treatment, since this disease leads not only to menstrual irregularities, but also to infertility due to the lack of ovulation.
- Overweight, obesity – the reason why there may be a violation of the menstrual cycle and delayed menstruation in a woman. In order to restore the normal function of the endocrine and reproductive system, a woman must engage in weight loss. Typically, when weight is reduced, the menstrual cycle is restored.
- Menstrual irregularities and delayed periods can lead to long and exhausting diet, fasting, as well as underweight from a woman. As you know, models suffering from anorexia, having brought themselves to exhaustion, lose the ability to bear children – their menstrual function stops.
- Another reason for a delay in menstruation, not associated with diseases, is hard physical work and the physical exhaustion of a woman. For this reason, not only the menstrual cycle suffers, but also the general state of health, further causing the woman to have various disorders of well-being, diseases. Such disorders can also lead to excessive loads in women who are involved in professional sports, are in extreme stress, testing their body for strength.
- Heavy acclimatization women with a sudden change of places can also cause a delay in menstruation.
- The reason for the delay in menstruation can be the individual reaction of the woman’s body to taking certain medications, as well as oral contraceptives… This happens quite rarely, but in any case, only a doctor can make a final diagnosis, assessing the patient’s condition, comparing all the factors of her life and health.
- Weakened as a result long-term illnesses, chronic stress, nervous shocks, severe injuries a woman’s body can also allow failures in the mechanisms of the menstrual cycle, causing a delay in menstruation.
- Sometimes in women, due to disorders of the endocrine system and hormonal levels, a pathological condition occurs, which doctors call “early menopause“. Such disorders can occur in women in their 30s and even at an earlier age. Patients with an early onset of menopause need a thorough examination and the appointment of timely treatment, since this pathology inhibits fertility, leading to infertility, and worsen the standard of living of a young woman.
What threatens a woman with a delay in menstruation?
If the delay in menstruation in a woman was observed once, and there were obvious reasons for this – for example, severe stress or excessive stress, serious illness or injury, then it’s too early to talk about any pathology. But in any case, menstrual irregularities signal some more serious irregularities in the body, which can manifest as serious illnesses and consequences.
Self-medication and self-diagnosis with a delay in menstruation is not worth doing – for this you need to consult a doctor.
The very same delay in menstruation does not pose any danger to women’s health. But those violations or pathologies that caused menstrual irregularities can be dangerous. Some of the causes are easily eliminated, and this does not require long-term treatment or drug correction. But there are diseases that are very dangerous for a woman’s health, and in some cases, pose a threat to her life, and a frivolous attitude towards such a symptom as a delay in menstruation can turn into very serious consequences in the future.
The regularity of menstruation plays a huge role for a woman., as a guarantee of successful conception and bearing of a child. The regularity of menstruation plays a huge role for a woman, as the key to a successful conception and bearing of a child.
A regular cycle is not only the first and necessary step towards successful pregnancy planning, but also the path to a healthy conception, a normal pregnancy and, ultimately, to the birth of a healthy baby. Therefore, the correction of the menstrual cycle, if it proceeds with deviations, should become a mandatory goal of any woman planning a pregnancy.
In order for menstruation to proceed regularly, it is necessary to restore the balance of hormones, vitamins, microelements.
In addition, a woman who has a regular sex life, with constant monitoring of the duration of menstrual cycles, can easily “calculate” the onset of pregnancy in the early stages, without even resorting to tests, or notice malfunctions in the body that require examination and medical supervision.
If you liked our article and you have any thoughts about this, share with us! It is very important for us to know your opinion!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!