How to wash and bleach white sneakers
White sneakers look neat and stylish as long as they stay white. The question of how to clean white sneakers arises within a few days after their purchase. Some people refuse to wear white shoes altogether due to the fact that they get dirty quickly.
In this article, we will tell you how to bleach sneakers from different materials using folk methods.
The content of the article:
- Typical stain types and 8 removers
- Machine wash machine
- How to bleach sneakers from fabric, leather, suede
- How to whiten white soles
Shoes get wet – how to make shoes waterproof?
Common types of stains and stains on white sneakers – 8 natural remedies and methods for removing
Before you start choosing the right product, you need to determine the type of contamination. In the autumn, this is most often mud. Due to constant contact with puddles and damp earth, dirt eats into the material and outsole, which makes the shoe look gray.
Also, sneakers are prone to dirt such as yellow stains, soap streaks, grass stains and sweat odors.
The bleaching method must be selected based on the type of dirt, as well as the material from which the shoes are made. You can remove dirt without resorting to buying expensive products.
There are 8 effective whitening methods:
- Toothpaste will quickly remove stubborn dirt. The method is suitable for both natural and artificial leather, and for fabric products.
- A mixture of vinegar, laundry detergent, peroxide and lemon juice. The plus is that these products are good at fighting yellow spots, soap stains and an unpleasant odor. But there is also a minus – peroxide has a destructive effect on fabric fibers, so this method is only suitable for artificial leather shoes.
- Potato starch and milk – the best option for bleaching suede and nubuck shoes. The advantages of this method are that it is not aggressive. Cons – only suitable for shallow dirt.
- Laundry and tar soap… The solution works best on fabric sneakers, but can also be used on leather goods.
- Fresh onions… This method involves rubbing leather shoes with onions. Plus means – it removes not only dirt, but also yellow spots. The downside is an unpleasant smell.
- Milk mixed with egg white – Another option for leather sneakers. The product has both a cleansing and a whitening effect.
- Table vinegar. To use this method, you need to dilute 1 tsp. vinegar in a glass of water. This will help remove dust and streaks from suede and nubuck shoes. The only downside is that the product is not suitable for deep dirt.
- A solution of ammonia and baby soap. Soap will help get rid of dirt, and ammonia will help bleach your shoes. The main advantage of the method is that it is suitable for shoes made of any material.
Rating of the best shoe care products
Video: How to clean and bleach white sneakers or sneakers
Hand wash white sneakers – instructions
Deformation, yellow spots, soap streaks – all these are the consequences of an unsuccessful wash.
To avoid this, you need to follow a number of rules, starting with the selection of funds and ending with proper drying.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
- First you need to choose a detergent. It is worth giving preference to laundry or tar soap. If you have a bleaching powder, that will work too.
- Add your chosen product to warm water, place your shoes in there and leave to soak for a while. Please note that only well-stitched shoes can be soaked. If the sneakers are glued, then it is better to skip the soaking step.
- After half an hour, pour out the dirty water and prepare a new clean solution. Use a toothbrush or sponge to scrub the soiled areas thoroughly. If yellow spots appear on the shoes, use lemon juice. If the dirt cannot be washed off with soap, use peroxide.
- After washing, very thoroughly wash your sneakers under running water to prevent soap stains.
Now we figured out how to clean white sneakers. Now you need dry your shoes properly… If dried incorrectly, sneakers lose their bulk, so you need to approach the final stage with all responsibility.
First, dry the outside and inside of your shoes thoroughly with a dry towel. Then fill the shoe back to back with toilet paper or dry tissues.
Attention! Do not use newspapers as they stain your shoes.
It is best to dry your shoes outdoors. But, if it is damp and cold outside, then a warm place in the apartment is also suitable. When drying your shoes, do not use batteries, heaters, etc.
notethat the entire process described can only be applied to textile products.
Video: How to wash and clean white sneakers
Can white sneakers be washed in an automatic machine – instructions on how to do it correctly
If you don’t have time to wash your shoes by hand, you can resort to washing in an automatic machine.
