How to use newborn powder
A wide variety of cosmetic products for the care of baby’s delicate skin, which are on the market today, make even experienced mothers get confused. What can we say about young mothers who for the first time faced such a difficult task – caring for a baby? Today we will talk about the most common and very necessary tool – baby powder. How to use it correctly?
The content of the article:
What is baby powder? The main purpose of baby powder
Baby powder Is a powdery cosmetic product that is used to powder the skin of babies with diaper rash, and as prevention of diaper rash… The powder contains absorbent substances – zinc oxide, talc, starchmay include moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, bactericidal substances, fragrances…
Intertrigo in a baby, this is an inflammation of the skin in the folds, which is caused by prolonged wetting, severe sweating, friction due to improper, uncomfortable diapers or underwear.
What to choose – baby cream or powder?
In the house where the baby is growing, you must have both baby cream and baby powder. But it makes no sense to apply both cream and powder to the baby’s skin at the same time – there will be no sense from such “neighborhood”. Mom should always be guided by her feelings when to use each of these tools. If the baby’s skin is irritated, there is redness on it, but at the same time it is not wet, there is no diaper rash on it – you can use baby diaper cream… Baby powder should be applied when the baby’s skin gets wet under the diaper, it appears foci of diaper rash in the folds, very strong redness. The powder can quickly dry the baby’s skin, prevent urine and feces from affecting the baby’s skin, and at the same time, allows the skin to breathe.
How to use baby powder correctly? Instruction for young parents
It must be borne in mind that the powder is a finely dispersed powdery substance, and with awkward movements it can become very dusty – there is the risk that the baby inhales the powder… Currently, the attention of parents can be directed to a new type of cosmetic product – liquid talcum powder or liquid powder, which has the properties of both a cream and a powder, it is much more convenient and safer to use it for a small child.
- While changing your baby cleanse his skin with water, oil, sanitary napkins…
- After this procedure the skin must be thoroughly patted with a dry diaper or napkin, the child must be held in the air without panties so that his skin dries very well. Keep in mind that baby powder should never be applied to wet baby skin – it “grabs” in the folds of the skin, forming dense lumps, which in themselves can irritate and rub delicate skin.
- Apply a small amount of powder to the palm of your hand. The powder needs to be rubbed between the palms., and then run your palms over the baby’s skin – where diaper rash may appear. Powder can be applied to the skin with a cotton ball – but this will dust. In addition, mother’s affectionate touch is much more pleasant for the child! It is not recommended to pour the powder from the jar directly onto the child’s skin – there is a risk of spraying the powder in the air, and an excessive amount of the product may get on the skin.
- Parents should keep in mind that the next time they change their baby’s clothes, the powder that was applied last time must be washed off from his skin… This can be done with napkins, oil, but clean water is best. You can alternate the use of powder and baby cream under a diaper – so the baby’s skin will not dry out excessively, and irritations on it will pass much faster.
- Parents can decide for themselves when it is no longer necessary to use powder. If the baby’s skin is completely healthy, it has no red, weeping areas of diaper rash appear, then you do not need to use the powder.
- Few people know – but baby powder also has its own shelf life… An open jar of baby powder must be used within 12 months (this shelf life of baby powder is stated by most manufacturers). And, for example, baby powder from the Nasha Mama company in an open jar can be used for two years.
Important rules and tips for using baby powder
- Baby powder for baby skin care can be used from the very birth of the child, it is completely safe if used according to the rules.
- If there are any wounds on the baby’s skin, a non-healing umbilical wound, peeling and skin problems, about the use of powder or creams better talk to a pediatrician…
- If the baby has allergy on any powder, or if his skin dries very much from factory powders, parents can use a home remedy – corn starch… It is necessary to use this tool in the same way as with factory powder.
- The powder is actively used for baby’s skin care in the first month of his life… In summer, a child under one year old also sweats a lot, and powder may be needed to care for a baby and an older age.
- For the prevention of diaper rash with powder, it is necessary to process not only the inguinal folds and the butt, but also all other natural folds – popliteal, axillary, cervical, behind the ear, inguinal folds.
- If the baby is in disposable diapers, the parents should not sprinkle liberally on the skin baby and the surface of the diaper with baby powder, otherwise, when the porous material of the diaper is clogged, the absorbability of the diaper will be impaired, and inside it will remain moist, which is bad for baby’s skin.
- When applying powder, you must rub it well with your hands on the baby’s skinso that no lumps remain.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!