The parish of St. John (Byzantine) in Solon, Ohio, is one of the oldest in the country. Founded in 1892, the church is a part of the Diocese of Cleveland. Its first pastor was Rev. John Csurgovich. In its early years, the parish was known as St. Agnes’ Church. In the 1980s, it was known as St. John the Baptist’s.
Located at 36125 Aurora Rd, Solon, Ohio, St. John Byzantine Catholic Church is a landmark for the area. For over a century, this parish has remained a place of faith for the community, despite its challenges. During the last few years, the parish has welcomed the new apostolic administrator, Bishop Milan Lach.
The parish is 116 years old and is still thriving today. Its founders immigrated from Eastern Europe and settled in the US. Each one brought with them a rich tradition and deep faith with them. Throughout its history, St John has remained true to its traditions and faith, and the parish is continuing to grow and expand. The community wishes to remain a beacon for the community and proclaim the Good News in spirit.
The parish is a stalwart of the city. Despite its size, the church parish has had to deal with a number of hardships. In fact, it has been in the area since 1923. It is a place where people from Eastern Europe have found refuge. Nonetheless, it has held firm to its faith and tradition. In the past, the community endured several difficult circumstances and has survived, retaining its rich heritage. As an institution of the Christian faith, St. John is a light for all and a beacon for the Good News.
St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Parish is the oldest parish in the Eparchy of Parma. It was founded in Cleveland’s Hungarian neighborhood, but was moved to Solon in 1983. The church’s 125th anniversary was recently celebrated Sept. 24. The new apostolic administrator, Bishop Milan Lach, has overseen the parish.
The church is 115 years old and is a part of the Eparchy of Parma, Ohio. Its founders came from Eastern Europe and settled in the area. They brought with them a rich tradition and deep faith. Their mission is to serve the community in the city. Its newest apostolic administrator is Bishop Milan Lach.
Founded in 1895, St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Parish in Solon is the oldest parish in the Eparchy of Parma. Originally located in Cleveland’s Hungarian neighborhood, it was moved to its current location in 1983. Its 125th anniversary is a special time to celebrate the church and its community. A visit to St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church is a wonderful way to connect with its mission in the community.
St. John the Baptist Church in Solon is one of the oldest in the Eparchy of Parma. It was originally founded in the Eastside Hungarian neighborhood of Cleveland, but in 1895 the parish relocated to Buckeye Rd. Its first elementary school was named after its founder. Currently, the parish is celebrating its 125th anniversary and welcomes Bishop Milan Lach, the former head of the eparchy.
St. John’s church is 116 years old. It was founded in Cleveland’s Eastside Hungarian neighborhood in 1895, but it was moved to its current location in Solon in 1908. In 1954, the parish started its first Hungarian Greek Catholic elementary school in the U.S. at its current address. While this is a historic milestone, St. John’s continues to be an important part of the community.
The church’s history traces its roots back to the 1700s. The first church in the area was built in 1786. Its name translates as “little Rome.” The second was built in 1868, and was dedicated on 31 Oct. 1954. It was built by Rev. Alexander Bobak, a native of Hungary. Its pastor, Father Kovalenko Smith, a member of the parish, was responsible for the project from 1952 to 1972.