Many expectant mothers know firsthand about such an unpleasant problem as bloating. The main factor provoking flatulence during pregnancy is the changing hormonal background, which literally involves all organs and systems in the general process of restructuring the body.
The cause of bloating can be both usual errors in nutrition and daily regimen, as well as still lurking diseases, therefore, in no case can you ignore an appeal to a doctor!
The content of the article:
The main causes of flatulence in early and late pregnancy
The “culprit” of changes in hormonal levels in the body of a pregnant woman is progesterone, whose action is aimed at relaxing the smooth muscles of the uterus in order to preserve the pregnancy.
But the hormone progesterone also has a great effect on the muscles of the stomach and intestines, which leads to a slowdown in motility and a change in the digestive process.
The main factors that result in flatulence:
- Lack of certain digestive enzymes in the digestive tract, which leads to poor digestion of food mass.
- Errors in the diet of a pregnant woman.
- Wrong choice of food and food. Flatulence can be provoked by food with an excess of carbohydrates, very rough food with an abundance of fiber, fatty and smoked foods, a large lack of vitamins and minerals in the diet.
- Inadequate intake of water and liquid food.
- Diseases of the digestive tract: gastritis, colitis and enterocolitis, duodenitis, cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, peptic ulcer, hepatitis, pancreatitis, etc.
- The pregnancy hormone is progesterone.
- In the second and third trimesters, bloating can cause constant pressure from the growing uterus on the intestines and digestive tract.
- Stress, physical and mental stress.
- Worm infestations, infectious diseases.
- Environmental factors.
- Incorrectly chosen clothing, squeezing the growing abdomen and chest.
Signs of bloating in a pregnant woman – when to see a doctor?
As we noted above, the cause of flatulence in the expectant mother can be chronic diseases that have appeared or become aggravated during pregnancy.
For what alarming symptoms a pregnant woman needs to see a doctor urgently?
Flatulence during pregnancy manifests itself as follows:
- The stomach seems to be bursting, sounds of rumbling, transfusion of food and gas bubbles are heard.
- The feeling of heaviness in the abdomen does not leave.
- Copious discharge of gases.
- Nausea – and not only in the morning on an empty stomach, as happens with toxicosis.
- Decreased appetite – a woman begins to be afraid to eat something, so as not to cause a violent reaction in the stomach again.
- Diarrhea may occur – or, conversely, constipation.
- The pregnant woman notes frequent belching, bad breath.
- As a result of poor digestion and constant worries about well-being, the expectant mother may experience headaches and dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, increased heart rate and surges in blood pressure.
Deterioration of general health and mood is not yet the most formidable consequences that can occur with strong and prolonged flatulence.
Serious complications can occur when enlarged bowel loops press hard on the uterus – it may arise tone, which is often the cause of premature termination of pregnancy and early birth.
In addition, any disturbances in digestion and appetite during pregnancy can lead to violations of intrauterine development of the child, because they will deprive him of a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals.
The expectant mother should remember: any ailments during pregnancy is a reason to see a doctor!
The most dangerous symptoms for which help should be provided immediately:
- Severe diarrhea and vomiting, signs of dehydration.
- Increased body temperature and fever.
- Pain in the abdomen of a different nature.
- Lack of appetite, severe nausea.
- Blood and mucus in stool.
Prevention of flatulence in a pregnant woman – adjusting the diet and regimen
The first thing to do is adjust your diet.
- It is necessary to take food fractionally, in small portions, increasing the number of meals and reducing the volume.
- It is better if the expectant mother takes food in a reclining position. Food must be chewed very carefully, remembering the golden rule – you must chew each portion at least 30 times.
Foods that provoke increased gas production should be excluded or sharply limited in the diet:
- All varieties of cabbage, especially raw. If you really want, for example, pies or soup with cabbage, then it is better to give preference to broccoli or cauliflower.
- Redis, daikon, radish.
- Eggplants and peppers in any form.
- All legumesincluding green beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, beans, soy.
- Fruits and berries, especially fresh apples, grapes, plums, peaches, apricots. Also, candied fruits and juices from these berries and fruits are not recommended.
- Milk products, including kefir, yoghurts, cottage cheese and fresh milk.
- All drinks with gas, including mineral sparkling water.
