Pros and cons of working as an editor – how to become an editor from scratch?
Everyone dreams of a prestigious profession. And one of the options for satisfying one’s ambitions is the profession of “editor”. Creative, exciting, but also challenging work for strong-willed, purposeful people with an organizational streak.
Is it possible to become an editor from scratch, and what you need to know about your future work?
The content of the article:
- Features of the editor
- Personal qualities and professional skills
- Career features and salary
- How to Become an Editor from Scratch – Learning
- Assistance in the work of the editor
Features of the editor’s work – what does an editor do on an Internet resource, a graphic editor or an editor in a publishing house?
First of all, it should be noted that the editor is one of the most responsible professions. It is the editor who “gets the heading” in case of errors or false information in the final version of the article.
Therefore, the main task of the editor is to keep a tireless and vigilant watch, that is, to monitor the work of his subordinates and the quality of their work.
However, much depends from the job profile.
The editor might be …
- Or an editor for a broadcast or a website.
Features of work depend on the specifics of a particular job.
What an editor does – main responsibilities:
- First of all, editing materials, correcting them in accordance with standards, styles, certain formats, etc.
- Help for authors (note – to improve the structure of texts).
- Solution of technical as well as artistic issues.
- Selection and formulation of relevant topics of materials, formation of an idea and determination of the course of work.
- Preparation of materials for printing, for publication, for airing.
- Management functions: distribution of tasks among subordinates and control over their execution.
Personal qualities and professional skills required for working as an editor – is this job right for you?
WITHAmong the main qualities that an editor should have, one can note …
- A responsibility.
- Attentiveness and accuracy.
- Excellent memory.
- Logic and intuition.
- Patience, endurance, emotional stability.
- Analytical mind.
- Organizational skills.
- Competent speaking / writing.
What are the professional skill requirements?
The editor needs to know …
- Foundations of legislative acts.
- Fundamentals of Economics (approx. – publishing, mass media).
- On the prospects for the development of the market.
- On the procedure for creating plans, schedules in editorial processes.
- Basics of editing and all preparation of articles, manuscripts, and other materials.
- On the procedure for concluding contracts.
- Printing / production technology.
Features of editorial careers and salary
Today the editor can work not only at the editorial office of a newspaper, in a book publishing house or on TV.
The field of editorial work also includes professional activities in electronic media, radio, news agencies and production companies etc.
The editor can also work remotely (approx. – freelance).
What is the editor’s salary?
It all depends on the place of work. On average, in large cities, the monthly earnings of an editor can be RUB 25,000-70000
It is worth mentioning the competition, which is quite high in prestigious places. If it is not so difficult to find a job in the editorial office of a small newspaper or in an electronic publication, then the line of ambitious specialists to prestigious publishing houses and media is very long, and often the companies themselves ensure that the struggle for vacant positions is toughened up.
However, a self-confident professional with a solid knowledge base will never be left without work.
Career growth – what can an editor expect?
As for the prospects for a career ladder, they depend on experience, place of work – and, of course, region.
In the editorial office of a small newspaper somewhere in the hinterland, of course, it will not work to climb high.
In megacities, there are much more opportunities, and each specialist has the opportunity to become a department head or editor-in-chief.
For example, a career as an editor in paper or electronic publishing looks like this:
- Graduate journalist turned correspondent.
- Further, the editor of the department.
- And a production editor.
And in a book publishing house …
- Freelance editor or associate editor.
- Lead editor.
How to become an editor from scratch – where to study to become an editor?
It is clear that without education it will not be possible to get a job as an editor in a prestigious job (and even in a small newspaper), higher education in the humanities is one of the main conditions.
Moreover, the closer it is directly to the specifics of the chosen profession, the more chances the applicant has for a position.
With great ambitions and requests, you will have to master …
- Linguistics and Philology.
- Literary creativity.
There are a lot of universities in which these specialties are taught in our country. And you don’t have to go to the capital to study.
You can start your job search with freelancing to gain experience. Today many electronic publishing houses are recruiting remote employees – this is a great opportunity for people living in a small town, as well as for people with disabilities.
Next, you should try your hand at the editorial office of the newspaper, it is there that they get that very invaluable work experience.
Well, then you should build on the available vacancies and requirements.
Help in the work of the editor – useful books, sites, programs and applications
Among useful Internet resources for the future editor, one can note …
- starling.rinet.ru (note – grammatical, etymological and other dictionaries).
- kursy.ru (note – A. Levitas’s course on mistakes in word usage).
- typo.mania.ru (note – about typography and not only).
- www.kursiv.ru/ (note – about the proofreading process in the publishing house).
- www.litsite.ru/category/pomosch-redaktora (note – extremely useful blog of editor Raisa Piragis).
- az.lib.ru/h/hawkina_l_b/text_0010.shtml (note – 2-digit tables by Khavkina).
- yWriter. A very convenient editor for structuring solid text volumes, as well as automatically saving the work done and accurately counting words. There is support for the Russian language.
- A fresh look. This Russian-language software with a simple interface will be useful for checking texts, eliminating tautologies, “combing” texts and finding flaws after “manual” proofreading. Online version of the software: quittance.ru/tautology.php.
- yEdit2. A simple program with notepad functions and the ability to limit the number of characters.
- XMind… This service is suitable for creative people, scientists, and even developers. With the help of the program, you can draw up “mental maps” that contribute to the visual display of an idea and its implementation.
- CELTX… Interesting and useful software for all writing people, which allows you to work with materials of different formats (approx. – text, audio / video and graphics).
And finally, a few tips for future editors:
- The editor of a print edition will not be hurt by the experience of working as a journalist, it is important for the editor of an online edition to know the principles of CEO, and it is better for a book editor to start a career with an assistant.
- Develop your typing speed and general PC skills, including all important programs (from Excel and Word to Photoshop, etc.).
- Cram your hand in author’s work, try yourself in various genres, focus on the target audience, choosing the language and style according to the tasks of the texts.
- Learn to work with serious amounts of information.
- Learn to check facts quickly.
- Learn the basics of spelling. The editor has no room for error (in every sense).
- Find a part-time job at your local newspaper. Even if they pay “pennies”, this experience (even remotely or for half a day) will be useful to you. Look for an opportunity to work as a professional editor’s assistant.
- Read a lot. Don’t miss the opportunity to broaden your horizons and look for mistakes. The more you read, the more mistakes you notice, the sharper your eyes.
Online education is real! Useful resources where you can get or continue your education for free
Bologny.ru website thanks you for your attention to the article! We will be very pleased if you share your feedback and tips in the comments below.
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!