However, not all sneakers can be washed this way, so first read the instructions:
- First, you need to carefully examine the shoes. Everything must be properly stitched. If there are glued elements or damage on it, then it is better to refuse the washing machine and clean it locally. Also, leather and suede products must not be washed in an automatic machine.
- If the shoe is suitable for washing, remove any debris from the sole in advance. It is also advisable to get laces and insoles. You put them in the washing machine too, but the bottom line is that individually they wash better.
- Set the temperature on the typewriter to 30-40 degrees, then select the mode. Usually select the mode for sportswear. But, if this is not the case, select the “Delicate” or “Hand wash” mode.
- Add bleach powder. If powder is used for colored clothes, you need to sift it so that there are no multi-colored crystals left.
- Avoid automatic spinning. This can lead to the loss of its original shape. Dry your sneakers in the same way as after hand washing.
note, on some products, manufacturers place all the data on the washing process. They can be found on the label inside the shoe.
Best home remedies for ice protection – which shoes won’t slip on ice?
How to safely bleach white sneakers made of fabric, natural and artificial leather, suede
To safely bleach your sneakers, you need to know what material they are made from. Each material needs an individual approach.
There are many methods for bleaching fabric sneakers.
- Try the baking soda and lemon juice method to get started. It works well for stubborn dirt spots. Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda over the stains, then squeeze the lemon juice over the top. After the mixture stops sizzling, rinse your shoes well with water.
- You can safely whiten fabric specimens using a solution of laundry and tar soap. Apply soap to dirty areas, leave for a few minutes, then wipe the shoes with a sponge and rinse thoroughly with water.
Natural and artificial leather
The first thing to remember is that leather shoes cannot be soaked or washed in an automatic machine. With prolonged exposure to moisture, the skin will become rough and yellow spots will appear.
- To avoid damaging your sneakers, dampen a sponge or soft toothbrush, lather it with liquid soap or shampoo, and lightly wipe the shoes.
- If dirt remains, you can safely use milk with starch for shoes made of natural and artificial leather. This method is not aggressive at all, so it can be safely used for leather sneakers. Mix the ingredients in equal proportions and apply the resulting gruel for 10 minutes. Then wipe your shoes with a damp towel. You can also use toothpaste.
Suede shoes must not be soaked through. Only dry or wet cleaning can be used.
- Rubbing glycerin on your white suede sneakers to fix stains.
- For suede and nubuck shoes, you can use a mixture of milk and soda. To do this, dissolve 1 tbsp in a mug of milk. soda and wipe the sneakers with the resulting solution. When they are dry, brush them with a special suede brush.
- Use talcum powder for dry cleaning. To do this, sprinkle talcum powder evenly on the sneakers, then clean them with a special brush.
How to bleach white sneaker soles – 7 best remedies and ways
The sole is the most problematic area due to constant contact with the ground, but with some methods it can also be bleached.
The most effective methods for whitening soles:
- Acetone… Rinse the soleplate with tap water and wipe dry. Then soak a cotton swab in acetone and thoroughly wipe the sole.
- Rubbing alcohol… It can be used if acetone is not available.
- White. Dilute the whiteness with water in an equal ratio and put the sneakers in the water for 2-3 hours. The water should only cover the sole of the shoe.
- Eraser. This will help if there are spots or streaks of stubborn dirt on some areas of the sole.
- Lemon… Squeeze out the lemon juice, soak a cotton swab in it and thoroughly wipe the previously washed sole.
- Petrolatum… Suitable if the sole has cracks that are clogged with dirt. Apply petroleum jelly to the sole and after a few minutes, wipe it off with a dry cloth.
- Vinegar… Has the same effect as lemon. Soak a cotton ball in the vinegar and rub the sole well.
Whitening your white sneakers without spending a ton of cash on store-bought products is possible. All that is required of you is to choose a folk remedy suitable for the material and follow the instructions described.
Bleaching the soles of shoes is also not difficult, and so that it does not get dirty so much, you can cover it several times with colorless nail polish.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!