- Fatty meat products, smoked meats.
- Yeast bread and bakery products.
- Sweet confectionery and sweets, chocolate.
Foods that help reduce flatulence:
- Rice, loose buckwheat.
- Low-fat meats, poultry.
- Whole grain bread.
- Boiled carrots and beets.
- Low-fat fish and all seafood.
- Green tea, compote with bird cherry.
- Oatmeal on the water.
- Steamed protein omelets.
- Fresh parsley, fennel, cilantro and dill to the table.
We adjust physical activity and regime:
- It is necessary to organize the correct daily routine, in which the night rest should be at least 9-10 hours, a couple of daily breaks for half an hour to rest, when the expectant mother can simply lie down with her legs raised.
- Particular attention should be paid to sufficient physical activity of the pregnant woman.so that the intestines work well. These are walks in the fresh air, and feasible special gymnastics exercises for pregnant women, and breathing exercises daily.
- Shoes and clothes should be comfortable, not tight, match the gestational age. No corsets or high heels!
- It is very helpful to massage the abdomen after meals.stroking it around the navel clockwise. Do not press on under any circumstances!
- Swimming and aqua aerobics for pregnant women.
Treatment of increased gas production during pregnancy – how can a doctor help?
Since we are talking about a woman expecting a baby, the treatment of flatulence, intestinal cramps and other unpleasant problems associated with increased gas production should be based on means and methods that are completely safe for the pregnant woman and the fetus.
Treatment in any case should be prescribed by a doctor! It is worth recalling that without the recommendation of a doctor, the expectant mother cannot even take herbal infusions.
Drugs for the treatment of flatulence that a doctor may prescribe:
- Espumisan. The drug destroys gas bubbles in the intestines and significantly relieves flatulence. A safe medicine, it is usually prescribed in a dosage of 2 capsules at bedtime.
- Iberogast… Carminative drug containing plant components without any chemical constituents. It has not only carminative, but also bactericidal, anti-inflammatory, choleretic properties. It must be taken on the recommendation and under the supervision of a doctor! For pregnant women, Iberogast is usually prescribed in a dosage of 20 drops before meals three times a day.
- Diflatil and Simethicone. It is prescribed by a doctor according to the scheme 25-30 drops after meals, 3-4 times a day.
- Simicop. Doctors recommend that their patients take 0.5 ml of this drug before meals.
- Meteospasmil. Usually 1-2 capsules are prescribed up to three times daily before meals.
- Sub simplex… Dosage – 30 drops with or after meals.
- Bifidum-bacterin, trilacg, ecoflor… These drugs are prescribed to expectant mothers to restore normal intestinal microflora.
Pregnant women are contraindicated Maalox plus, Nasigel cherry, Liquid antacid “York”, Maisigel, Zeolat, Almakon.
Folk remedies for flatulence during pregnancy
Herbal decoctions and folk remedies during pregnancy should also be taken only on the recommendation of a doctor!
- Infusion of coriander seeds. Crush a tablespoon of seeds, pour a glass of boiling water and insist. Drink a third of a glass of infusion three times a day 15 minutes before meals.
- Lemon balm and chamomile tea.
- Infusion of the watch. Pour two teaspoons of a dry watch with a glass of boiling water, insist, strain. Drink half a glass before meals.
- Dill and dill water. It is recommended to season all dishes with fresh or dried dill. Dill water is prepared by pouring a tablespoon of seeds with two glasses of boiling water and infused until completely cooled. You need to drink half a glass of water before each meal.
- Ginger. It is recommended to add a quarter teaspoon of ginger powder or one plastic of fresh ginger to tea in the morning and in the evening. You should drink this tea after meals.
- Clay, nut and lemon paste. Scroll in a meat grinder 100 grams of peeled nuts (you can take pine or walnuts), one lemon with the peel. Add 50 grams of pure clay (buy at the pharmacy) to the mixture, add honey or stevia herb for a sweet taste. Mix well, store the mixture in the refrigerator. Take a teaspoon of pasta half an hour before meals in the morning and evening.
The Bologny.ru website warns: self-medication can harm your health! Use all the presented tips only after examination and on the recommendation of a doctor!
Must share this useful content with your loved one's
Visit Bologny for more useful and informative articles!