It happens that nausea occurs in children and adults, which develops into severe vomiting. We will figure out why this can happen, and also determine how to provide the patient with the first necessary aid, at what point you should contact a medical professional.
The content of the article:
Severe nausea and vomiting without fever in children or adults are the main causes
We list all the possible causes of nausea and vomiting in adults and indicate what other symptoms of painful conditions may still be present:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition to nausea, the patient may have belching, heartburn, pulling pains in the abdominal cavity. But note that there is no elevated temperature. The cause of this condition can be gastritis, chronic pancreatitis, hernia, stomach ulcer, functional dyspepsia, reflux and other serious diseases.
- Hepatitis. You may also see yellowing of the skin, dark urine, and lighter stool.
- Blow, fall. Dizziness also occurs. The patient feels weak.
- Diseases of the brain, such as cancer, tumor, hydrocephalus, and others. From them, the patient has infrequent vomiting, headaches, and an increase in pressure is also noted.
- Diseases of the vascular system are also the cause. In addition to nausea and vomiting, dizziness may occur, the pressure will increase or, on the contrary, it will decrease. The person will quickly get tired and feel weak. Diseases due to which such symptoms appear: hypotension, anemia, hypertension, etc.
- Diseases of the brain or malfunctioning of the nervous and mental systems. For example, such diseases are tumors, neuritis, and inflammation of the nerves. A person may lose balance, his head may spin sharply. In addition, he may start to vomit.
- The most dangerous condition is a condition after a rupture of cerebral vessels, or the appearance of an intracranial hematoma. The patient may suffer from nausea, a sharp headache, or even lose consciousness.
- Motion sickness when moving in transport.
- Meningitis. With it, not only vomiting may appear, but also such signs as headache, drowsiness, acute pain in the back and chest. A person can be “thrown” into a fever.
- Migraine. Signs that are listed in the previous paragraph may appear, but visual impairment and intolerance to odors, noise and even light will also be added to them.
- Anorexia, bulimia and other mental disorders.
- Medicines. For example, hormonal contraceptives, anti-tuberculosis, or iron supplements.
- Work in an industrial enterprise – a person can be poisoned by heavy metals. Vomiting may occur, accompanied by abdominal pain.
The younger generation may develop nausea and vomiting with other symptoms, just like adults. Let’s list the main causes, symptoms of diseases:
- In infants, this condition may be due to regurgitation, which occurs as a result of overfeeding. Rare regurgitation is not dangerous, after which the baby feels normal. But due to frequent regurgitation, esophagitis can develop.
- In infants, not only vomiting can occur, but also poor appetite. The toddler will not be able to gain weight due to frequent seizures. And the reason for this is the narrowed passage of the stomach, in another way it is also called pyloric stenosis.
- In babies from 1 year to 4 years old, nausea and even vomiting can be caused by a foreign body that the baby could swallow.
- A young child may experience not only vomiting, but also bloody stools, irritability, and abdominal pain. The cause of these symptoms is intestinal volvulus.
- A hernia can also cause not only nausea and vomiting, but also abdominal pain.
- Appendicitis. With him, babies also have the above symptoms.
- Intestinal infection is also one of the reasons. The child has a pulling pain in the tummy, diarrhea, and even the temperature rises.
- Sore throat, coughing can also cause vomiting.
Note that cyclical vomiting can occur in people of different ages, even children. The reasons for its occurrence are unknown. Experts note, along with vomiting, which manifests itself cyclically, and other symptoms: abdominal pain, weakness, dizziness, diarrhea, fever. Cyclic vomiting should be treated immediately. If it arose from scratch and you notice it for several years, then it can develop into a migraine.
See also: How to deal with nausea in pregnant women?
We study the type and content of vomit – when to see a doctor?
Often, young children are unable to communicate that they have pain. Of course, they don’t even know what nausea is. Parents can determine the causes of the painful condition by looking at what “leaves” the baby’s body. In addition, adults can also tell by their vomit what is wrong with them.
- Yellow-green color
This shade of vomiting means that the mass contains bile. She can “come out” due to food poisoning. As a rule, in case of poisoning or gastroenteritis, vomiting occurs several times a day. In the event that vomiting is repeated for more than 2 days, you should go to the hospital. You may also experience fever, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
This color of the mass confirms internal bleeding, which can appear due to diseases of the digestive tract, for example, gastritis. In this condition, you should immediately call the medical officer.
- Black or brown tint
These are clear signs that a large internal bleeding has occurred in the abdominal cavity. It also appears due to the fact that the vessels of the gastrointestinal tract have burst due to any disease of the abdominal cavity. In this condition, you should consult a doctor immediately!
First aid for a child and an adult with severe vomiting without fever
As soon as you notice that the baby is starting to vomit or vomit, do not leave the baby for a minute!
There are basic steps you can take to relieve your child’s condition.
Let’s list what to do when the baby is sick:
- In case of food poisoning. First, calm the child down. Surely, he was frightened by bouts of vomiting. Second, observe the water regime. Offer your baby to drink 1-2 teaspoons of boiled warm water every 15 minutes. As soon as vomiting stops, increase the dose. You can give the newborn 1 tablespoon of water. Usually, when children are poisoned, diarrhea appears. Dilute Smecta in a glass of warm water and slowly spoon it to the child.
- If you have an intestinal infection, you should also flush the stomach. It is important to call an ambulance. Only a doctor can prescribe a drug that should kill germs.
- In case of concussion, bruises, immediately consult a doctor! No need to rinse. In case of injuries, you should put the baby in bed, lay on his side and put a cold towel on his head.
If vomiting begins in children over 3 years of age, the cause should also be determined. Then – decide on the provision first aid:
- In case of poisoning, babies also need to do a gastric lavage.
- Let’s drink half a glass or a glass of warm boiled water to the crumbs.
- As soon as vomiting stops, you can dilute 1-2 tablets of activated charcoal in a glass, or a packet of “Smekty”, and force the child to drink it.
- With an intestinal infection, the child also needs to be washed and called a doctor.
For other diseases, washing will not help. The doctor must prescribe the necessary drug for the child.
Important: do not induce vomiting in children! This can damage the esophagus. Just make sure that the body is not dehydrated. In the case when the child is unconscious, you cannot induce vomiting either!
As a rule, adults provide first aid to themselves.
To stop frequent vomiting, you need to:
- Drink as much still water as possible. At least half a glass should be drunk at a time.
- Induce vomiting yourself.
- Stop taking medications.
- You can drink ginger (available in capsules), ginger ale, or gingerbread cookies.
- Drink juices – apple, cranberry.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!